Shop Talk: ribs ramp-up; vanishing florists; kids' coding school

Original post made on Aug 4, 2014

In this week's Shop Talk column: a local car wash ribs stop kicks it up a notch; Palo Alto's florists continue to disappear; and a local father starts his own coding school for kids.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, August 4, 2014, 7:56 AM

Posted by Laurie Marshall
on Aug 4, 2014 at 10:03 am

Though I live in the Willow Glen area of San Jose now, I was born & raised in Palo Alto on Greer Rd. I also lived in College Terrace while attending Foothill College. About 2 months ago, I was attending a meeting at the Palo Alto Unitarian Church. When I walked out of the meeting into the parking lot, I heard some really good 'live' rock music coming from Mitchell Park, that is adjacent to the parking lot. My first guitar teacher was a guy named 'Bob' who taught me some songs at Dana Morgan Music in Downtown Palo Alto in 1966. I found out years later that 'Bob' was Bob Weir who later played with the Grateful Dead. I also have been taking blues lessons on the electric bass for a little over a year at School Of The Blues in san Jose. After I heard some of this live rock music emanating from somewhere in the park, I decided that I needed to go & investigate it further. I got into my car & drove around the block to Mitchell Park. At the skating rink was where all this loud music was coming from, & it was KIDS; teenagers who were playing all these amazingly good songs! The music was from TOOL, Led Zeppelin & Jimmy Page & much more; the hard rock music I grew up listening to when i lived in Palo Alto. I got myself a seat & joined the small audience in folding metal chairs in front of the 'stage' in that small cement skating rink. I found out from some of the parents about 'The School Of Rock' & was quite impressed with the abilities & talent of ALL the girls & boys performing. I even saw another 'girl' playing the Bass & told her that I played the Bass too & that I thought she was very good. (She was very modest in thanking me.) The enthusiasm of these kids was totally infectious. The amazing talent of these young people was wonderful to see & hear. What a great cultural addition to the community this organization is! Good luck to Hansel Lynnn's coding center. It sounds like he is really in tune with kids & how they learn; what they want, need & can utilize in today's fast-paced environment.

Posted by Mom
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Aug 4, 2014 at 10:56 am

I don't know how to reach Hansel Lynn for theCoderSchool. So I am hoping to reach him here.

There are a lot of places to learn coding. What's not out there is the intermediate level coding classes.

My son in your target age range took several beginner's classes for different software and computer languages. However, he doesn't go on any further.
It's partly because he is committed to other activities. we, parents, don't do programming on regular basis.

For our family, going to a CoderDojo is a bit too much work.

Also I don't want my son to do nothing but code. There is nothing in between beginners and the advanced.

So Mr. Lynn,
please make some intermediate classes with educational projects of coding which could branch out to some interesting applications. The class description could include "for the students who went to a introduction class for Java (or other languages) over summer, want to further your skills, not to make them fade away, want to enter some competitions, want to start preparing AP Comp Sci"

Posted by Sad, isn't It?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Once a community, now a commodity.

Posted by Anonymous
on Aug 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

@Mom, Take a look a "The Art of Problem Solving" programming courses.

Web Link

Posted by Mom
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:40 am

@Anonymous,

Thank you for your info.
I knew the site and I checked the site when they just made one programming course. My daughter didn't like the online programming by EPGY, so I didn't pay attention too much back then.
Online course has pros and cons.
It's been long time I left online courses for my kids.
I would dig into the online course world once again to see if it's something that turns on my son's motivation switch in his brain.
Thanks again.

Posted by Chris Dasinsky
on Aug 29, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Coding schools are a great way for kids to learn fundamental coding principles. Because they had summer break it seems like a fantastic activity! My children were so interested in coding after taking one of these summer classes that I decided to enroll them into LearnToProgram's summer of code. Their membership includes all of their courses, which is great because they can explore mobile, web and game development! Here's a link to their membership trial offer, it's expiring soon so take advantage today! Web Link

Posted by food
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I can't seem to find an internet presence on the food truck. Where is it? Daily locations? help?