Palo Alto student finds her voice

Original post made on Oct 22, 2011

As a Palo Alto student with disabilities, Sara Moussavian thinks history books should tell about Ed Roberts just as they tell about Martin Luther King Jr.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 21, 2011, 8:54 AM

Posted by Mike Wright
a resident of Mountain View
on Oct 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm

What an inspiring story. Keep up the good work, Sara.

You're right: the best person to stand up for what you deserve is you.

Posted by palo alto mom
on Oct 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm

A wonderful story - great work Sara!

Posted by Bullying Hurts Forever
on Oct 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I do remember how kids treated her at Barron Park. They were so mean, but at the end she was stronger. I am glad she is standing up for herself. Great Job and Good Luck,

Posted by Mom
on Oct 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm

She is an inspiring person. UC Berkeley's dorms are especially well-equipped for students with disabilities.

Posted by Rachel Matta
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Love it. What a great role model!

Posted by parent
a resident of Gunn High School
on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:39 am

There were a lot of girls in social leadership in Sara's class at Terman and Barron Park who are looked up to even now who could have made the choice to include her but did not. The large degree of mentoring they received from their parents did not include acceptance of Sara beyond tolerance. She is amazing to come out so strong and well-adjusted.

Posted by ex gunn parent
a resident of Green Acres
on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I read this inspirational story and wonder if Sara was my daughter's classmate at Terman. Then I wonder how my daughter treated her. In my heart, I hope so much that my daughter reached out to her, but my fear would be that she maybe didn't. For those of you with kids still in school, you can use this story and Disabilities Awareness Month to have that conversation. I hope you do.
Way to go Sara. Thanks for hanging in there!!

Posted by Eva
a resident of Barron Park School
on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

As a current parent of kids at Barron Park, I wanted the community to be aware of a fantastic new inclusion program that Barron, along with other elementary schools in Palo Alto, have started this year. It's an inclusion program where students in traditional special education are being included in regular classes up to 50% of the time. The program just started this year and has been an amazing step towards addressing some of the traditional issues with special education kids fitting in.

There has been a big emphasis on making sure there is a proper amount of aid time for each special ed child and a proper amount of explanation to both children and parents about how to talk about our differences and work together.

So far there have been a number of very inspiring stories coming out of the classrooms. I think this will be a positive step forward for our school as well as the entire Palo Alto school system.

All children benefit from being exposed to and working with children different from themselves.

Posted by Francoise
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Sara came and spoke in our daughter's class on Tuesday. She was touched by it and talked about her visit. That night, our daughter shared with me how some boys were making a "bad boy club" and bullying another very sweet boy who is different. The next day, as I was sharing this with her teacher, she noted that maybe it was connected with Sara coming to there classroom. Indeed, we can all learn or be reminded by inspirational people like Sara that we are all unique, can learn from our differences and should look out for each other. I was proud of our daughter telling me what she does to help that bullied boy.

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE AND I BRING YOU

Are We Really Up To This?
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 847 views