Diorio did not return requests for comment.
Interim Superintendent Karen Hendricks told the Weekly Tuesday that the district has met with the Paly administration to discuss providing additional administrative support and is looking for a "retired, veteran" administrator to serve as interim principal.
In a message to Paly parents late Tuesday morning, Hendricks said that Diorio notified the district of her leave on Friday afternoon.
"In striving to get this information to you, it was also important that we knew the timeline and had initial steps in preparation for additional leadership support to the site," Hendricks wrote.
Diorio has been Paly's principal since 2013, when she replaced Phil Winston following his resignation. She had previously worked as an assistant principal and counselor.
Diorio has faced criticism over the last year for her administration's handling of student sexual-assault cases, even as Paly remained under federal investigation for many years for Title IX violations. A law firm found last year that Paly administrators repeatedly failed to properly respond to a Paly student who reported she had been sexually assaulted in a campus bathroom in 2016, including not completing an investigation into the incident and not maintaining and even resisting proper documentation for the case.
A federal report on previous Title IX cases in the district faulted Diorio for not reporting promptly enough numerous sexual-harassment allegations about Winston. Diorio did not link her health issues to these pressures in her message, however.
Interim Superintendent Karen Hendricks announced Mak's retirement at the start of Tuesday's school board meeting.
Mak, 61, told the Weekly that the decision to retire was "just natural." She plans to stay through October to finish the 2017-18 budget cycle, she said.
Mak has come under fire in the last two years for her handling of two major budget errors — a misestimate of property tax revenue in 2016 that created a multimillion dollar shortfall with which the board is still grappling and a contractual error last year that cost the district $4.4 million in unbudgeted raises.
Board of Education members declined to comment on whether Mak's retirement is connected to concerns about her performance, particularly on those two issues.
Board President Ken Dauber said he cannot comment on personnel matters but "appreciate(s) her long years of service to the district."
Mak was hired in 1993 as the district's manager of fiscal services. She worked in that role until 2007, when she was promoted to her current position.
The district plans to hire a replacement for Mak by the start of the next school year so she can support the transition before leaving in October, according to board Vice President Jennifer DiBrienza.
This story contains 519 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.