My curiosity was first piqued by articles in the Palo Alto Free Press which have not been picked up by any other media, and more recently by a posting here by VoxPop, who challanged me to do more and better research on the topic before posting. Accordingly, I have proceeded to so do, and am providing my findings herein.
This is what I have found regarding the total value of all aspects of the compensation that City Manager James Keene receives from the City of Palo Alto:
1. $260,000 base salary, as reported to the League of Cities in 2010
2. $130,000 benefit value for medical, dental, retirement, sick leave, etc. at a 50% factor as indicated by City budget and payroll staff.
3. $ 36,750 "off the books" deferred compensation
4. $ 7,800 "transportation" allowance.
5. $105,000 unreported housing subsidy value, per my prior analysis
$539,550 Total compensation value per year
Next up: A comparison to other Cities.....
I note that comments were not restricted in my last posting. Hopefully that practice will continue.