Long slow earthquake

Original post made by Night Owl, Green Acres, on Aug 24, 2014

OK, that was a pretty long, slow, gentle shake -- did everyone else feel that?

Posted by Yes!
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:25 am

Yes, it woke me up!

Posted by Yes, here too!
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:29 am

Thanks for posting! Was wondering if I was dreaming....

Posted by Yes!
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:32 am

"5.7 earthquake, 6km NW of American Canyon, California. Aug 24 03:20 at epicenter"

"Location: 5 miles (7 km) WSW of American Canyon, CA; 6 miles (10 km) WNW of Vallejo, CA; 9 miles (15 km) NW of Crockett, CA; 25 miles (41 km) NNW of Oakland, CA Source: U.S. Geological Survey"

Scary to have it at night time!

Posted by Parent
a resident of Palo Verde School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:44 am

Yes, it woke me up. I asked my husband if he was shaking the bed. I thought perhaps that he had rolled over and had rocked it in the process, but he denied it, and then I felt it again and heard the hanging blinds rustling, too. I got up to check the USGS "Did you feel it website". It was a 6.0 based north of the Bay Area.

Posted by Oldster
on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:14 am

Yep, felt it. Was up already and wide awake. Sharp first primary jolts then the gentle rolling secondary waves. Whole house creaked. It was strong enough to make me check for gas leaks. Been a while, no?, since we 've had a quake that strong nearby. The USGS's Shake Map and DYFI has over 700 reports in about a half hour and an interesting new "pager" system there, too.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:52 am

Yup, woke me up. I turned on KCBS and my police scanner. Within a minute PAPD dispatch made one brief mention that an earthquake had occurred. Within another minute KCBS interrupted their canned program to report what they felt in the San Francisco studio and then began airing the phone calls coming in.

Like @Parent, I checked the USGS website -- Web Link -- they initially had it at 5.7 magnitude.

Sounds pretty serious up near the epicenter. Power outages and possible road or bridge closings. It's a slow-news weekend so I imagine exaggerations will play well. Another opportunity for agencies to ask for more funding and higher taxes.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,163 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 9 comments | 766 views