A school where care is primary

Original post made on Jan 11, 2019

At a glance, The Primary School looks like any other elementary school: reading corners in classrooms, drawings tacked to walls, swings and play structures outside. But its structure is dramatically different.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, January 11, 2019, 6:42 AM

1 person likes this
Posted by MP
on Jan 11, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Good project - I think.
None the less - heard that
1. CZI - the foundation - is notoriously badly run.
2. Priscilla & Mark insulate themselves from any direct communication with non-profit people, to the point of returning mail with the "refused" mark

1 person likes this
Posted by Epa resident
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 11, 2019 at 12:59 pm

I tried getting my child into that school. Went to orientation , the entire process in order to be able to have my child enter the lottery. Unfortunately my child never made it. I know a handful of people that didn’t attend any meeting and their children were enrolled.
How exactly did that happen?

5 people like this
Posted by Midtown Mama
on Jan 11, 2019 at 4:47 pm

As a retired public school teacher with 30 years of experience, I can say that this concept is very inspiring! Keep up the good work!

Posted by Turnover suspicious
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 11, 2019 at 8:46 pm

3 principals in 3 years? With the implication that the first two just weren’t up for the hard work? Sounds fishy and extremely problematic. How many teachers have turned over? What kind of work culture does this school have? The kids come first, yes, but adults who stay on and can have a relationship with kids and families past one year are also super important.

8 people like this
Posted by Belen Barragan
on Jan 12, 2019 at 8:46 am

I was raised in East Menlo and East Palo Alto and being able to not only thrive for my community but to teach in my community is a true blessing. TPS not only encouraged me but also provided the people and guidance in ways that the district nor my community could at a young age.

5 people like this
Posted by Max
a resident of Community Center
on Jan 12, 2019 at 8:40 pm

I assume that for every child enrolled in any charter school, the net result is less funding for those left in the public schools, which means that the charter schools thrive at the expense of those who can not enroll in the charter schools. What is being done about that?

Posted by Max reply
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 13, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Max,

Charter schools actually receive less funding per pupil than public schools, but yet somehow they have higher assessment scores. Just because traditional schools feel the pinch doesn't mean charters are operating on their expense. Traditional schools have to earn students, and the funding that follows them, back.