A 32-year-old man, who experienced a sudden cardiac emergency near a Stanford University volleyball court last week, was attended to by a Stanford Emergency Medical Services (StEMS) volunteer, who administered Narcan, according to a press release issued by Laura L. Wilson, director of the department on Wednesday, Aug. 30.
An off-duty member of StEMS was flagged down by someone attempting to call 911 when the medical emergency occurred. The man was seen collapsing near a volleyball court at Manzanita Field off Jane Stanford Way.
The patient is not affiliated with Stanford University, and was passing through the campus after being released from the hospital, said the press release.
Narcan, also known as naloxone, is a medication renowned for its ability to rapidly counteract the effects of an opioid overdose.
"The rapid response and effective use of Narcan exemplify the exceptional dedication and training that Stanford StEMS volunteers bring to the community," said Captain Chris Cohendet, Stanford Department of Public Safety. "Their actions remind us of the critical role that first responders play in ensuring the well-being of individuals in times of crisis."
StEMS is a unique group of Emergency Medical Technicians who are from a variety of Stanford backgrounds, including undergraduates and graduates, supported by faculty and staff. They provide non-transport (standby) medical services to the students, faculty, and community around the campus and, if necessary, collaborate with Advanced Life Support for transport.