Palo Alto gets ultimate birthday party at May Fête Parade

Original post made on May 5, 2019

From birthday cake floats to colorful balloons to party hats, the Palo Alto community cheerfully celebrated the city's 125th anniversary at Saturday's May Fete Parade downtown.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, May 5, 2019, 12:36 PM

4 people like this
Posted by Gus L.
on May 5, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Great Parade, The Car show at the Heritage park was very cool.
Local School Bands did a great Job.
Only weird thing about it was they charged you a $5.00 plate rental fee for food at the Food Trucks..

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 5, 2019 at 11:44 pm

^ I believe the plate rental fee was a sustainability service offered by "GO Box".
Venturing out of their Portland experiment, running a couple years now.
I understand the $5 was refunded when you turned in the reusable to-go box.
To be professionally washed and reused by another customer.

Maybe someone (Bob Wenzlau?) could clue us all in what's going on here.
How soon will Palo Alto mandate reusables for all restaurant take-out in our city?
You'll need to carry a smartphone with a monthly subscription to the app.
No more trash bins full of greasy pizza boxes and plastic clamshells.

Posted by Resident
on May 6, 2019 at 2:36 am

I quite like the idea of deposits for plates and coffee cups at restaurants. I have never liked the idea of producing trash at the level which seems normal at Starbucks and similar places. I suppose that being asked for a deposit for the first time is a bit of a shock to the system particularly if you don't have the extra cash at the time. The idea of always carrying a reusable coffee cup and remembering to wash it at home, not the Starbucks restroom, has little appeal to me.

Decent plates and coffee cups, forks, etc. offered at all restaurants should be cheered, I think. A great move.

Posted by Cc
a resident of Downtown North
on May 6, 2019 at 1:56 pm

You could always bring your own!

Zero-waste is in. Wastefulness is out.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 15, 2019 at 12:28 pm

While this article is already ancient history, the comment thread is worth revisiting as a new "Foodware Ordinance" will be under consideration tentatively at the June 10th City Council Meeting. Looks like a total ban on plastic is in the offing. -- Web Link

Posted by Resident
on May 15, 2019 at 2:56 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Do They Still Have The Pet Parade?
on May 15, 2019 at 10:07 pm

I haven't been to one of these Palo Alto May celebrations in decades. Do they still have the parade down University where kids can walk with their pets?

Back in the late 50s they wouldn't let me participate with my pet chimpanzee for fear he would get loose and then in the early 60s I couldn't take part in the pet parade because I wanted to bring my boa constrictor. As a result, I gradually lost interest in the parade.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

After 39 years of cakes and pastries, Palo Alto institution Prolific Oven to close

Local Transit to the Rescue?
By Sherry Listgarten | 7 comments | 1,352 views

The Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) Process Explained
By Steve Levy | 5 comments | 1,281 views

Do something about assault weapons, now!
By Diana Diamond | 37 comments | 1,097 views

"You Gotta Have Balls [to do counseling] . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 945 views

Register now!

​On Friday, October 11, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

More Info