Palo Alto closes damaged Baylands boardwalk, dock

Original post made on Mar 17, 2014

Palo Alto has had to temporarily close two aging Baylands structures in the past week due to damage and unsafe conditions.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 17, 2014, 8:58 AM

Posted by Annette
a resident of College Terrace
on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:50 am

Annette is a registered user.

Q to Mr. Bicknell: perhaps I am just being optimistic, but I infer from your comments that BOTH closures are TEMPORARY even though the reopening of the boardwalk is likely to take much longer than the reopening of the dock. Is that accurate?

Posted by Kate
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:11 am

Given the city's "track record' for building or pairing the Creek problems, streets, Mitchell Park Library, and on and on, I do not think I"ll see this boardwalk repair 'in my lifetime'. Especially if the agency that threw a total halt to the Creek/golf course project at the last minute gets involved in this. That Boardwalk has been falling apart for a LONG time.

Posted by Kate
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:11 am

Posted by Resident
on Mar 17, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I am truly saddened by both of these closures. We have been watching these facilities deteriorate in the past few years and it sounds more like neglect rather than anything else. The interpretive center could be a wonderful place for coffee/brunch at weekends now that the sea scouts hut has been updated. I don't care if we get some sponsorship to make it happen, but please can we make it happen. The neglect out there is a not a reflection on how much it is used and enjoyed by many local people. It could be a great asset to Palo Alto.

Posted by Midtown
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Nah, not going to happen, no money in it for a developer. Write your city council.

1 person likes this
Posted by Resident
on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

Before throwing money at the Museum and Zoo, or at new land at Foothill Park, we need to repair these so that they can be enjoyed again.

The closed off signs are an embarrassment. This is an area which is enjoyed by people from all over the Baylands and when they see the dilapidation of these amenities as well as the overall condition of the park, it is indeed embarrassing to feel that our town ignores this area.

1 person likes this
Posted by anonymous
on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:23 am

I support re-building/replacing the boardwalk as it has been well utilized for recreation and birding and visiting and if it is a replacement, that should not be a big environmental deal. A long time ago on another thread I wished for a philanthropist to step up and offer funds for this project. It would be well appreciated by the public. I think this is a better use of city or private funds than the small PA zoo - perhaps that should be a limited scope "wildlife center" rather than a zoo.

1 person likes this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Nov 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

OF COURSE, "they", have to keep our City's waterfront resources shabby, dingy, crappy, broken, smelly and full of dog poop, otherwise the people of Palo Alto would realize what they are ceding and giving up ever day to the airport people who blithely fly over our heads heedless of how much noise or annoyance they are.

I go out to the Baylands almost daily, hiking while listening to music, audiobooks or making a phone call and a large majority of the of time I cannot even hear what is coming through my headphones the planes are so loud.

It's been like this increasingly over the last 30 year since they got rid of the yacht harbor and whenever I get the chance I think it is important to point out the lip service and hypocrisy of our City government and leaders when they say things like they respect the environment, or they want to go green, or they care about the public resources of the City of Palo Alto,

The only function these "phrases" seem to serve in our City is to justify some project so the City can get their hands on more money and power in order to not Not carry them out.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Nov 14, 2014 at 10:52 am

Hey Anonymous,

You are right, any one thing by itself is a small deal, but almost totally ignored over 30 years adds to up to an almost overwhelming cost and management issue.

Even if the costs of those boardwalks was prohibitive to maintain, and it might have been ( I think they were originally built, maintained and the land or structures owned by the power companies.) the City should have seen this coming, told and polled the public as to whether anyone cases about it, and planned the cost of replacement or whatever is the best thing to do about it over many years ... i.e. good governance.

For a place with so many supposed geniuses of academia, industry and finance Palo Alto is in no way any kind of leader in anything positive as far as our City Government.

Mademoiselle Colette opens second location in Palo Alto

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE AND I BRING YOU

Couples: Initiators and Implementors
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 679 views

Are We Really Up To This?
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 639 views