Police Log
Publication Date: Wednesday Sep 20, 1995

Police Log

An East Palo Alto man became the city's fourth homicide victim this year on Sept. 8. Jose Abalos Juarez, 62, was found in his Poplar Street home by his two daughters. He had been struck in his head with a sharp object, said Sgt. Don O'Keefe of the East Palo Alto Regional Investigative Bureau. Juarez was home alone at the time, and there are no suspects. The apparent motive was robbery or burglary, and the investigation is continuing.

Two Palo Alto Union Bank branches were robbed Sept. 11 in unrelated incidents. The first robbery was at 10 a.m. at 4291 El Camino Real by a black man in his late 20s or early 30s, 5-8 with a stocky build, according to detective Michael Yore. He was wearing a red golf cap, long-sleeved black hooded sweat shirt and loose fitting dark blue sweat pants. The second robbery was at 12:10 p.m. at the downtown branch on University Avenue. That robber was a white man in his early 20s, 5-10 with a muscular build, a red mustache and a goatee. He was wearing a light blue baseball cap, a blue sweatshirt, and dark pants. He used a blue steel handgun in the robbery. Anyone with information on either robbery is asked to call Yore at 329-2558.

Menlo Park Fire Captain Paul Young broke his arm responding to a fire that damaged a Menlo Park apartment Sept. 9. The fire, at 465 Garwood Way, caused $10,000 of damage to one apartment. Young broke his arm while attempting to enter the building. Firefighters found a can of gasoline in the burned area and police are seeking a former tenant of the apartment for questioning.

Menlo Park police arrested a San Jose man Sept. 3 for getting drunk and mistreating his 3-year-old son in public. John Chavez, 33, has been charged with willful cruelty to a child and corporal injury to a child-- both of which are felonies--and habitual drunkenness in the presence of a child. Police Commander Steve Lewis said Chavez and his son came to Menlo Park to drink with Chavez's friends in a homeless camp under the El Camino Real bridge. When Chavez went to a nearby store to buy more alcohol, his son was found wandering on the street by a passerby and taken into the store. Lewis said that Chavez got angry and shook his son very hard, prompting onlookers to call the police. The child was released to Child Protective Services.

Back up to the Table of Contents Page