Herb Wong, jazz icon and educator, dies at 88

Original post made on Apr 21, 2014

Easter Sunday this year saw the passing of Herb Wong, a long-time Menlo Park resident renowned internationally as a jazz expert and educator, who taught jazz at the Palo Alto Adult School for 25 years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, April 21, 2014, 11:33 AM

Posted by Ron Massie
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Condolences to Herb Wong's family and friends. I met Herb many years ago at the Stanford Shopping Center Jazz series. He was a great man-with a wealth of information about the world of Jazz. He will be missed...Ron Massie

Posted by John Sylvester
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I didn't know Herb well but I had great admiration for him. His dedication to the world of jazz was a source of great inspiration to all of us who play and enjoy this great American art form. He will be missed.

Posted by Grant Geissman
a resident of Los Altos
on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I am so sad to hear about Herb's passing. I met him back when I was a student at De Anza College in 1972 and 1973, and managed to keep in touch with he and Marilyn over the years. He was such a bright, positive force for jazz, and there just aren't many others like him; he's simply irreplaceable.

Posted by Bob Kanegis
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Our great friend of 30+ years... my environmental educator mentor, helped set me on my life path. As you said Herb, all those years ago- "We're All Connected Man!" Herb was and continues to be an inspiration to a group of lifelong friends scattered around the country doing great work that began with our classes with Herb.

Posted by Bob Kanegis
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Posted by mario alberto munguia
on Apr 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

From washington school to Berkeley High School, Mr. Wong saw my passion on music and arts an so encouraged and helped set the pace for to do what I love and have passion for. "Producing and Promoting". HE. KNEW!!!!!
Thank you Mr. Wong...

Your friend Mario Alberto Munguia

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

Eat, Surf, Love

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,107 views