Deaths | August 23, 2013 | Palo Alto Weekly | Palo Alto Online |

Palo Alto Weekly

Community Pulse - August 23, 2013


Helen Jeanne Sherwood

Helen Jeanne Sherwood, born Helen Jeanne Marshall on March 17, 1922, died Aug. 11. She was 91 years old.

Her passion was the care of children, and she worked for many good Palo Alto families after she retired from the Palo Alto Medical Clinic. She worked in orthopedics for more than 30 years.

She moved to Palo Alto with her husband and children in her early twenties, living on Channing Avenue and near the Greer farm. She loved Palo Alto.

She is survived by her sister, daughter, three sons, a niece, five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

No public service is available; however, cards will be accepted by her granddaughter, Sarah Sherwood. Mail to 221 Del Rosa Way, San Mateo, CA 94403.

Make a donation to Prevent Child Abuse America at

Arvilla McGuire Manning

Arvilla McGuire Manning, a lifelong Bay Area resident, died on Saturday, Aug. 17, following a short illness. She died at the Stanford Hospital in the presence of her family. She was 85.

Born in March 1928, she grew up in Piedmont, Calif., where at a very early age, she discovered a passion for tennis. By the time she left Miss Wallace's School for Girls and Boys and entered Anna Heads High School in Berkeley, Calif., she was ranked number one in California for her age group (14 and under). At age 18 she had made the Junior Whitman Cup team and was ranked number six in the United States, competing in the National US Championships at Forest Hills. During her attendance at UC Berkeley, she competed internationally, with her career highlighted by four appearances at Wimbledon (1949, 1951, 1952, 1953), including partnering with Althea Gibson in women's doubles. On her tours she met Pope Pius XII and was featured in Glamour Magazine. Along with Arthur Ashe, she was an active member of and contributor to the San Francisco Youth Tennis Foundation.

She married Edward M. Manning, Jr. in 1956 and raised two sons, Edward and Mark. They lived in San Francisco and moved to Woodside in 1965. The family joined the Menlo Country Club shortly thereafter, where she became an avid golfer.

Her husband died from cancer in 1986. She never remarried. In her 60s and 70s, she went on safari in Africa, dove with dolphins off the coast of Florida, swam with sea lions in the Galapagos and performed research swimming with Manatees a few miles north of Miami.

She spent her last years as a resident at the Vi in Palo Alto.

She is survived by her sons Mark and Edward, Edward's wife, Reggie, and their children, Dylan and Elijah. A memorial service will be held at the Vi in Palo Alto on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 2 p.m. Please make donations to the charity of your choice.