Meet the 'new' grandparents

Original post made on Jan 16, 2008

Grandparents of the new millennium are tech-savvy, active and interested in what their grandkids have to say -- no matter how far away. Photos by Norbert von der Groeben/Palo Alto Online.

• 'Not your grandma's grandma'

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:02 AM
  • Comments (7)

Posted by Parent
    on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:21 am

I am not sure how computer savvy they are, but I have seen many grandparents taking on childcare activities in and around schools and parks. They drive kids to and from schools and after school sports (sometimes putting the kids on their bikes' crossbars or on their electric wheelchairs), they take them to the park, playdates, and other activities. I think that since there are so many households where both parents work, the grandparents are taking on the childrearing.

It may be good for the grandparents and kids, but the parents are missing out on their kids childhoods. All the parents appear to do is get home in time to get the kids into bed. The parent/child relationship is no longer the same. Is this trend going to continue and what will the ultimate outcome be in terms of how these kids parent their own kids?

Posted by Nana Connie
    on Jan 16, 2008 at 4:38 pm

I am a Nana to a five year old and later this year will be a Nana again.
    The grandparent's role has not changed even with all the technology.
    Even though we are young and active, busy living our lives of work and play, our grandchildren are the bright spot in our lives. I do not live California, but found this article on a Google news site.
    Nana Connie
    www.playwitmenana.blogspot

You can be a blogging grandparent, too. www.grandparents.com

Posted by Diane Levinson "AhMah"
    on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:37 pm

I'm a charter member of Donne Davis' GaGa Sisterhood. I regularly take care of my two (of 7 total) local grandchildren twice a week while their mom works part-time. Today I'd bought my 2 and a half year old grandson, Charlie, a toy football - which he calls a "Shape Ball" and it comes out "Ship-ball," but sounds like a non-mentionable ball. I took him out in my backyard and attempted to teach him how to hold the football and run, how to throw it, how to kick it.... I heard myself say: "Charlie, when you're all grown up, you can say that your grandmother taught you how to play football.".... That's a pretty good example of how different grandmothers are in today's world.

Posted by Carol Susan Roth
    on Jan 17, 2008 at 10:56 am

Wonderful idea for a book. Please contact me at www.authorsbest.com

Posted by Monet
    on Jan 17, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Congratulations on the GaGa Sisterhood, Donne!

Posted by Julie Engelhardt
    on Jan 23, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Hi.. I hope this is okay to post. I'm looking for Silicon Valley-based grandparents to talk with for an article I'm doing on how grandparents stay close with thier grandkids. If you are interested in being interviewed, you can contact me at [email protected] Would love contact info for GaGa Sisterhood.
    My deadline's soon.. thanks!
    Julie

Posted by Terry
    on Feb 2, 2008 at 10:44 am

How fantastic! A consciosness-raising group for the "New Grandparents". Of course, our role would be a different once than our parents or grandparents. But what is it? Bravo, Donne, for a brilliant idea!