The resident, Gustavo Alvarez, also alleges in the lawsuit that he was "brutally injured" during the attack and that officers subsequently "mischaracterized and lied about the incident" to conceal their unlawful conduct and to cause him to be prosecuted.
The incident allegedly occurred on Feb. 17, 2018, when Alvarez claims he was stopped in the driveway of his mobile home by police Officer Christopher Conde, who told him that he had observed him driving on a public roadway even though he was known to have a suspended license. Alvarez then allegedly went inside his home, closed the front door and told Conde that "you cannot come into my house."
Conde then allegedly called other officers to respond to the scene. Once they arrived, officers allegedly held Alvarez at gunpoint, kicked in and damaged his front door, entered his home, "ripped" him out of the building and slammed him onto the front hood of his parked vehicle, a Ford Focus, which was in his driveway.
The lawsuit claims the officers then proceeded to search him, his home and his vehicle and, despite his attempt to comply, "repeatedly assaulted and threatened Alvarez throughout the melee."
Alvarez' lawsuit names the responding officers along with police Chief Robert Jonsen and the city of Palo Alto as defendants.
City hikes transportation fees to battle traffic
In its latest bid to curb the traffic impacts of new developments, Palo Alto has more than doubled the fees it charges builders for each new car trip that their projects would generate during busy commute hours.
The new fee structure, which the council approved by a 5-2 vote, with Councilman Tom DuBois and Councilwoman Lydia Kou dissenting, creates a citywide $7,886 fee for each new peak-hour trip, which is more than twice the current level of $3,700. As such, it creates a new incentive for builders to create programs and install amenities that encourage transit use, bicycling and other alternatives to driving cars.
The new fee was inspired by the city's recently revised Comprehensive Plan, which requires developers to create "transportation demand management" (TDM) programs aimed at reducing car trips. The city is now preparing a new law that would require developers in the downtown area to use such programs to reduce car trips by 45%. In the California Avenue area, they are required to achieve 35% reductions. In Stanford Research Park and on El Camino Real, the required reduction is 30%, while elsewhere in the city it's 20%.
City officials project that the new fees would raise about $17.2 million by 2030, enough to pay for about 4.4 percent of the city's capital costs.
Stanford student allegedly paid $6.5M for admission
The family who paid the most to get their child into a selective college as part of a national college admissions scandal was identified on Wednesday by the Los Angeles Times as a Chinese family whose daughter gained admission to Stanford University.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Yusi Zhao, who was admitted to Stanford in the spring of 2017, and her family, who reportedly live in Beijing, paid college consultant William "Rick" Singer $6.5 million for her admission. The story cites sources familiar with the case who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about it.
The Weekly was unable to independently verify this. Zhao, reportedly the daughter of a Chinese billionaire, did not respond to emailed requests for comment. Her name is no longer listed on Stanford's online directory, though she was previously listed as an undergraduate student in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures.
Stanford announced in April that it had expelled an unidentified student who it determined had falsified his or her college application and who was connected to the nationwide college-admission fraud scheme.
Citing privacy laws, Stanford would not identify or confirm that Zhao is the student who was expelled.
The Zhaos were not named as part of the federal indictment in March that charged 33 parents, including Hillsborough couple Bruce Isackson, 62, and Davina Isackson, 55. The couple entered guilty pleas Wednesday for paying a college preparatory counselor $600,000 to guarantee their two daughters' enrollment into the University of Southern California, according to federal prosecutors. Their pleas to one count each of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. Bruce Isackson also pleaded guilty to one count each of money laundering conspiracy and conspiracy to defraud the IRS, according to prosecutors.
—Elena Kadvany, Jamey Padojino
This story contains 771 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.