Alumni look back at 100 years of Paly

Original post made on Dec 14, 2018

To celebrate the Palo Alto High School's centennial year, the Palo Alto Weekly interviewed alumni, or family members of alumni, to represent each decade of the school's history.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, December 14, 2018, 8:54 AM

Posted by Arne Lim
on Dec 14, 2018 at 9:04 am

Pam Hashimoto's testimony has a post script.

Riyo Sato (also known as Reo Sato) was an excellent painter. One of her paintings from 1931 is in the hallway of the Tower Building.

Posted by Patricia Cox
on Dec 14, 2018 at 12:44 pm

My father (Bonnar Cox) graduated either in 1939 or 1940 (he was 16), and my mother (Barbara R. Cox (ne Stone) graduated around 1942. All of my parents' siblings (James Stone, Robert Stone, James Cox) went to Paly, as did many of my cousins (the 4 daughters of James Stone) and I and my brothers and sisters (Andrea Sprecher (ne Cox), Mary Cox, Bill Cox and Alan Cox), and my three children (the last of whom was at Paly through 2015). I have no idea whether my grandchildren will go, but it is always possible. We as a family have been in Palo Alto since before my mother was born in 1926, and my grandmother (her mom) was heavily involved in walking door-to-door to get Palo Alto high schools to be 3-year schools covering 10th through 12th grades, many years ago. It has since returned to being a 4-year high school.

Posted by paly family
a resident of College Terrace
on Dec 14, 2018 at 2:18 pm

paly family is a registered user.

I hope that the English teacher who insulted Ricardo Lombera is no longer at Paly. What a way to turn someone off to writing! The comment was inexcusable. Any hint of who the teacher is so current Paly students can be warned?

Posted by Thanks Paly...For Everything
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Dec 14, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Paly had a major impact on my life. As a teenager back in the mid-1950s, I was arrested for grand theft auto, being drunk in public & expelled countless times for truancy. Preferred to spend my time drinking beer and hanging out at the pool halls in downtown Redwood City and Mountain View...one of the reasons I needed to steal a car every now & then.

Got arrested again in my senior year and being 18, the judge gave me the choice of either going into the service or going to jail. Paly didn't want me back & I wasn't going to graduate anyway.

Chose the Navy and after my hitch was over, I worked during the evenings washing dishes at a Chinese restaurant while attending a local junior college on the GI Bill.

To make a long story short, I eventually transferred to the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) where I got my BS in Chemical Engineering and later, an MBA from Kellogg School of Business (Northwestern).

Now retired and playing lots of golf. Thanks Paly for not wanting me back on campus.

Posted by Judy Wilson Hulse
a resident of Southgate
on Dec 15, 2018 at 8:01 am

Hi Paly Alums:
We have a long, family history: My father, E. Howard Wilson - graduated in the first class at Paly. I (along with my brother, Gerry E. Wilson) - graduated: Gerry 1957; Judy in 1959. My daughter, Heidi An Hulse Mickelsen, graduated 1989; and my oldest granddaughter, Sydney Grace Mickelsen has just graduated in June 2018. My memories of Paly - particularly the Excellent teachers - has been a strong foundation of the person I have become. Go Paly!

Posted by R.Davis
on Dec 15, 2018 at 9:30 am

R.Davis is a registered user.

QUOTE: Went to work for Monsanto where we researched GMOs and various hormone supplements to aid agribusiness and animal husbandry. Very proud of our work there as Monsanto feeds the world.

Neil Young and the organizers of Farm Aid might beg to differ. *L*

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 15, 2018 at 2:28 pm

^ I need to reread Malthus.

Posted by Paly Gal
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:03 pm

We would be remiss if we didn't mention the contributions of Florence Turner to the Paly experience for over 40 years. Her legacy reached myriad aspects of the Paly experience throughout her career. She began as an English teacher before moving to the history department where she created (if I remember correctly) the first Far East studies high school program in the country. She headed the Campanile, oversaw the cheer squads, and was a true supporter of the athletic department. She sure did love her sports! This is in addition to the administrative work she did for the PAUSD.

She made a positive impact on several generations of Paly students and, to this day, I often find myself meeting someone who had her as a teacher and get to hear a new story about how much she touched their life. She really embodied the very best of a Paly education!

Posted by Thanks Paly...For Everything
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Dec 22, 2018 at 2:44 pm

> Neil Young and the organizers of Farm Aid might beg to differ. *L*

NY = just another malcontent folksinger. Besides, he's not even an American citizen so he has nothing to say about how agribusiness in this country is being run.

Lynyrd Skynyrd had the best retort to 'Mr. Young'.