Searching for their father's killer

Original post made on Sep 10, 2021

Determined to find their father's killer, a son and a daughter set out to unearth what really happened in North Beach in the early morning hours of Jan. 22, 1972, and why San Francisco police have quietly closed the case.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 10, 2021, 7:01 AM

Posted by JonnyK
a resident of Ventura
on Sep 10, 2021 at 10:06 am

JonnyK is a registered user.

Sue Dremann did such an amazing job on my dad's story. It's an overwhelming amount of information and she got it right. Kudos to the editor as well.

I'm glad that Frank Falzon responded to the Weekly. I wasn't expecting it. I knew that he'd never admit to doing anything wrong but I do appreciate him going on record in reaction to our investigation and to this story. Man oh man. It's incredible to hear him now say that the suspect's boots were "professionally cleaned" - he told us from day one that Eugene had simply put shoe polish over the blood and contaminated it. If they had been professionally cleaned I would think that there would be no visible blood on them (is that the story now?). Cold case detective Pera told us in 2010 that there are still visible drops of blood on the boots.

I just wish we'd get the truth, that's all we want. And I do think Frank is being truthful about sympathizing with us, I appreciate that, and I'm sorry to hear that he also lost his father at such a young age. With his long history of dealing with horrifying crimes and the fall out for victim's families I know he understands our determination to get answers. For some reason he can't give them. Like I told Sgt. Levy on the phone last year, maybe it was out of his hands, maybe I'm mad at the wrong person.

The SFPD, DA's office, the Mayor, and other S.F. illuminaries still haven't responded to an open letter I sent two months ago, and then resent last month. I'm afraid that they're going to destroy the case file and evidence now that the cold case is closed - if they haven't already. They won't even respond to this story.... they're acting like they're sitting on top secret JFK assassination files. What gives?

Posted by jr1
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Sep 10, 2021 at 10:54 am

jr1 is a registered user.

Since police feel the suspect passed away, why not release all the information including the DNA test.

Posted by eyeswideopen
a resident of Professorville
on Sep 10, 2021 at 10:55 am

eyeswideopen is a registered user.

I am heart broken reading of all this. Oh how I wish the family could have some closure, truth, peace.

Sue Dremann did an amazing job. She is a treasure.

Posted by jhskrh
on Sep 10, 2021 at 11:25 am

jhskrh is a registered user.

Why doesn't the SFPD deal with this? By stalling it makes it look like they have something to hide, do they? If the family was affluent and well connected in San Francisco, you can bet this would have been resolved decades ago. I hope this is resolved soon so the family can have closure. DA and PD seem to be treating this like a hot potato. It is not right.

Posted by eileen
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 10, 2021 at 8:55 pm

eileen is a registered user.

Sue Dremann is a Palo Alto treasure! Thank you for such an interesting read!
I hope the family can have closure!

Posted by Sandy L
on Sep 15, 2021 at 10:47 am

Sandy L is a registered user.

What a tremendous article. They police need to get all their information together and share it with the Kinyon Family. This family deserves to know the truth about the father's truth. They are a long time Palo Alto Family, and very devoted to their community.
Please, it's time the authorities help them get closure on this case. No one should have to wait so long when the truth lies in the documentation the authorities are hiding.
Time to work together as a team. They deserve the whole truth.

Posted by Maggie
a resident of Portola Valley
on Sep 19, 2021 at 9:38 am

Maggie is a registered user.

Sadly, it's clear this will never be resolved. The city of SF, especially the SFPD has been corrupt since the 60's.

Anyone who want to understand the political and legal culture in San Francisco during that time should read Season of the Witch by David Talbot.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from Palo Alto Online sent to your inbox in the Express newsletter.

Craving a two-foot pizza? Pizzone serves Milan-style magic in Palo Alto.
By The Peninsula Foodist | 3 comments | 7,307 views

PA's downtown business problems not simple to solve
By Diana Diamond | 7 comments | 5,956 views

Is renewable diesel the real deal?
By Sherry Listgarten | 3 comments | 4,112 views