Youth club director recovering from shooting
Publication Date: Friday Jan 6, 1995

CRIME: Youth club director recovering from shooting

Husband charged with attempted murder; bail set at $1 million

Jacquelyn Hodge, executive director of the Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula, was recovering last week following surgery to remove a bullet from her head.

Hodge, 46, was shot in the temple Dec. 22 during an argument with her husband, Lionel Hodge, a former Vallejo City Council member who San Mateo County sheriff's investigators arrested and charged with attempted murder. Lionel Hodge, 51, appeared in San Mateo County Municipal Court last Thursday, where Commissioner Joseph Gruber increased his bail to $1 million from $500,000. It was the second time Hodge's bail had been raised from the original amount of $100,000. He is expected to enter a plea Jan. 11.

Jacquelyn Hodge last week filed for divorce from her husband and filed a civil lawsuit against him for "shooting her in the head as she was seated in the front seat of her stationary automobile."

The lawsuit seeks compensatory damages for lost wages, hospital and medical expenses and general damages, according to her attorney, Timothy Wright. No amount was specified.

Jacquelyn Hodge grew up in Menlo Park's Belle Haven neighborhood and graduated from Menlo-Atherton High School. She has served since 1990 as executive director of the Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula, which has branches in Redwood City and Menlo Park.

She and her husband met while in school at the University of California, Berkeley. They have been married for 26 years.

The two apparently got into an argument after she arrived home from work, according to sheriff's investigators. The Hodges live in a duplex on Loyola Avenue in an unincorporated area of Menlo Park near Atherton.

"Our information is there has been prior abuse, but there is no documentation on that, yet," said Karen Guidotti, the prosecutor who filed the charges.

Hodge, who was conscious following the shooting and was found leaning against her car, told investigators that her husband tried to choke her. She left the house, she told investigators, went to the garage, got into her Nissan Sentra and attempted to leave.

Sheriff's investigators said Hodge declined to explain over what the two were fighting. Hodge's husband followed her and got into the back seat of the car, where the two continued to argue until he shot her with a .22-caliber handgun, sheriff's investigators said.

Lionel Hodge went next door to tell a neighbor to call for help, saying his wife was injured. The neighbor, who followed him back to the garage, told investigators that Hodge stood in the garage with the gun in his hand. Sheriff's Lt. Cheryl Horan said the gun had been fired only once.

Investigators said Hodge, a self-employed regional and urban planner, later admitted during questioning that he had shot his wife, claiming it was an accident.

Two days after the shooting, Jacquelyn Hodge underwent surgery at Stanford Hospital to remove the bullet, which was lodged under the skin on her forehead. Wright, her attorney, said she was recovering at an undisclosed hospital.

--Rufus Jeffris 

Back up to the Table of Contents Page