Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Legacy

Original post made by Ardan Michael Blum, Downtown North, on Sep 19, 2020

Ruth Bader Ginsburg died right before the start of the Jewish new year. Ruth was a sort of Shofar[*] as her voice stood for the core values of respect, equality and power for the oppressed. But that is my personal view.

What are YOUR memories of Ruth Bader Ginsburg? Your thoughts on her passing, your hopes for the future?

* Ancient musical horn typically made of a ram's horn used to unite the ancient tribe of Israel during the Jewish High Holidays. [Image I took of "waves in the sand" at Half Moon Bay]

24 people like this
Posted by Judith T.
on Sep 19, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Judith T. is a registered user.

I had the feeling that Ruth was trying to hold on till the elections. I do not know this for a fact, but it seemed that she did not want our current president to have any power / say in her replacement at the Supreme Court. In many ways her passing will, I feel, give a new force to the Democratic party vote.

To me, growing up in NY in the 1930s in a highly orthodox Jewish household I wanted, and found my emancipation. I went to a liberal arts college, forgot most of the Yiddish I learnt and started my own road. Ruth Baber was part of this road. She walked at my side. Bless her! May she rest in Peace!

23 people like this
Posted by Yolanda E. May
a resident of Stanford
on Sep 19, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Yolanda E. May is a registered user.

Ardan thank you! Lovely topic! I was lucky to hear RBG speak here at Stanford. Video Web Link

23 people like this
Posted by Judith T.
on Sep 20, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Judith T. is a registered user.

Had to come back with this Web Link (on vox.com) which ends with this wonderful sentence: "Justice Ginsburg died an optimist because she’d seen the impossible happen. She made much of it happen herself. May the memory of that age of optimism be a blessing."

6 people like this
Posted by Ardan Michael Blum
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 21, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Ardan Michael Blum is a registered user.

There is just published on this site: "What I will remember about Ruth Bader Ginsburg" by Diana Diamond. A touching and lovely message found at Web Link

6 people like this
Posted by Ardan Michael Blum
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 21, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Ardan Michael Blum is a registered user.

Palo Alto Flags Lowered In Honor Of Ruth Bader Ginsburg! More: Web Link

2 people like this
Posted by Rebecca Eisenberg
on Sep 21, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Rebecca Eisenberg is a registered user.

I wrote this post after attending a local vigil in Justice Ginsburg's memory Saturday night.

Web Link

I also posted it as a comment to Diana Diamond's lovely column here Web Link (before I saw your topic as well!).

Thank you for collecting these memories. Justice Ginsburg changed so many lives for the better. Zichronah livracha.

4 people like this
Posted by Lee Forrest
on Sep 22, 2020 at 7:58 am

Lee Forrest is a registered user.

> "...your hopes for the future?"

^ In regards to the future of the SCOTUS...hoping that the new associate justice will embrace & share the judicial visions of RBG & Louis Brandeis (along with William O. Douglass & Thurgood Marshall).

A 6-3 conservative to liberal SCOTUS imbalance will keep America in the dark ages.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

How to Buy a Used EV
By Sherry Listgarten | 5 comments | 3,034 views

Premarital and Couples: Giving Thanks

Gates sets an example for local billionaires to emulate
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 1,495 views

Pie Brings People Together

Tree Lighting Ceremonies
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 811 views

Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund

For the last 26 years, the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund has given away more than $7 million to local nonprofits serving children and families. When you make a donation, every dollar is automatically doubled, and 100% of the funds go directly to local programs. It’s a great way to ensure your charitable donations are working at home.

DONATE HERE