1st place: $500
2nd place: $300
3rd place: $200
Young Adults and Teens
1st place: $100 gift certificate
2nd place: $75 gift certificate
3rd place: $50 gift certificate
Required Submission Materials
- Five hard copies of your story
- Signed entry form
- Entree fee
- $20 for Adults
- $10 for Young Adult and Teen writers
- Please make checks payable to "Palo Alto Weekly"
- The contest is open to anyone who lives, works or attends school in Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton, Stanford, Portola Valley, Woodside, Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, and East Palo Alto.
- Age divisions: Adult (18+), Young Adult (15-17), Teen (12-14), children under age 12 may enter the contest and will be judged in the 12-14 age category
- Limit of one entry per person.
- Entries may not have been previously published.
- Strict word limit of 2,500 words; longer stories will be disqualified.
- Stories should be printed double-spaced with text in 12-point Times New Roman font. Each copy should be stapled and should not include any artwork.
- Stories should have a title, but your name should not appear anywhere on the story (only on the entry form).
- Preliminary screening of all entries is done by experienced local writers prior to semi-finalists being sent to the contest judges.
Any questions about the contest can be emailed
to the Short Story Contest
Entries can be delivered to our offices
at 450 Cambridge Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94306