Deaths

Original post made on Dec 12, 2008

Vincent James Leung

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 28, 2008, 12:00 AM

Posted by Sue Willbee
on Dec 12, 2008 at 8:31 am

I accidently found this article about Mr. Welvin Stroud's recent passing. I was a fourth grade student ar E. Van Auken school when Mr.Stroud started his teaching career at our school. As it was Palo Alto was almost entirely white, middle class, and totally bland. Mr. Stroud was the first person I had ever meet who was diffrent from me and all the rest of us. Believe me he was an instant hit. When we sit around and speak of teachers who effected us in a possitive way Mr. Stroud was always on the top of the list. "Beloved Teacher". God speed to him and his loved ones....

Posted by Stephen Denney
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:51 am

I was also a student of Mr. Stroud in fourth grade (1960) and agree with Sue. I remember he took some of us boys to Stanford football games, where we were "junior rooters".

Posted by Carmen Del Toro
on Mar 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I met Dust (welvin Stroud) on a tour of san francisco, he was awesome! 10 years later I decided to google him only to discover he passed away about 3 years ago. he was a great man and someone I will never forget.

Posted by Curt Fenz
a resident of El Carmelo School
on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34 am

1964-65 5th grade science teacher. Mr Stroud was the most remarkable teacher I had at El Carmelo. A great teacher and unbeatable at chess, he was an inspiration to us all. Later, when the race riots started, I remembered thinking "How could anyone be prejudiced against "Blacks?"" - he was such a nice guy. Friendly and encouraging. A model teacher in every respect. God's blessings to all his loved ones.

Posted by Lynley
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I had Mrs. Stroud for 2nd and 3rd grade in the Berkeley Unified School District, and Mr. Stroud came to class sometimes to read poetry for us. I still remember it and it gave me a lifelong love for poetry. Great guy. Love to his family. May his memory be a blessing.

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 12 comments | 957 views