Where bikes rule the road

Original post made by Parent, Palo Alto High School, on Feb 3, 2011

A short video from Amsterdam where getting around on a bike is serious business.

Web Link

And not a yellow lycra clad rider among them.

Posted by Midtown Guy
on Feb 5, 2011 at 9:07 am

Wow! This video shows maybe 500 bicyclists, and only one, a little
girl, is wearing a helmet! Most were careening around, fast, some two on a bike, heedless and carefree! So are the Dutch just luckier? Anyone know the statistics of how many head injuries the Dutch
bicyclists average? Is this what the poster wants us to emulate?

Posted by I bike
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

The original poster did not explain his purpose. It may be he does not like spandex.

Posted by no maniac car drivers
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

When car drivers are not constantly speeding around you and cutting you off, bicyclists have less incentive to wear helmets. I wonder what the car vs. bicycle crash rate is in Amsterdam compared to Palo Alto.

Posted by Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

The point of the video was to show how a modern city is bicycle friendly.

Googled for a couple of minutes and the best I could come up with was this article on the safety of biking in Amsterdam

Web Link

Not sure about the safety aspect of riding a bike while carrying an umbrella, but that isn't the point either.

Posted by anonymous
on Feb 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Great vid. Inspiring. I also recommend we bring over some European best practices, as much as practicable.

Posted by I bike
on Feb 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

better bike infrastructure sounds great until you start talking taxing gasoline to pay for it like they do in Europe. ;-)

Posted by Me Too
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Biking in Palo Alto is pretty good, I think. My kids and my wife and I all bike to school/work much of the time and find the infrastructure pretty amenable. I tend to think that most people don't have the option though - they live too far away from work. Also, how do the Amsterdam-ers handle groceries and such? Costco on a bike is kind of tough.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

Eat, Surf, Love

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 904 views

One-on-one time
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 322 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 0 comments | 72 views