Sterling Communities, will attract families

Original post made by Neighbor, Palo Verde, on Sep 8, 2008

As a neighbor I decided to visit the models open for the first time this weekend. There are 4 and 5 bedroom homes available (2 sold already) and there is a lot of interest. There are plenty of bedrooms, but very little family community space with just a kitchen/diner/family room called a "great room". The residents of these homes will spend plenty of time in their own bedrooms rather than the whole family spending much time together, imo.

There were plenty of families showing lots of interest and I am pointing this out as the literature lists Palo Verde, JLS and Paly as the schools (with disclaimers regarding space).

The homes are nicely laid out, but I tend to think that the new occupants here may come just for the schools. That definitely appears from the literature (in particular the picture of the happy family living there) who this community is geared for, at least at the opening phase.

Posted by AH
on Sep 8, 2008 at 10:24 am

"The residents of these homes will spend plenty of time in their own bedrooms rather than the whole family spending much time together, imo."

Putting people to work to produce more people.

Posted by Mom
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 8, 2008 at 10:35 am

I'm guessing you are talking about that development off 101? That's a stretch to say that because the great room is small, families will spend time apart. We live in an Eichler (about 1900sf) and we are a close family. In fact, the kids would rather be in the family area than locked away in their rooms.

Re: the statement about buying for the schools only, these houses offer the top priority for Asians: good, free (public) schools, NEW houses. Many Asians will bend on the "new house" preference so they can have the top priority, which is good, free schools. This is their culture; I am Asian. I think those new townhomes next to the Elk's Lodge are owned by mostly Asian.

Posted by Resident
a resident of Meadow Park
on Sep 8, 2008 at 12:01 pm

You should go see the Trumark and Echelon developments on East Meadow Circle and the BRIDGE/Build (I think it's called Acteria) on Fabian Way to make a comparison.

Posted by Curious
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 8, 2008 at 3:45 pm

How much do they sell for ?

Posted by Green
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Sep 8, 2008 at 5:49 pm

American homes are WAY to big, compared to the rest of the world. Most of the space in large American homes go unused. Ask any contractor who follows up on spacial use and deployment.

Posted by OhlonePar
on Sep 8, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I remember when the developer was trying to sell this project to the neighborhood. He claimed that it would attract relatively few families and wouldn't have much impact on the schools. Didn't believe him then, don't believe him now. I mean who's going to pay that much to live next to 101 unless you've got kids in school?

This is going to be tough on Palo Verde.

Mom,

If you don't mind my asking, why is the "new" factor so important in Asian (East Asian, Chinese, Japanese--is it al the same on this?) culture?

Posted by Palo Verde resident
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:11 pm

It is very unlikely that these kids arriving after kindergarten will get into Palo Verde and for those who apply for kindergarten next year, they will have to enter the lottery the same as other Palo Verde residents unless they have older siblings. Palo Verde is full now unless someone leaves and no one on the waiting list wants the place.

JLS is overcrowded, 35 in the Spanish classes. And, this development is quite a walk (and even a bike ride) from JLS, so you can imagine them driving along Loma Verde and Middlefield or worse some of the residential streets, to add to the traffic.

Paly can take more kids even though it is pretty crowded. But once again, it is a nightmare to get there from this area with no public transport and a good 3 mile bike ride along Loma Verde and Bryant, and once again driving to Paly will add to traffic on Loma Verde/Alma/Churchill.

So, anyone buying these homes for the schools will have a commute to get to where they get put. I hope they find it worth it.

Posted by Mom
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm

OhlonePar,

I enjoy reading your sane and humorous posts.

I am Chinese and am actually speaking of Chinese prefering new houses. Don't know about other Asians. Chinese seems to be the dominant force here in PA. I try to talk in general because people can point the finger when it comes to specifics and we both know about the trolls who yell "racist" when in fact, they do not know the person. The best thing is to ignore them because they are just trying to provoke.

Chinese are very superstitious and fear is in the culture. Just look at a fengshui book and it'll send your mind spinning. The interesting thing about their beliefs is that people believe what they want to believe. When my father passed away, some relatives said I had to wear dark colors for 30 days, others said a week was enough, some said two years, other Americanized ones didn't follow the rule. My thought is, if I am an Americanized Chinese person and really don't believe it, do I need to do it? So the fact that no one can agree (it depends on where in China they are from) then what is really correct? I digress...

Here's your answer: they like new houses because they don't want the "bad luck" of the previous owners.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,233 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 11 comments | 877 views