I believe that University Avenue should be turned into a bicycle and pedestrian mall, from Cowper to Emerson. Some of my reasons:
1. Parking is difficult on the street, and the loss of these places will not significantly change the parking situation.
2. Businesses will still get the same amount of buying traffic to them since there will be more people on the street.
3. There are much better ways to get through this part of town; University is not a very fast connector.
4. It could be made so much nicer with flagstones, plants and trees.
5. Everyone goes to University to walk down it anyway; does anyone need to tour it by car?
6. It will be much safer for everyone; near misses on this street are pretty common for pedestrians, bicycles and cars.
I understand that this must have been discussed many times before, and I think I also understand some of the sacrifices involved: more traffic on side streets, having to detour around instead of barreling across University, the cost involved, etc.
What do you think? Has this ever been put on a ballot for a vote? Do you think it should be?