This Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day will affect local and regional transportation services throughout the Palo Alto area. We've compiled a list of agencies and their schedules during the federal holiday, plus events honoring the civil rights leader.
• Palo Alto libraries: All branches will be closed on Monday, Jan. 20.
• City of Palo Alto: All administrative offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 20.
• U.S. Postal Service: Post office locations nationwide will be closed on Monday, Jan. 20.
• Caltrain: Caltrain will run on a modified schedule on Martin Luther King Jr. Day this Monday, Jan. 20. Under the modified schedule, one train will run to and from Gilroy and two bullet trains in both directions between the San Jose Diridon station and San Francisco. For more information, visit caltrain.com
• SamTrans: SamTrans will operate a regular, non-school day schedule on Monday, Jan. 20. Bus routes that primarily service local schools will not be operating on Monday. For more information, visit samtrans.com.
• Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority: VTA will run regular service on Monday, Jan. 20. For more information, visit vta.org.
Things to do:
• Lee T. Bycel speech: Rabbi Lee T. Bycel, visiting professor at the University of San Francisco and author of "Refugees in America: Stories of Courage, Resilience, and Hope in Their Own Words," talks about the refugee experience and the connections and insights gained from Martin Luther King Jr. and his activism during the civil rights movement. The event will be held in Room E-104, Oshman Family JCC, 3921 Fabian Way in Palo Alto on Sunday, Jan. 19, 5-7 p.m. For more information and to RSVP, visit paloaltojcc.org.
• City of Palo Alto MLK event: The city of Palo Alto and Youth Community Service pays tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.'s lasting legacy through a day of activities. The event will include guest speakers, activities for youth and teens, live music and dance performances from local groups and an exhibition about Stanford University's Martin Luther King, Jr. Papers Project. The event will be held at Mitchell Park Community Center, 3700 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto, on Monday, Jan. 20, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. For more information, visit cityofpaloalto.org.
• Caltrain NorCalMLK Celebration Train: The celebration train on Monday, Jan. 20, is a free commemorative service organized by the Northern California Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Foundation (NorCalMLK), in partnership with Caltrain, for those that wish to attend an annual celebration of King in San Francisco. Caltrain will run the NorCalMLK Celebration Train from San Jose to San Francisco, with stops in Palo Alto (scheduled for 9:55 a.m.) and San Mateo. Attendees must register in advance in order to receive a free ticket. Tickets will be valid for the celebration train and for one southbound Caltrain trip after 1 p.m. on Monday. For more information and tickets for the Celebration Train, visit eventbrite.com.