Eager for your child to be vaccinated? Help is on the way ... despite some bumps in the road

Original post made on Aug 27, 2021

Reporter Angela Swartz's year-old son won a spot in Pfizer's landmark pediatric COVID-19 vaccine trial at Stanford University School of Medicine this summer. She gives an account what the experience has been like.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 27, 2021, 6:50 AM

Posted by PA Community Advocate
on Aug 27, 2021 at 3:36 pm

PA Community Advocate is a registered user.

Kids being experimental subjects is a complicated topic. Personally as an adult I would be honored to participate in a vaccine trial. [Portion removed.]

Posted by bill1940
a resident of Menlo Park
on Aug 27, 2021 at 3:42 pm

bill1940 is a registered user.

Dear Angela,

We are so fortunate to have parents like you. And, yes, Theo will be very proud of himself when he is old enough to appreciate what he did for all children in his age group as well as the rest of us who wish to see this pandemic come to an end.

Kindest regards,
Bill1940 (my age group)

Posted by Chris C.
a resident of Community Center
on Aug 27, 2021 at 6:31 pm

Chris C. is a registered user.

My under-12 kids wanted to volunteer for the trial, but didn't get in. Thank you so much for doing this, and my kids (and all their friends) are eagerly awaiting the results!

Posted by Jennifer
on Aug 28, 2021 at 9:46 am

Jennifer is a registered user.

I respect her decision, but it would be against my better judgment. Even if I did consider (and I wouldn't) there would be something in the consent form that might give me pause. Researchers are helpful, but they didn't give birth to my children.

Posted by Ari Fleischman
a resident of Atherton
on Aug 28, 2021 at 10:00 am

Ari Fleischman is a registered user.

Sounds potentially risky (on the part of some parents) willing to subject their infants to experimentation.

On the other hand, scientists won't be able to establish any under-12 vaccination efficacy without volunteers.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from Palo Alto Online sent to your inbox in the Express newsletter.

Pescadero’s farmworkers can’t afford the food they’re growing for the Peninsula
By The Peninsula Foodist | 4 comments | 2,731 views

“To get the full value of joy . . .

We need an audit of city spending
By Diana Diamond | 7 comments | 1,820 views

Register today to support local nonprofits

The 38th annual Moonlight Run and Walk is Friday evening, September 9. Proceeds go to the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund, benefiting local nonprofits that serve families and children in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. Join us under the light of the full Harvest Moon on a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon. Complete your race in person or virtually to support local nonprofits.

Register Now!