Police investigate suspicious backpack found at Stanford

Original post made on Feb 11, 2014

Part of the Stanford University campus was evacuated, and a police bomb squad unit came in to investigate a suspicious backpack found at Tresidder Union at about 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Stanford University officials announced.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:43 AM

Posted by snoid
a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm

nothing but paranoia...was at tressider night before and cops naturally surround me watching me buy my sandwich,,,of course im racially mixed and thats the reason...excessive security paranoia you thought...this incident proves you werent imagining things like onliners always say...cops profiled you...then next day their jumping at shadows...backpacks at least. of course you got stopped 3 times in a week like usual! this proves americans are streesed freaked out. admit it rather that going crazy like cops and americans of all colors are doing.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

There was just a big explosion at CoGen this evening, followed by a smaller explosion. Much steam was escaping, when there's normally a much smaller amount. I really hope no one was hurt. I was reminded of Nora Charles's thread about the weird explosion recently at Stanford, allegedly from fireworks.

Posted by neighbor
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:57 am

[Portion removed.]

This was probably a steam release. I worked at Stanford, these things happen. There is no evidence of anything else. And, last January's so-called "explosion" (which was coincident with Chinese New Year's) also left no evidence whatsoever.

Just like the January event, normal operations are just rolling along.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Feb 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

What's your problem, neighbor? Yes, of course someone called 911.

Posted by Marian
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Why did I get a phone call at home in the middle of the night at 1:15AM telling me that the incident was over? If I am home I am not exactly in danger, such that you need to call me at 1:15 AM, about 12 hours after it was resolved.

Posted by neighbor
on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Don't understand why you would write "What's your problem, neighbor?" Glad you called 911 though -- but there was no emergency response to the noises at CoGen because there was no emergency. The noises were probably explained via a phone call to CoGen. There was no evidence of anything of concern.

Also, police did investigate the Chinese New Year noise on campus and found absolutely nothing amiss in or around the bldgs. Again, no evidence.

In both cases, no one is covering up anything.

Tuesday's situation was different and required an emergency response. The suspicious backpack left in a public place didn't belong to anyone. Abandoned backpacks are taken seriously, especially since the Boston Marathon bombing. The police evacuated the area and investigated.

Marian if right...clearly Palo Alto's emergency call system needs some tweaking if it's calling 12 hours after the event !

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

Hmm, I hesitated to write it here, but last night I heard some very odd whoshing (never heard sound before, hard to describe) sounds coming from the Stanford/PA direction around midnight or so. I wonder if they were connected to the explosions you mention. I'm not sure where CoGen is, but maybe that was it. Naturally I was the only person outside in the neighborhood in my dressing gown and flashlight!

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

As for the backpack, I'm glad campus police erred on the side of caution, as you just never know. I was driving to campus in the aftermath and it was disconcerting to see the big bomb squad van driving off!

Posted by Rupert of henzau
on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Nora:
This is from an email that was sent today from stanford ( director of public safety is one of the signers of the email)

"In a separate incident, some members of the campus residential community were awakened by a loud noise from the Cardinal Cogen facility overnight. A malfunctioning valve caused a loud release of steam. While the situation was not dangerous, it took some time to repair. The Cardinal Cogen plant is currently operated by third-party contractors. The aging facility will be replaced in 2015, when the new campus SESI facility opens."

Hope that addresses the loud noise issue

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

Nora & Rupert - the Cogen explosions we heard were not that late - around 7:30pm, so it sounds like there were additional noises later on.

Nora - btw, Cogen is at Campus & Via Ortega.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

Rupert of henzau and Hmmm,

Many thanks for the info. I'm glad it wasn't my imagination!

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of The Greenhouse

on Jun 5, 2017 at 9:32 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 954 views

Couples: When Wrong Admit It; When Right; Shut Up
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 397 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 4 comments | 396 views