Letters | April 23, 2010 | Palo Alto Weekly | Palo Alto Online |

Palo Alto Weekly

Spectrum - April 23, 2010

Letters

More park debate

This story contains 817 words.

Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.

If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.

Log in     Subscribe

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by K-Mart
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:12 am

Mr Mart continues his dis-information campaign regarding the Palo Alto Bowl.
He states:
"Let me ask one thing: when were we informed of this new motel and condo development? After the fact, right?"
This is a clear lie. You will note from the following story in the PA Weekly:
Web Link
"But the majority ultimately agreed that the proposed project was what the city envisioned when it rezoned the site about three years ago to allow commercial development.
"I think it's a community asset and I'll be sorry to see it go," Klein said. "But the City of Palo Alto doesn't own Palo Alto Bowl."
Klein also said the approval process for the project has been a "model one," featuring numerous commission reviews, extensive outreach to the surrounding neighborhood and application changes based on feedback from critics."

You will note that this matter was in the works for 3+ years prior to the vote and their was outreach to the neighborhoods and responses to critics. So why does Mr Mart claim that people found out after the fact?

Also do not forget another important fact which Mr Mart ignores, the rights of the property owners--the right of the original owner to sell to developers and the rights of the current owner to build on their site. As former councilmmeber Barton noted in the story:
""I appreciate Palo Alto Bowl, I used it, but the real question is not saving Palo Alto Bowl but the zoning rights of the property owners."


Mr Mart goes on to state:
"Were you ever asked for your opinion? I know I wasn't."
Mr Mart is a resident of Mountain View. He cannot tell Palo Alto what to do. That said, the article above show that this was in the works for a number of years. Mr Mart had plenty of time to offer his opinion.
It is false for him to claim that he was not asked.

It will be interesting to see now that the bowl has gotten a reprieve whether Mr Mart will actually take any real action to raise money to buy the bowl site. All we have seen so far is misinformation, attacks on city officials and denigration of "rich people".
The ball is in Mr Mart's court now. It is time for action not words.


Like this comment
Posted by Nate
a resident of Barron Park
on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

With reference to Andrea Oleason's letter about her perception of the industrialization of Byxbee Park; a headline in the paper this morning caught my eye: "7 unlikely threats to the planet.

Number 5 was Public parks because they require watering, fertilizer, maintenance and contribute to climate change.

So, maybe the PA City Council was right to take 10 acres of Byxbee Park for the digester to recycling our compostables and provide the City with green electricity.


Like this comment
Posted by Daniel Mart
a resident of Mountain View
on Apr 24, 2010 at 12:03 am

Daniel Mart is a registered user.

The PA Bowl letter is from last year ... so, this is either a mistake on the part of PA Online, or some fellow supporter decided to re-post it.

Either way ... any promotion is good promotion ;)


Like this comment
Posted by David Jones
a resident of Atherton
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

As a Ragazzi alumni parent, I heartily endorse Ms. Crowder's opinions. Ragazzi produces remarkable music and top-notch boys. They are frequently found at First United Methodist, downtown and at First Congregational on Embarcadero - hear them for yourself!


Like this comment
Posted by The Brenzel Family
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Thank you for publishing Wendy Crowder's letter. She is absolutely correct. Please make more of an effort to publicize the concerts and the choristers of this extraordinary local boys chorus. They are local and great!


Like this comment
Posted by David Hsiao
a resident of Midtown
on May 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Wendy Crowder's message is spot on. The Ragazzi Boys Chorus puts on fabulous performances. My son and many of his classmates do Palo Alto proud with their solos and involvement in this excellent organization. Ragazzi has even had a boy sing with the Vienna Boys Choir! Neighbors, friends, and family members enjoy the concerts, particularly those at First Congregational, First United Methodist churches, and other Palo Alto venues. Keep the news coming. The community benefits from great music and great boys.


Like this comment
Posted by Clare Warner
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 7, 2010 at 10:54 am

I, like Wendy Crowder, loved your recent article about Nathan Wilen, which focused on a young man who has found a passion in vocal music, nurtured by his longtime participation in Ragazzi Boys Chorus. It is hard to come by arts organizations solely for boys these days; and as a former Ragazzi parent and a member of the First Congregational Church, where Ragazzi often performs, I can attest to the fact that the chorus is a jewel and Nathan, a wonderful contributor. Thank you for doing this inspirational story.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.