Mountain View Community Center reaches 9K COVID-19 vaccine doses in first weeks

Original post made on Feb 19, 2021

A mass vaccination center in Mountain View, which averages about 878 appointments per day, has helped boost Santa Clara County's immunization efforts that have largely centered on San Jose.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 18, 2021, 2:10 PM

Posted by Annette
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 19, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Annette is a registered user.

Kudos to the County and the city of Mtn View for the way in which this vaccination center is being run. Every aspect of the operation was efficient, well-organized, and easy to navigate. No chaos, no confusion, simply a well-run operation. On top of that, everyone was pleasant. THANK YOU to all who have a hand in this.

Posted by BruceS
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Feb 19, 2021 at 3:31 pm

BruceS is a registered user.

I'll echo the previous comment. I thought they did a very good job also.

One thought that might help people on parking. When I went, there was plenty of parking available behind the Senior Center, which is at the back entrance to Rengstorff Park. A short walk brings you back to the main building (vaccination site).

Posted by Marie
a resident of South of Midtown
on Feb 19, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Marie is a registered user.

A friend just got her first vaccination in Mt. View which she chose as it is easier to access for a senior, only to be told she had to get her second shot at Levi Stadium which can be a nightmare to navigate, especially if you are older. This makes no sense.

Posted by Midtown Local
on Feb 19, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Midtown Local is a registered user.

I agree with Annette: my experience at the Mountain View site was excellent. Straightforward intake, not too much waiting, easy shot, second appointment booked in the post-shot waiting area. Wish all of the sites worked so well. Good job, folks!

Posted by parent
on Feb 19, 2021 at 5:07 pm

parent is a registered user.

Agree that the process at the Mountain View center was well run.

My one complaint was that they were scheduling people for their 2nd dose more than the CDC/FDA recommendation of getting the 2nd dose within 6 weeks.

I had to call the Santa Clara County Health Dept to reschedule so I will get my 2nd dose within the 6 weeks time frame.

Posted by Bill Stewart
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 20, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Bill Stewart is a registered user.

Got my first shot at the fairgrounds, and I'm scheduled to get my second one there next week. If you've got a car, it's straightforward to get there, there's enough parking that their daily crowd could all arrive at once (not that they can give shots that fast), and it wasn't very crowded. You use one of the side entrances to the fairgrounds parking. The parking lot across the street has drive-through COVID testing. (If Mountain View had been open back then, I could have walked.)

I've only been to Levi's Stadium for a couple of concerts, took the light rail from Mountain View, and it worked fine, by the standards of "handling 50,000 people at once, most of whom can walk"; I don't know if the vaccination area is close enough to the train for people who have trouble walking distances.

Now to get my mom to get a shot; she's in another state, isn't very mobile, and if it weren't for COVID she should probably be in assisted living, and the vaccination systems around her aren't really set up for making house calls.

Posted by Irene
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 22, 2021 at 3:03 pm

Irene is a registered user.

I had my first shot (Pfizer) last Thursday (2/18) as well, and I agree 100% with Annette's description of the set up and staff. To the poster (Marie) whose friend was disappointed about having to go to Levi's Stadium: Levi's is the only location with sufficient doses of Pfizer to administer shot #2. This is per one of staff in the MVCC observation room. This impacts me too.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

All-day Indian cafe opens in Redwood City with a focus on takeout

Polar vortexes and clean energy in the Upper Midwest
By Sherry Listgarten | 4 comments | 3,531 views

Premarital and Couples: What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay in Vegas

Union demands too many: Open up the schools now!
By Diana Diamond | 12 comments | 2,533 views

Perseverance Landing
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 883 views

Calling all photographers!

Enter your best shots in the Peninsula Photo Contest. Open to anyone who lives, works or attends school within the 650 area code. There are both Adult and Youth divisions and six different categories to submit your digital images. Deadline for entries is March 22.

Contest Details