Town Square

Post a New Topic

Save Our State

Original post made by SOS, Barron Park, on Mar 5, 2010

California is being ruined by gridlock and dysfunction. Fortunately, there is a simple legislative fix: the California Democracy Act.

This simple, non-partisan constitutional amendment, which changes just two words in the California Constitution (from two-thirds to majority), holds the prospect of unjamming the legislature.

It might just save our state.

Check out these links and sign the petition

Web Link

Web Link

Comments (7)

Like this comment
Posted by Be First Calif.
a resident of another community
on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:19 pm

yea right, the flood gates of taxation would open and wash what is left of California into the Pacific.

We are the highest taxes people in the United States.
- We are the most regulated state in the United States.
- - We are SOOL if there is not total regime change in Sacramento.

Like this comment
Posted by Perspective
a resident of Meadow Park
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:49 am

Gosh, sounds like someone wants to do to the rest of California what is happening in DC to the nation.

do we really want that?

No checks left, no balances? 50.01% can vote in yet more taxes and regs, when already with 2/3 vote we get ever more taxed and regged every year? ( 1,000 NEW BILLS SIGNED INTO LAW EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!)


Like this comment
Posted by SOS
a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm

California is actually ahead of the curve when it comes to legislative gridlock--it would be a step forward if we had merely federal-style gridlock.

As it is, 33.34% can hold the state hostage to their whims. It's time to let the majority rule again.

Like this comment
Posted by Sean
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Mar 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm

California leads the nation in a combination of regulations, high taxation, illegal immigration, anti-business attitudes, anti-economic growth, anti-nukes, anti-drilling for oil, anti-traditional family values, anti-patriotism...and we wonder why this state is going to hell?

Changing the state constitution to exaccerbate these problems will only drill us further into the hole. It is just cover for another tax-the-rich scheme, as our rich and middle class families are fleeing this state...or getting progressively less rich and less middle class.

When the boat has a hole in the bottom, it makes no sense to make another hole to let the water out.

Like this comment
Posted by SOS
a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

"Changing the state constitution to exaccerbate these problems"

Correct. That is why we need to support undoing the gridlock, which is the reason the state is, as you put it, going to hell.

Like this comment
Posted by Perspective
a resident of Meadow Park
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:59 am

Web Link

Best way to reform California? Put the legislature back to where it was before 1966, back to a part-time status legislature, where they have much more limited means of coming up with oppressive regulations and taxes.

Sign the petition to return us to pre-1966 govt in California, back to the days of #1 in education, #1 in lifestyle, #1 in growth.

Web Link

No more Simitian-style contests for "what law should I work on this year to the tune of $100,000s", like the oh-so-great cell phone law, and now the texting law?

Like this comment
Posted by Perspective
a resident of Meadow Park
on Mar 14, 2010 at 6:03 am

BTW, beware pure "democracy", where 50.01% of the population, which happens to be lions, can vote on whether or not to eat the other 49.99%, which happen to be sheep, in the population.

Follow the logic to the conclusion...

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Fu Lam Mum shutters temporarily in Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 5 comments | 3,460 views

How Does Silicon Valley’s Culture Affect Your Marriage?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 920 views


Best Of Palo Alto ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "Best Of Palo Alto" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 29th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 21st issue of the Palo Alto Weekly.