Free COVID-19 tests available for all county residents at 2 new locations | Town Square | Palo Alto Online |

Free COVID-19 tests available for all county residents at 2 new locations

Original post made on May 20, 2020

COVID-19 tests are now available to all Santa Clara County residents at two new locations in San Jose, county and city officials said Wednesday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 2:09 PM

8 people like this
Posted by Palo Alto Resident
a resident of Evergreen Park
on May 20, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Mayor Fine says that it is important to fund a consulting contract to plan for how to implement housing requirements that might coming down from the State. But, he and the majority of the current City Council are refusing to even call a study session to review the coming ABAG decrees and to allow residents to provide input as to how to respond to them.

Apparently all we should do is respond to what others tell us we should do — and pay big money for it — rather than try to shape the requirements themselves. Seems like too little too late to me.

But, as we have seen in the current budget discussions, the majority of the Council would rather cut the number of police and fire personnel that consultants for their pet projects.

3 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on May 21, 2020 at 8:02 am

I am glad to see testing more easily available these days. Who should be getting tested at this point? I understand that healthcare workers and essential workers need to get tested monthly. What about us in Palo Alto who are sheltering in place? Should we get tested even if we are not feeling any symptoms?

2 people like this
Posted by Paula Zenti
a resident of Mountain View
on May 22, 2020 at 6:37 am

I’m glad there is testing available, but I have concerns about the fact that it is self-administered. Has there been research on this? Isn’t there risk of false neg/positive results?

12 people like this
Posted by preppers were right
on May 22, 2020 at 8:39 am

This testing is not free. You are paying with your personal information. You can't get through the signup without logging into a Google account. If Cindy Chavez really wants me to get tested she can force Google to do it for actually free or she can pay for it herself.

1 person likes this
Posted by Geographic
on May 22, 2020 at 9:55 am

While it is great that more in the county can be tested, why not have another location further north in at another at risk area? I understand, from the Simitian townhall and this article, that covid is often location clustered. But there are at risk areas outside San Jose with folks who need testing.

6 people like this
Posted by Palo Verde Parent
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 22, 2020 at 10:08 am

This is misleading. I have signed-up and then when I got to the point to schedule the appt. it says no more appointments are available. I have tried for a few days now. If anyone has had any luck getting one, please pass on the info on how you were able to get the appointment.

Posted by Keep Palo Alto Wonderful
a resident of Community Center
on May 22, 2020 at 10:43 am

I took the test on Tully Road yesterday. Total time spent was 20 mins. You must make an appt and you have to give your info to Verily. Kaiser wouldn't test me, so I went to this site. Results are supposed to take 2-5 days. I don't care if Verily knows my test results, as I assume that is to be able to contract trace or track infections by location of residence. I am glad there are options available