Police nab suspect in Greer Road burglary

Original post made on Aug 7, 2008

A suspect in the midday interrupted residential burglary on Greer Road in south Palo Alto Wednesday — which triggered a chase and later manhunt in Newark — was arrested Wednesday evening within about seven hours of the burglary, Palo Alto police reported.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, August 7, 2008, 7:18 AM

Posted by Thanks
on Aug 7, 2008 at 9:43 am

Thanks for your good work, PAPD. As one of the many victims of "property crime" over the past three years here in PA, I appreciate the apprehension of yet another burglar. It may be just property crime, but I no longer have wedding photos, or my children's videos of growing up because someone ransacked our house. Thank you PAPD and the East Palo Alto PD for not giving up on the issue, just because they managed to get on the freeway. You guys are awesome.

Posted by Observer
a resident of Menlo Park
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:40 am

To Thanks: at least you still have your spouse & kids. Imagine the possible loss of life in a high speed chase - someone would be losing more than family videos & pictures. Not saying they don't have value, but their value doesn't compare to someone's life. "...just because they managed to get on the freeway." Well, the chase was on city streets before that & PA won't do high speed chases on city streets, either. Many cities will not. It's not worth officer or civilian safety, or the potential loss of other expensive property, like cars.

Posted by To Thanks
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:44 am

You could've made duplicates and stored them in a safe deposit box, or with friends or family. These personally valuable items could just as easily be lost in a fire, floor, a tree falling on your home, or earthquake - all things beyond your control, just like a burglary. Your view is short-sighted regarding the "just getting on the freeway" point you tried to make.

Posted by Parent
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:13 am

It is hard to lose photos and mementoes. I heard of one family who lost all their's in a fire. They were amazed as one friend or family member who wanted to help but didn't know how, managed to call round family, friends, schools and not only get copies of many pictures, but put them in wonderful scrapbrooks. If you can ask others for copies of what they have, you may be able to get some great keepsakes. True that they may not be the posed pictures you remember, but sometimes the home videos or snapshots can make a great relaxed album.

Posted by geri
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:04 pm

When speaking of burglaries~ my mind reflects back to the time I came home from a camping trip, only to find my dining room curtains blowing in the wind from where the theif left our sliding door ajar. The large television console was in the middle of the living room, stereo systems gone from living room, bedrooms~ money and jewelery gone and ransacked. My heart hit the floor and I can still vividly see those curtains blowing. The feelings of being intruded upon has stayed with me and makes my body tense up still to this day when recalling it. Something I never got over. Not only did the theives steal our material posessions, they also invaded my mind....

Posted by trudy
on Aug 7, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I understand Geri's feelings. I had some things of small financial value but irreplaceable personal value (and not copyable) stolen years ago. A high school graduation gift from my late parents, etc. The sentences for burglary should be much higher. The damage done is much more than can be measured in dollars.

Posted by contro
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Aug 9, 2008 at 1:35 pm

some people are subjected to a life of scrutiny because f the race they were born,even if they are educated world traveled life savers

Mademoiselle Colette opens second location in Palo Alto

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE AND I BRING YOU

Couples: Initiators and Implementors
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 675 views

Are We Really Up To This?
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 597 views