* Walk in pairs
* Carry a light, whistle or alarm
* Call 911 or the dispatch center at 650-329-2413 to report suspicious behavior or persons
* Lock doors and windows when leaving, even in the summer
* Secure all belongings in garages and other locked storage, including locking vehicles
* Add locks to side gates and back-yard gates and use them
* Install a burglar alarm, a home surveillance system and post signs outside the home
* Get to know your neighbors, share tips and develop neighborhood email lists and neighborhood watch
* Leave on a radio or television if not at home
* Acknowledge your presence if at home and someone knocks. Yell through the door, even if you don't want to open it
* Rationalize suspicious behavior
* Confront a robber or fight anyone with a weapon
* Leave gates, vehicles or windows and doors unlocked
* Leave belongings and valuables exposed or in plain view — including in vehicles
This story contains 169 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.