Mask on, gloves off: How to stay safe as counties loosen restrictions | Town Square | Palo Alto Online |

Mask on, gloves off: How to stay safe as counties loosen restrictions

Original post made on May 22, 2020

Even as residents are gradually allowed to step outside, Dr. Jonathan Blum, chief of infectious disease at Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara Medical Center, said in an interview that stopping the spread of COVID-19 is an ongoing mission.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 22, 2020, 6:51 AM

4 people like this
Posted by Anon
on May 22, 2020 at 8:41 am

I have to disagree with the good doctor about one thing. I think people should wear "exam" gloves when using touchscreens at banks and grocery stores, and afterwards, decontaminate those gloves, and then carefully remove them without touching the exterior. Not difficult with a little practice.

4 people like this
Posted by Rubber Gloves = Overkill Measures
on May 22, 2020 at 8:44 am

> "I think people should wear "exam" gloves when using touchscreens at banks and grocery stores, and afterwards, decontaminate those gloves,"

^^ Many touchscreens now have plastic covers so all one needs to do is use some hand sanitizer afterwards.

4 people like this
Posted by Brit
on May 22, 2020 at 8:46 am

Great article and common sense advice! Now open ALL businesses and churches back up that social distance ASAP

12 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on May 22, 2020 at 12:03 pm

I'm reading news reports from states that reopened local businesses in the past couple of weeks, then saw a surge in new COVID-19 cases 1-2 weeks later. States were reopening because they had excess hospital capacity, not because the virus is under control. Some are now afraid that hospitals are again filling up. The disease is still not curable and there is still no vaccine.

14 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 22, 2020 at 12:38 pm

Resident - what you are hearing is about georgia, Texas, Alabama, which opened up everything. We are doing slow, modest openings. Nothing on the scale of those states.
What do you suggest, we remain Cody's prisoners until there is a vaccine?

19 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on May 22, 2020 at 2:21 pm

We need a more open discussion about how many fatalities is acceptable. At one time, Fox News was saying a 4 percentage point increase in nationwide fatalities should be tolerable to protect the economy and some southern governors were even saying that senior citizens should be willing to sacrifice their lives to protect the economy. They quickly shut up after cries of "I'm not sacrificing my parents for your profits" and no one seems to be willing to talk about this anymore. If we are going to reopen the economy without any vaccine for the virus, fatality rates have to be part of the equation. Don't keep this discussion hidden. It affects all of us.

1 person likes this
Posted by Walker
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 24, 2020 at 2:10 pm

It would be really helpful if people walking outdoors at night would carry a flashlight or attach some kind of light to themselves that would make them visible. I carry a light so I can be seen but there are so many I encounter who wear dark clothing and can't be seen. They don't seem to care about social distancing and walk right into me, even though I have a flash light. Although it is irritating, I'm happy to get out of the way of those who walk with their heads down, focused on their cellphones, but if I can't see them I don't have time to step into the street. I'm a caregiver and can't risk getting sick.

I've noticed that the younger folks I've encountered while walking outdoors don't seem to care about social distancing. They walk right into me or creep up behind me while I'm waiting for a traffic light to change or a car to pass. They don't seem to understand the six foot rule or even worse, don't seem to care.

Wearing a mask and standing six feet apart are very simple things that could save lives. I don't know why there are so many who won't comply.

4 people like this
Posted by Observer
on May 24, 2020 at 2:55 pm

I continue to see young adults and teens (who are not from the same household) out together in public close together.

7 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 24, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Observer - how do you know they are not from the same household?

2 people like this
Posted by Observer
on May 24, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Young people, in some cases apparent romantic partners who look strikingly different. Different hair colors, heights. Acting romantic but too young to be live in or marrieds.
Three young men, again not highly similiar in characteristics, cycling two feet apart. Huge conversation, I doubt siblings.
Three YA girls chatting up a storm.
You see it.

6 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 24, 2020 at 9:07 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Anon
on May 24, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Posted by Let us out, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis

>> Resident - what you are hearing is about georgia, Texas, Alabama, which opened up everything.

Lots of statistics here: Web Link
What do you want to know? You can look up Georgia, Texas, Alabama, as well as countries like Sweden. Sweden that we've been told is a great example of what we should be doing-- and, has the highest current per-capita death rate at this moment and top-10 (looks like approx. #6 or so) in overall death rate up to now.

>> We are doing slow, modest openings. Nothing on the scale of those states.
What do you suggest, we remain Cody's prisoners until there is a vaccine?

"Prisoners?" If you really want to expose yourself, I'm sure there is a way. For my part, I'm trying to avoid it.

5 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 25, 2020 at 11:08 am

Observer - those young men could have been a gay couple or housemates.

Anon- please read my initial post. I do not expect us to open the way georgia and Texas did. I never said that Sweden was the example to follow. I said slow and modest openings. Do you think the current way is sustainable until we get a vaccine. At last Sundays town hall Cody stared we were not ready to move on. By Monday morning, we were ready.

Just read that houses of worship will open.
If you do not want to go out than don't.

1 person likes this
Posted by Anon
on May 25, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Posted by Let us out, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis

>> At last Sundays town hall Cody stared we were not ready to move on. By Monday morning, we were ready.

I don't think there is anywhere in the world where people have a solid, time-tested process for balancing economic necessity v. public health necessity. I can second-guess SCC public health just like anyone. (How many Covid-19 transmissions have actually occurred via outside park benches?) But, knowing how difficult this is, I'm going to mute my criticism of public officials who are having to try to achieve that balance.

>> Just read that houses of worship will open. If you do not want to go out than don't.

Trust me, I won't. Apparently group singing is *the* most efficient way known to spread COVID-19:

Web Link

Web Link

So, I'm glad that you brought that up, because, a lot of RWAs are trying to make that an issue of religious freedom, but, it actually is a public health issue.

5 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 25, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Anon- my take is that between the disasterous town hall on Sunday and the abrupt turn around on Monday is that Cody heard from the person she answers to. I think that person told her you cannot imply that because there is no vaccine that we must remain in this situation until we have one.
I cannot think of another reason for the numbers suddenly looking good in less than 24 hours.

1 person likes this
Posted by Resident
on May 25, 2020 at 4:18 pm

@Let us out

Change of heart of Dr. Cody was, in my opinion, due to sales tax dollars. With SCC retail closed, and retail open in other counties, where would people go to spend their money? Of course, to the retail that was open.

SCC did not want to lose sales tax dollars to other counties. Dr. Cody couldn't care less about sales tax dollars, but those who pull her strings do. Money speaks louder.

At least it is my reading of what changed in 24 hours.

5 people like this
Posted by Let us out
on May 25, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Resident--at first I thought that her strings were being pulled by others ( Palo Alto's dream - one of their own controlling the county). But then I learned she is answerable to only the governor.
That explains the frustratiom of the supervisors. She is not answerable to them and does not have to give straight answers or facts to anyone.
I am sure they explained to her that SCC is not an island.
Let's be honest the current situation is not tenable forever. People will have to Mahe decisions based on what they are comfortable with