News

Speaking to Silicon Valley's wealthiest, presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg says democracy must be a value, not just a system

Mayor from Indiana points to military service, tenure in Midwestern city as strengths during Palo Alto fundraiser

With less than a year left until the general election, Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg outlined his vision for the nation on Monday that included one bold proposal: doing away with the Electoral College in presidential elections and instead having each vote count as it does in every other election.

The move would make the nation more democratic, he said before an overflow crowd at a fundraiser in Palo Alto's Crescent Park neighborhood on Monday morning.

The coffee-and-light-breakfast event was held at the home of Flipboard CEO Mike McCue and his wife, Marci McCue, head of the tech company's marketing and communications, according to campaign staff. The morning gathering that cost $2,800 per ticket attracted 120 donors. The Palo Alto event is one of four fundraisers for Buttigieg this week in the Bay Area, where he was also scheduled to make stops in Napa Valley, Woodside and San Francisco. The South Bend, Indiana mayor last came through Silicon Valley in September.

By way of introducing Buttigieg, host Marci McCue told the crowd that the country cannot wait to address core issues such as climate change and press freedom — questions her children ask about all of the time.

"This is a time where we must take action," Marci McCue said.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Join

Buttigieg, dressed in navy-blue dress slacks, a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a dark-blue, patterned tie, stood on a small raised platform in front of the fireplace, surrounded by red poinsettias. The crowd of attendees filled the living room and spilled out onto the outdoor deck. He spoke for roughly 37 minutes, which included a question-and-answer period, with a message that largely focused on how to bring a broken country together.

Despite having many Silicon Valley donors, he did not discuss technology policy. Instead, he stressed finding commonalities through issues that threaten the nation's security, such as climate change and gun violence. As president, he would help guide the nation to a new definition of patriotism and love of country that involves caring for each other rather than polarization, he said.

"Visualize, with as much detail as you can, what it's going to be like on a day that is fast approaching in this country — and it will come one way or the other — which is when the sun will come up over our country and Donald Trump will no longer be the president of the United States," Buttigieg said.

"It can't come soon enough, right? Just put the chaos behind us, put the tweets behind us. ... This is not only about bringing an end to the Trump presidency; this is about launching the era that begins on that day. And if you think about what America will need, if you think about what America will require of its president on that day, we will be a nation that will be even more divided than we are now. The sun will be coming up over a polarized country that's exhausted from fighting and is very much in need of being brought together," he said.

The country also needs urgent action on major issues, which aren't taking a vacation during the impeachment process, he said.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

"The sun will be coming up in a climate that science tells us is a few years away from a point of no return. It will be coming up over a country where kids are learning active-shooter drills before they are old enough to learn how to read. And so, what that means is that the next president has to be ready to act boldly and swiftly to deal with those issues," he said.

Climate change, which he called "the greatest security challenge of our time," poses a grave threat to national security, he said. Fighting it requires the nation to come together and to lead the world.

Bringing the country together and meeting its many challenges is a tall order, he admitted. There's a road map, however, that guides the values that bring Americans together, such as love for the country, he said.

"When I think of patriotism, I am not talking about the chest-thumping militarism of a president who throws out military justice to pardon war criminals," Buttigieg, an Afghan War veteran, said. "Certainly, (I'm) not talking about the cheap nationalism of a president who hugs the flag — literally — as though that makes you more pro-American. I'm talking about a sense of love of country that has a different foundation — the foundation being that our country is made of people, and you can't love a country if you hate half the people," he said.

Instead, Buttigieg said, he would strive to imbue values that build on an understanding that protecting the country is based on protecting each other. Such protections include gun control. The Second Amendment "would no longer be twisted into an excuse to do nothing at all when it comes to saving thousands of lives from gun violence," he said.

The nation can tap into faith and morality to help it heal and move progressively.

"People of any moral tradition in this country have a choice right now, and we have a different choice than what's on display in this White House. I'm here for a vision of democracy as a value — not just democracy as a system — but democracy as a value with moral weight," he said.

To that end, he stressed the dangers the nation faces by an uneven electoral system that grows increasingly fragile through precinct redistricting and voter suppression that favor political parties and not the people. Voting is a common value; the country cannot tolerate voter suppression, particularly racial voter suppression that changes election outcomes, he said.

"It's why Stacey Abrams is not the governor of Georgia, and (it) harms everybody in the process," he said in reference to the 2018 gubernatorial candidate.

The country must act to make the nation more democratic and not less, he said. He supports doing away with the Electoral College in presidential elections in the future and having each vote count as it does in every other election.

Buttigieg also pushed back on "the thin idea of freedom" delivered by cutting every tax and program in sight. He proposed that government should get "out of the way of the business of dictating to women what their reproductive health care choices are," he said.

But he said the government also plays a role in securing freedom.

"Often, securing freedom requires that the public sector step up. We already understand this at the local level. We expect it of our mayors to enhance our freedom by making sure that a road is without any holes in it to get us to where we're going and that we have safe drinking water coming out of the tap. We expect it of our schools," he said.

The public sector should also step up to ensure that people have the choice of having health care "because you are not free if you don't have it," he said. His proposal for "Medicare for All for all who want it" respects American freedom by creating a public plan that people can join if they want to, he said.

Buttigieg also called on progressives to not reject "those who have not always been on our side."

By seeking to join around core issues and to find common ground, "We're not going to allow fighting to be all that we've got.

Buttigieg said he thinks an American experience is defined not by exclusion but by belonging. If we can build up that sense of belonging then everything else gets better in this country," he said.

Buttigieg said he would create a million-person, paid volunteer program to bring people together. He urged people to be serious about the problems facing the nation and the world.

"We can't wait 10 years; we can't wait four years to deal with these issues that are upon us. We can't wait four years or a minute longer to deal with the climate; we can't wait to act to dismantle structures of white supremacy that are threatening the entire future of the republic — and always has — but I think in our lifetime we will see what wins," he said.

Buttigieg challenged the notion that he isn't experienced enough to be president since he has only been a mayor and is not experienced in federal governance. He said being a mayor means he has had to deal with many of the same problems faced by a president and manage many more people than U.S. senators do. He holds himself accountable to the answers he gives on television when faced by his constituents in the grocery store, he said. He also noted that being a mayor in a Midwestern city and from the Rust Belt means he understands the challenges facing people in the middle of the country and the working class.

One of the greatest challenges he sees is breaking down the silos people have constructed that don't allow them to relate to others, particularly around race.

"We have to break through this idea that either you care about auto workers or you care about the plight of African American single mothers. Where I come from, that auto worker just might be an African American single mother," he said.

He views his military experience as a strength in responding to Trump's claims on how to utilize armed forces. Serving in Afghanistan has informed much of his understanding of how people can come together. While in the military, he worked alongside many people who were of different races, ethnicity, faiths and races.

"We had nothing in common but the flag on our shoulder, quite honestly," he said. In war, trust and support was crucial to survival, he said.

Buttigieg said that although younger voters appear to be gravitating to other Democratic presidential candidates such as U.S. Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, he would offer the most progressive presidency if elected. Besides his young age — 37 — he would bring a different vision for the country.

"In the last 50 years, every single time my party's won the White House, certain things have been true about the nominee — always. It's been somebody who's been new on the national scene and had not run for president before; it's been somebody that's been calling the country to its highest values; it's been somebody who was not perceived as a creature of Washington ... and it's been somebody who has opened the door to a new type of leadership," he said.

"We need the right kind of leadership. We need to build it out in a way that can draw as many people as possible. And we need to spread a sense of hope," he said.

The act of running for office is its own kind of hope, he noted.

"It's why we're called presidential hopefuls," he joked. He added that it's the hope and will to take hold of the rudder and steer the country in a progressive direction — that is why a candidate runs for office.

In a nation that has become increasingly cynical, Buttigieg said that he's aware there are some who have just about given up hope. It's that group he asked the Palo Alto crowd to help reach out to and galvanize.

"The presidency has a purpose. The purpose of the presidency is not to glorify the president. It is to unify and empower the American people, and that's why I'm running for president," he said.

Buttigieg is one of a number of presidential candidates who have come through Silicon Valley in recent weeks. U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar attended a fundraiser in Palo Alto on Nov. 14; former Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Sen. Cory Booker attended separate fundraising events in Palo Alto over the past week and Julian Castro, former secretary of Housing and Urban Development, was at Stanford University for a speaking engagement on Dec. 5.

A front row seat to local high school sports.

Check out our new newsletter, the Playbook.

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Speaking to Silicon Valley's wealthiest, presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg says democracy must be a value, not just a system

Mayor from Indiana points to military service, tenure in Midwestern city as strengths during Palo Alto fundraiser

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Mon, Dec 16, 2019, 5:59 pm

With less than a year left until the general election, Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg outlined his vision for the nation on Monday that included one bold proposal: doing away with the Electoral College in presidential elections and instead having each vote count as it does in every other election.

The move would make the nation more democratic, he said before an overflow crowd at a fundraiser in Palo Alto's Crescent Park neighborhood on Monday morning.

The coffee-and-light-breakfast event was held at the home of Flipboard CEO Mike McCue and his wife, Marci McCue, head of the tech company's marketing and communications, according to campaign staff. The morning gathering that cost $2,800 per ticket attracted 120 donors. The Palo Alto event is one of four fundraisers for Buttigieg this week in the Bay Area, where he was also scheduled to make stops in Napa Valley, Woodside and San Francisco. The South Bend, Indiana mayor last came through Silicon Valley in September.

By way of introducing Buttigieg, host Marci McCue told the crowd that the country cannot wait to address core issues such as climate change and press freedom — questions her children ask about all of the time.

"This is a time where we must take action," Marci McCue said.

Buttigieg, dressed in navy-blue dress slacks, a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a dark-blue, patterned tie, stood on a small raised platform in front of the fireplace, surrounded by red poinsettias. The crowd of attendees filled the living room and spilled out onto the outdoor deck. He spoke for roughly 37 minutes, which included a question-and-answer period, with a message that largely focused on how to bring a broken country together.

Despite having many Silicon Valley donors, he did not discuss technology policy. Instead, he stressed finding commonalities through issues that threaten the nation's security, such as climate change and gun violence. As president, he would help guide the nation to a new definition of patriotism and love of country that involves caring for each other rather than polarization, he said.

"Visualize, with as much detail as you can, what it's going to be like on a day that is fast approaching in this country — and it will come one way or the other — which is when the sun will come up over our country and Donald Trump will no longer be the president of the United States," Buttigieg said.

"It can't come soon enough, right? Just put the chaos behind us, put the tweets behind us. ... This is not only about bringing an end to the Trump presidency; this is about launching the era that begins on that day. And if you think about what America will need, if you think about what America will require of its president on that day, we will be a nation that will be even more divided than we are now. The sun will be coming up over a polarized country that's exhausted from fighting and is very much in need of being brought together," he said.

The country also needs urgent action on major issues, which aren't taking a vacation during the impeachment process, he said.

"The sun will be coming up in a climate that science tells us is a few years away from a point of no return. It will be coming up over a country where kids are learning active-shooter drills before they are old enough to learn how to read. And so, what that means is that the next president has to be ready to act boldly and swiftly to deal with those issues," he said.

Climate change, which he called "the greatest security challenge of our time," poses a grave threat to national security, he said. Fighting it requires the nation to come together and to lead the world.

Bringing the country together and meeting its many challenges is a tall order, he admitted. There's a road map, however, that guides the values that bring Americans together, such as love for the country, he said.

"When I think of patriotism, I am not talking about the chest-thumping militarism of a president who throws out military justice to pardon war criminals," Buttigieg, an Afghan War veteran, said. "Certainly, (I'm) not talking about the cheap nationalism of a president who hugs the flag — literally — as though that makes you more pro-American. I'm talking about a sense of love of country that has a different foundation — the foundation being that our country is made of people, and you can't love a country if you hate half the people," he said.

Instead, Buttigieg said, he would strive to imbue values that build on an understanding that protecting the country is based on protecting each other. Such protections include gun control. The Second Amendment "would no longer be twisted into an excuse to do nothing at all when it comes to saving thousands of lives from gun violence," he said.

The nation can tap into faith and morality to help it heal and move progressively.

"People of any moral tradition in this country have a choice right now, and we have a different choice than what's on display in this White House. I'm here for a vision of democracy as a value — not just democracy as a system — but democracy as a value with moral weight," he said.

To that end, he stressed the dangers the nation faces by an uneven electoral system that grows increasingly fragile through precinct redistricting and voter suppression that favor political parties and not the people. Voting is a common value; the country cannot tolerate voter suppression, particularly racial voter suppression that changes election outcomes, he said.

"It's why Stacey Abrams is not the governor of Georgia, and (it) harms everybody in the process," he said in reference to the 2018 gubernatorial candidate.

The country must act to make the nation more democratic and not less, he said. He supports doing away with the Electoral College in presidential elections in the future and having each vote count as it does in every other election.

Buttigieg also pushed back on "the thin idea of freedom" delivered by cutting every tax and program in sight. He proposed that government should get "out of the way of the business of dictating to women what their reproductive health care choices are," he said.

But he said the government also plays a role in securing freedom.

"Often, securing freedom requires that the public sector step up. We already understand this at the local level. We expect it of our mayors to enhance our freedom by making sure that a road is without any holes in it to get us to where we're going and that we have safe drinking water coming out of the tap. We expect it of our schools," he said.

The public sector should also step up to ensure that people have the choice of having health care "because you are not free if you don't have it," he said. His proposal for "Medicare for All for all who want it" respects American freedom by creating a public plan that people can join if they want to, he said.

Buttigieg also called on progressives to not reject "those who have not always been on our side."

By seeking to join around core issues and to find common ground, "We're not going to allow fighting to be all that we've got.

Buttigieg said he thinks an American experience is defined not by exclusion but by belonging. If we can build up that sense of belonging then everything else gets better in this country," he said.

Buttigieg said he would create a million-person, paid volunteer program to bring people together. He urged people to be serious about the problems facing the nation and the world.

"We can't wait 10 years; we can't wait four years to deal with these issues that are upon us. We can't wait four years or a minute longer to deal with the climate; we can't wait to act to dismantle structures of white supremacy that are threatening the entire future of the republic — and always has — but I think in our lifetime we will see what wins," he said.

Buttigieg challenged the notion that he isn't experienced enough to be president since he has only been a mayor and is not experienced in federal governance. He said being a mayor means he has had to deal with many of the same problems faced by a president and manage many more people than U.S. senators do. He holds himself accountable to the answers he gives on television when faced by his constituents in the grocery store, he said. He also noted that being a mayor in a Midwestern city and from the Rust Belt means he understands the challenges facing people in the middle of the country and the working class.

One of the greatest challenges he sees is breaking down the silos people have constructed that don't allow them to relate to others, particularly around race.

"We have to break through this idea that either you care about auto workers or you care about the plight of African American single mothers. Where I come from, that auto worker just might be an African American single mother," he said.

He views his military experience as a strength in responding to Trump's claims on how to utilize armed forces. Serving in Afghanistan has informed much of his understanding of how people can come together. While in the military, he worked alongside many people who were of different races, ethnicity, faiths and races.

"We had nothing in common but the flag on our shoulder, quite honestly," he said. In war, trust and support was crucial to survival, he said.

Buttigieg said that although younger voters appear to be gravitating to other Democratic presidential candidates such as U.S. Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, he would offer the most progressive presidency if elected. Besides his young age — 37 — he would bring a different vision for the country.

"In the last 50 years, every single time my party's won the White House, certain things have been true about the nominee — always. It's been somebody who's been new on the national scene and had not run for president before; it's been somebody that's been calling the country to its highest values; it's been somebody who was not perceived as a creature of Washington ... and it's been somebody who has opened the door to a new type of leadership," he said.

"We need the right kind of leadership. We need to build it out in a way that can draw as many people as possible. And we need to spread a sense of hope," he said.

The act of running for office is its own kind of hope, he noted.

"It's why we're called presidential hopefuls," he joked. He added that it's the hope and will to take hold of the rudder and steer the country in a progressive direction — that is why a candidate runs for office.

In a nation that has become increasingly cynical, Buttigieg said that he's aware there are some who have just about given up hope. It's that group he asked the Palo Alto crowd to help reach out to and galvanize.

"The presidency has a purpose. The purpose of the presidency is not to glorify the president. It is to unify and empower the American people, and that's why I'm running for president," he said.

Buttigieg is one of a number of presidential candidates who have come through Silicon Valley in recent weeks. U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar attended a fundraiser in Palo Alto on Nov. 14; former Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Sen. Cory Booker attended separate fundraising events in Palo Alto over the past week and Julian Castro, former secretary of Housing and Urban Development, was at Stanford University for a speaking engagement on Dec. 5.

Comments

James
another community
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:02 pm
James, another community
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Trump will not be removed from office despite the efforts of the Democrats.
Trump will be re-elected president for another 4 years.


Howard Kushlan
Downtown North
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Howard Kushlan, Downtown North
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:19 pm

I loathe this empty suit. Where to start...first he was a progressive until that lane closed to him, then switched every single view he had. He's a dumb person's idea of a smart person. Has never taken on a powerful interest cause all he does is suck up to them. Has a horrible record on race relations. McKinsey Pete is the worst of the worst. He's a smug person who cares only about attaining power, not about using it to improve people's lives. Please don't fall for this nonsense.

Look around at health care in this country. See people suffering. 1/4 people with cancer go bankrupt. But that doesn't matter to McKinsey Pete. What a letdown.


Howard Kushlan
Downtown North
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Howard Kushlan, Downtown North
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Ask yourself why he's being funded by so much health care money, so many billionaires, so much of wall street, and so many private equity folks. Then just honestly ask yourself if your interests align with theirs.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:41 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:41 pm
I Like Pete
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:51 pm
I Like Pete, Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 16, 2019 at 7:51 pm

"He's a dumb person's idea of a smart person."

Only a dumb person would say that. That description is more applicable to Trump.

Buttigieg is actually more of a smart person's idea of a smart person, but that could be the biggest problem facing him: he resonates with his fellow highly-educated high-achievers but doesn't do as well with normal folk as, say, Bernie or Biden.


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 16, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 16, 2019 at 8:19 pm

I started rolling my eyes after reading through Pete's remarks. He sounds pretentious and overly polished. Like he should be doing a broadcast on NPR or something.
"democracy as a value with moral weight" blah blah blah blah. What is that even supposed to mean? More holier-than-thou posturing.
The one thing Trump has over these professional politicans is that he expresses himself in a way that's more raw and genuine, whether you love it or loathe it.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 16, 2019 at 8:29 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 16, 2019 at 8:29 pm

> (Trump) expresses himself in a way that's more raw

The list of lies in the last 3 years is truly outstanding. But when it comes to raw, yup, you got it: "I like to grab them by the......"

Ain't much any POTUS has ever said more raw than that (except Nixon, perhaps.)


"President Trump has made 15,413 false or misleading claims over 1,055 days" Web Link


Anonymous
Duveneck/St. Francis
on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Anonymous, Duveneck/St. Francis
on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Too young and inexperienced. Speaking with affected gravitas only goes so far (a lot more pleasant than Trump, but we have other better choices than either of the above).


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 7:11 am
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 7:11 am

What if someone followed you around 24/7 with a camera and recorded every sarcastic statement you made, took it completely out of context, and then printed it in the WAPO as "this person lies 10 million times a day!".

The left-wing propaganda is so dangerous and effective because so many of you BELIEVE it. Evidenced in unoriginal parroting of defamatory stories like anyone actually cares about "Access Hollywood" a random sentence spoken 15 years ago. Its entirely irrelevant.

I wonder what we could uncover if someone had recorded Buttigieg's entire life and some of the things he has said privately. Hmmmm! Don't we all have some skeletons in our closet? But I for one don't judge an entire person's character by a line recorded 15 years ago and then endlessly repeated by CNN.

People are so easily manipulated by MSM.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:19 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:19 am

> if someone followed you around 24/7 with a camera

Would they catch you admitting serial sexual assault, grabbing women by the *****?

> Don't we all have some skeletons in our closet?

Admitting serial sexual assault, paying off porno hookers with illegal campaign funds, rape accusations from over a dozen women, cheating with porn actors while 'model' Melania births Barron - are these the "skeletons" most folks hide?

What are you telling us, @resident?

"People are so easily manipulated by Fox."


Susan Anthony
Mountain View
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:59 am
Susan Anthony, Mountain View
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:59 am

The current presidential election system creates two kinds of Americans, those who matter and those who don’t. Those who are treated like they matter or they don’t matter. Those who believe that they matter or don’t matter.

Now we need to urge state legislators, in states with the 74 more electoral votes needed, to enact the National Popular Vote bill.

There have been hundreds of unsuccessful proposed amendments to modify or abolish the Electoral College - more than any other subject of Constitutional reform.
To abolish the Electoral College would need a constitutional amendment, and could be stopped by states with as little as 3% of the U.S. population.

Instead, state legislation, the National Popular Vote bill is 73% of the way to guaranteeing the majority of Electoral College votes and the presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country, by changing state winner-take-all laws (not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, but later enacted by 48 states), without changing anything in the Constitution, using the built-in method that the Constitution provides for states to make changes.

It requires enacting states with 270 electoral votes to award their electoral votes to the winner of the most national popular votes.

All voters would be valued equally in presidential elections, no matter where they live.


musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:04 am
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:04 am

^ You mean abolish the United States Senate?


Enough with name calling and insults
another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:22 am
Enough with name calling and insults, another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:22 am

Whatever happened to respect and intelligent debate? If you do not want to vote for Pete then DON'T! It's not necessary to indulge in name calling and insults. Pete did not shirk his obligation to his country he volunteered at a Navy recruting office AFTER Harvard (how many Ivy/Stanford Alums have done that?). Trump's 5 deferments are a disgrace, the bone spur deferment a result of a rent break for a podiatrist tenant in daddy's building. Then there is Trump Univ, Trump Foundation, insulting countless people including a little girl just a week ago, personally I have HAD IT. I was actually AT the Woodside event and I am not wealthy, in fact I have been volunteering for six months with hundreds of other grassroots volunteers, and I would hope anyone who wants change in this country is doing the same for their candidate.

Pete is a genuine person, unfortunately he cannot bankroll his campaign like Bloomberg, he has the lowest networth of any of the DEM candidates. He understands world affairs, he can actually read and comprehend complex ideas, and 'regular' people who have had the opportunity to work with him (security companies etc) have said he is a geninuely nice guy, Isn't that refreshing? Make American Ethical Again. I cannot wait #PETE2020


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:37 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:37 am

> ^ You mean abolish the United States Senate?

Comprehension used to be important. Sigh.

Perhaps you failed to understand what the poster wrote: "without changing anything in the Constitution, using the built-in method that the Constitution provides..."


google: National Popular Vote


Change
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:53 am
Change, Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 9:53 am

As someone mentioned above, Pete's biggest problem might be that he is well educated, eloquent, pleasant and jut plain nice.
I personally like him very much. I like what he stands for, his ideas, his military history, his educational background.
But the last 3 years the level of discourse and the linguistic levels have been lowered to the ground. It will take a great amount of effort for someone who is used to 3 basic word sentences and name calling to be able to comprehend normal educated adult speech.
Lordy, we so need the change though :(


Another
Registered user
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 17, 2019 at 10:39 am
Another, Adobe-Meadow
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 10:39 am

'What if someone followed you around 24/7 with a camera and recorded every sarcastic statement you made, took it completely out of context, and then printed it in the WAPO as "this person lies 10 million times a day!".'

You don't need to take Trump out of context to show he's a liar. Just read his tweets. He lies almost every day on Twitter.


@Another 'almost' every day? surely you jest...
another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 11:45 am
@Another 'almost' every day? surely you jest..., another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 11:45 am

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


Your mama
Crescent Park
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Your mama, Crescent Park
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Hilarious. Is that three Dems in a week here? Let’s go collect money from all these capitalists we hate. Then let’s put them out of business.


Paul C.
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Paul C., Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Clearly Pete copies a lot of ideas from Andrew Yang.

Web Link

That's good to see sanity prevails and Yang's ideas are adopted widely and even globally, from Iceland, Canada to New Zealand... I'd love Pete more if he can throw his support behind Yang or at least give Yang the credits with not just ideas but sound solutions.


I like Pete.
Registered user
Duveneck/St. Francis
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm
I like Pete., Duveneck/St. Francis
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm

I haven't decided who will get my vote, but I like Pete's intelligence and stated values.

"Too Polished" for you? We could do with a little polish in the Oval Office right about now.


paulsimon99
Registered user
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:57 pm
paulsimon99, Midtown
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Pete likes himself too much. He wants to look good, talk well and is eager to be an elite among elite but it is his sheer ambition like many residents in Palo Alto. Just like other elites he doesn't to know/care sufferings of normal people. He will lose facing Trump.


Pete enjoys money and power
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Pete enjoys money and power, Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:09 pm

Read Pete's book. You will find that all this it is about him, his resume and career path to be a President. Not about those who really need the help. He will be just like Trump who panders to his rich friends and big corp donors.

View these threads on Twitter and FB to learn what Pete is really about. #RePete #WallStreetPete #RefundPete


Pete
Community Center
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Pete , Community Center
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:10 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


Mid-town PA
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Mid-town PA, Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Wow... looks like the Russian trolls and their ilk have infiltrated Palo Alto Online. Scary. I know many of these comments are strategic placements... The alternative--that PA is starting to lean right or become complacent--is unfathomable to me!
Look... Pete is a welcome breath of fresh air to today's political climate. The kind of change that Trump (cheating notwithstanding) proved is possible. He's articulate and makes sense when he speaks. I don't think we need to dumb down the narrative to appeal to more folks, let's raise them up instead.
Aside from the piercing glimpses into the obvious that Pete is providing with his platform, he's trying to be electable by towing the middle line. I'd much rather have medicare for all, like most countries, but I'm willing to compromise until the FUD dies down and people understand that the model can work.
Pete's vision is evolutionary not revolutionary, but it directly addresses real-world problems in a pragmatic and compelling way without all the political posturing.


Resident 1-Adobe Meadows
Registered user
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Resident 1-Adobe Meadows, Adobe-Meadow
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 1:44 pm

A value - similar to the Sanctuary City rules - it is what ever the traffic will bear and what ever the person speaking decides is a value. In a diverse country a "value" will differ greatly if you are in the farm belt, the manufacturing belt, the IT belt. It is a self serving approach to problem solving - it is a response to a problem which has no real answer or resolution. It is a delaying tactic that tries to put flowers on the response but no action required to be provided.
Problem resolution at this time requires good legislation, good funding, and good management. We are looking for actions which provide a result that benefits the overall community and moves forward. He needs to say what his action will be on important issues.


Medicare for All NOT a CURE ALL
another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Medicare for All NOT a CURE ALL, another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


George
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm
George, Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm

If we were really honest, we Californians, we would acknowledge that our long, long - too long street battle over immigration, which has contributed so much to our political divisions is really about power protecting it's rights to cheap labor. 90% of California's ag workers are undocumented and of those only 50% pay taxes. California would be a much poorer economy without the ability to flood the labor pools with cheap labor. Not just in the Central Valley but in tech, and construction, etc. people think that republicans are evil monsters for asking that the laws be obeyed (Republicans generally endorse the H1 visa program and have never ever suggested limits on the number of temporary but documented workers or limits on legal immigration). It's always been framed as an assault on the poor immigrants yearning to breathe free but it's really more about keeping cheap labor.
There is a lot about the left, and certainly the far left, and Pete, that is more populist theater than seriously practical reform. A good ecological alarm or victim narrative can float a Democratic candidate a Kong way. There's a group that wants to hear good theater performances on the whole global warming thing, other groups drawn in with free college or loan forgiveness or some silly healthcare plan and the good candidate performs on queue to each of these themes. Race always draws a crowd but, for me, this is Pete pandering - we want to move beyond labeling people by color and politicians who play the race card.
The big issues are indeed big and serious matters but only real science and really good managers can get us there. Pete is good enough to get money from Palo Altan's but what does he really offer?
Californians don't have a great track record for choosing good leaders. I'd bet Democrats secretly look at the field and wonder how they vote for Joe, or a communist Bernie, or Warren who hates banks, etc. and think, we'll, Pete at least looks normal.



Midtown PA
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Midtown PA, Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm

@ Resident 1-Adobe Meadows. I'm a moral relativist, but I do believe values can (and should) drive policy. It's not self-serving or delaying... it's directional. It means that as long as you truly believe that healthcare is a right and not a privilege, the way you get there matters less.... problems always have solutions if you're creative enough and driven by purpose. People like Trump's simplicity but what could be more simple than letting values drive how you govern rather than special interests? Like his McKinsey background or not, the one skill folks learn there is how to make pragmatic, fact-based decisions..That type of efficiency without values is lethal because it gets things done.
No politician talks details this early in a campaign. He's interviewing for a job right now.... would you expect a job candidate to tell you how to run the company before s/he gets the job. You hire on perceived potential and VALUES.


END GAME = WIN ELECTORAL COLLEGE
another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:08 pm
END GAME = WIN ELECTORAL COLLEGE, another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:08 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


Kehlar
Los Altos
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Kehlar, Los Altos
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Of all the front runners, Pete is the only one that I just can't get behind. I don't know what he stands for. Nothing about him stands out. Nothing about him excites me. It seems the only reason he gets this much support is because he's a young moderate - basically Biden supporters who think Biden is too old.

And the closed-door donor dinners with billionaires tell me who he will have to answer to if he becomes the president. Trillion dollar companies will continue to pay ZERO federal tax.

More importantly, he's not going to beat Trump in the general election. Half of the polls out there have Trump beating him. Polls are not everything but we have better Democratic candidates who have much better chances of beating Trump.


@Kehlar, respectfully disagree
another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:50 pm
@Kehlar, respectfully disagree, another community
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:50 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:55 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:55 pm
What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:57 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 2:57 pm

"Buttigieg said he would create a million-person, paid volunteer program to bring people together."

I thought volunteers worked without being paid. A bit of an oxymoron? Well at least he could say he created a million more jobs during his tenure as president, except for one thing...he'll never get the nomination. Anyone who thinks he can is delusional.

Donald Trump will get a second term, most likely by a landslide victory. I know that's really hard for progressive liberals in Palo Alto to wrap their heads around, but the majority of the country aren't like the bay area, L.A. or pockets of metropolitan areas on the east coast. Add to that a booming economy, record low unemployment numbers and Trump putting an end to countries taking advantage of our generosity and you have a winning formula.

BTW, Pete is doing very poorly among Black Americans and other minorities. Doesn't surprise me that his speech gave mention to a lot of Black American concerns.

And thanks, George for your objectivity and honesty in your comments above.


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:33 pm
facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:37 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:37 pm

> the majority of the country aren't like the bay area

Yes, they are, more than you 'think'.

70% of Americans want Trump's accomplices (Rudy, Bolton, etc..) to testify at his trial.

USA Today: "79% of Democrats, 64% of Republicans and 72% of independents agree that Trump should allow them to appear in a Senate trial" Web Link

SIXTY FOUR percent of REPUBLICANS think his accomplices should testify.



----


fox 'news': "the Fox News poll released Sunday said that 54 percent of Americans want to see President Trump impeached"

54-41, from fox itself.

Wow.





facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:39 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:39 pm

> you're really the only one being a troll here

Says the poster of opinions, to the poster of actual facts.

"79% of Democrats, 64% of Republicans and 72% of independents agree that Trump should allow them to appear in a Senate trial"


@ Fake Paulsimon99, He likes himself?? Huh?
Crescent Park
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:43 pm
@ Fake Paulsimon99, He likes himself?? Huh?, Crescent Park
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:43 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


Too Young or Too Old? I wil take Young please
Community Center
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:50 pm
Too Young or Too Old? I wil take Young please, Community Center
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:50 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Posted by Resident, a resident of Midtown

>> What if someone followed you around 24/7 with a camera and recorded every sarcastic statement you made, took it completely out of context, and then printed it in the WAPO as "this person lies 10 million times a day!".

>> The left-wing propaganda is so dangerous and effective because so many of you BELIEVE it.

Resident, you are very slightly confused. You think that we all are somehow taking an opinion from wherever, like you take yours from Fox News. But, in reality, all you have to do is listen to Trump himself. He contradicts himself constantly, sometimes within two or three sentences. When he does that, one of his contradictory statements must not be factual, wouldn't you agree?

Google "trump h2b visa guest workers mar a lago" to find out what the score really is.


Midtown PA
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Midtown PA, Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:23 pm

@what willl they do next
>Donald Trump will get a second term, most likely by a landslide victory.
In your pipe dreams. In the same way I could never fathom a Donald Trump victory in what seems eons ago, I think you should be open to a blue landslide out of the blue.
If they couldn't see it before, folks are woke now to the price we've paid over the last 3 years to our country's integrity, values and basic human decency. Ask the fly-overs if they're better off today than they were three years ago, and I think you'll get a big fat "meh" at best. Ironically, the folks who may be benefitting the most from the macroeconomic examples you cite, are the ones living in the "bay area, L.A. or pockets of metropolitan areas on the east coast" and I think you know how they'll vote despite all their new good fortune.
Let's assume, for the sake argument, that the country is doing well because of Trump instead of despite him... then the rules of a "high-performing toxic leader" still apply. The price of your so-called success is far too high. The reality is that if you look behind the curtain, the country is in a downward spiral so the arguments for re-election, to use another Republican analogy, are just lipstick on a pig.


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Posted by What Will They Do Next, a resident of Old Palo Alto

>> Donald Trump will get a second term, most likely by a landslide victory.

He certainly might win again. Not likely by a "landslide victory". He lost the popular vote last time by what, 2.8M votes? If he wins, it will be the same way he won last time, by appealing to anti-immigrant "racial resentment" across states which are over-represented in the Electoral College.

Check out google scholar. All serious research supports the "racial resentment" hypothesis.

Web Link


What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:00 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:00 pm
What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:02 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:02 pm
What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:08 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:08 pm

@ Midtown PA.....downward spiral ??? Oh, please. The country hasn't done this well in over 50 years and both liberal and conservative "economy" experts don't see an end to this anytime in the near future. Might want to take off the blinders.

And yes, it's doing so because of the Trump policies. But then, you probably think Obama did it.


What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:10 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:10 pm
What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:49 pm
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 5:49 pm
@Old Palo Alto
Mountain View
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:45 pm
@Old Palo Alto, Mountain View
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Yes to Pete!
Registered user
Midtown
on Dec 17, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Yes to Pete!, Midtown
Registered user
on Dec 17, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Smart, thoughtful, empathetic, and wise beyond his years. He’s done his homework and speaks with understanding, detail and vision about the challenges before us. He listens to the public and tells us how what he’s heard affects his thinking. He talks to the public like he respects your time and intellect. He uses substance and action to counter political attacks. He explains his reasoning, doesn’t just throw out poll-polished one liners to hit all the value-signalers’ top ten; he doesn’t pander.

This is the guy for us folks!


Christian for truth and democracy
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2019 at 2:44 am
Christian for truth and democracy, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2019 at 2:44 am

Democratic voters have got to stop thinking like the President has to be their own personal leader exactly perfect in every way, or they aren't going to bother. ALL voters have got to stop thinking that voting for President solves everything.

Republicans have been hell bent on getting a permanent majority for 40 years -- they even called it that "Permanent Republican Majority." And thrashing our government into such weakness that companies can be in charge "drown in in a bathtub" is the phrase (unfortunately, the Russians also realized THEY could take advantage, too). What our foes couldn't do to us in war, the Republicans did to us through their blind power hungry scheming.

While Democrats nitpick over this characteristic or that, Republicans just want to stack every branch of government so the conversion of our country to plutocracy/oligarchy can be permanent. They pretend to care about competition while making government subject to the worst corruption for lack of it. The primary goal seems to be to lie to cut top tax rates (and thus redistribute and concentrate wealth and power at the top, which has largely been successful). Reagan's own budget director admitted the laissez faire stuff was all just a Trojan horse for cutting top tax rates and quit because of the lies. The Republicans have become the party of lies to keep this going; the current lying admin is no anomaly.

No surprise that they have had to engage in more and more lying as time passed. Also no surprise that none of the Republicans in recent history have won with a majority. They are hanging on because of lying and unholy tactics, and false promises to those who worship them like Gods (see how 45 throws the religious right a bone every time someone brings up the fact that George Bush had a majority of Republicans in all branches of government for SIX years, he was an evangelical, yet they did not overturn Roe then, and 45 has done all manner of stuff, even paid for billionaires unnecessary tax cuts by shaking down millions of middle class families in blue states and running up the debt, yet somehow hasn't managed to make abortion illegal either. It's clear evidence don't really want to, they just want to keep their party faithful on a short leash.)

Back to Democrats. Until they wake up to the machinations of Republicans (and now the Russians -- the Republussians) trying to destroy our democratic republic, and DEMOCRATIC VOTERS get out in force and stay out in force, and remember to vote not just in Presidential elections, there's really no way to strengthen our democratic institutions, and given the relentless assault (not just on our nation, but on the once-honorable Republican party (which is now a bitter, hateful, lying, unhealthy shell of its former self), Democratic voters really have to be much more pragmatic if they want balance and democracy back.

Why aren't any of the current candidates taking one for the team? Where are the candidates who can get real about the economy every time a glossy lie is told -- manufacturing is in a recession, farmers are losing their futures, many of the economic numbers being lauded as so great now are not really any different than the ones in the Obama years called bad, and he had to keep us from going into a Great Depression (brought on by the previous Republican administration).

Democratic candidates should be going full court press against the lies, against the corruption, even against the spinning the media seems to only be willing to pass along from Republicans. Like screaming about a "coup" when even if this President is removed from office -- which isn't even remotely possible given the utter corrupt bias of Republicans -- then the elected VP Republican (Pence) would be President, hardly a "coup". In fact, Republicans got rid of the elected Democratic governor of California because they didn't like him, no corruption, nothing unConstitutional -- funny I didn't hear them calling that a coup.

Democrats: This battle needs to be about Republican lies about their fiscal responsibility. About their relentless assault on democracy and government competence (which for Americans is mostly about safety and freedom). About their preventing us decade over decade from getting better cheaper universal healthcare even though every other wealthy nation on the planet has done it (and no, it does not have to be single payer). About their corruption and lies and preventing our nation from making the kinds of public investments that made us great in the last century.

Democrats have got to be willing to speak up, and keep speaking up, and take one for the team once in awhile. Democratic VOTERS have got to realize that the key here is them, that each one of them must realize their personal responsibility to get out and vote, and ignore the propaganda that it doesn't count, because then no one votes thinking everyone else will.

I like Pete B, and think he would be a great President in a country in which we were all in it together against the serious global threat from the Russians, and against the existential threat of climate change . The focus of Democrats should be in getting us out of some of the ruts we've been driven into by Republicans, such as pushing back on the Republican lies (and realizing you have to hone your arguments and not be deterred just because Republicans come back with effective lies). Democrats seem to think that they can't push or the Republicans will accuse them of... bias? a coup? Hello! They're going to accuse you of whatever anyway, fight back!!

I wish there were honorable Republicans left to start a third party. That's not going to happen. If Democrats really care about the future of our country and planet, they better start getting serious about getting out the vote, and blowing up some of the arguments and framing built on decades of lies by Republicans.


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:39 am
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:39 am

One thing's for sure: the "impeachment" charade is a huge distraction from us giving fair consideration to candidates like Buttigieg.
It is one of the most cynical things I have seen from the Dems in Congress. It makes them look incredibly childish.
Unfortunately, anyone who's not a Trump-loather can't evaluate the President's performance objectively, and is forced to defend the President against such a brazen, savage, yet futile assault on his office. Grow up, Democrats!!!


What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:43 am
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:43 am

@Yes to Pete.....too bad he can't become the president of Palo Alto because he has no chance of winning the democrat nomination.


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 18, 2019 at 8:14 am
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 18, 2019 at 8:14 am

Actually, the entire purpose of "impeachment" is to generate headlines.
This is the incestuous relationship between legacy mainstream media and the Democrat party -- instead of the news reporting on actions taken, they take specific actions for the news to report on so they can fabricate a mainstream narrative. Its the only way to explain why this impeachment is so irrational. Just go to CNN.com and watch how they're playing it up as a "grave day in history" never mind that the whole thing will blow over in a couple of months. Its the sensationalism that matters.


What Will They Do Next
Registered user
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 18, 2019 at 8:33 am
What Will They Do Next, Old Palo Alto
Registered user
on Dec 18, 2019 at 8:33 am

@ Resident...it's a "grave" day for CNN because the Senate will vote to acquit and CNN's ratings will still remain right below Sesame Street re-runs.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 18, 2019 at 10:07 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 18, 2019 at 10:07 am

All those 'supporters' with posts excusing extortion of a foreign country to interfere in American elections form yesterday! And so few posts left - who didn't see that coming?

> Actually, the entire purpose of "impeachment" is to generate headlines.

lmftfy:

Actually, the entire purpose of "impeachment" is to protect The Constitution and American democracy.


CrescentParkAnon.
Crescent Park
on Dec 18, 2019 at 10:08 am
CrescentParkAnon., Crescent Park
on Dec 18, 2019 at 10:08 am

> Pete Buttigieg says democracy must be a value, not just a system

To be blunt ... a nothing candidate, with lots of money behind him, but really nothing new to say.


musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 18, 2019 at 1:32 pm
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 18, 2019 at 1:32 pm

"I thought volunteers worked without being paid." Yeah, that looked odd to me also, but realized that I too volunteered for my job. I was not conscripted.


Christian for truth and democracy
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Christian for truth and democracy, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2019 at 5:59 pm

"One thing's for sure: the "impeachment" charade is a huge distraction from us giving fair consideration to candidates like Buttigieg.
It is one of the most cynical things I have seen from the Dems in Congress. It makes them look incredibly childish.
Unfortunately, anyone who's not a Trump-loather can't evaluate the President's performance objectively, and is forced to defend the President against such a brazen, savage, yet futile assault on his office. Grow up, Democrats!!!"

Like you would really consider a candidate like Buttigieg (you pretending to be a Democrat in your post, speaking of cynical, which this vote was definitely not since the Democrats have no leverage to do anything except get Republicans twisting themselves into pretzels to lie on the record and support a really questionable immoral character.)

The impeachment vote is going to come back to haunt every last Republican in the country in their elections, like the vote for the war in Iraq did only worse. Because now anything they say will be held up against this guy's behavior for as long as he's in power. Good luck with that.

Republicans were looking at future elections, too, quoting the Bible in twisted ways. That will come back to haunt them, too, if rightwing Christians decide to open their Bibles or the media decide to report on any of the majority of Christians who are not rightwing white evangelical voters.


Enough with name calling and insults
another community
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Enough with name calling and insults, another community
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I am confused, some here are blaming Buttigieg for being smart, polished, articulate and thoughful? Are we to assume that being coarse and bombastic is is preferable? Why? Let's face it, if #45 was your neighbor, you would give him a very wide berth. He is an unpleasant self-centered person, nobody has admitted to acctually being his 'friend'. I will take smart and polished over crude and self centered any day. #45's list of bombastic comments is long and very disturbing. The people who support him remind me of the guys who cheered on the 'crazy' frat brother, doing outrageous things for attention but at the end of the day, they were laughing behind his back. How did a C-List reality TV star end up destroying the GOP?


Enough with name calling and insults
another community
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:34 pm
Enough with name calling and insults, another community
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:34 pm

I am confused, some here are blaming Buttigieg for being smart, polished, articulate and thoughful? Are we to assume that being coarse and bombastic is is preferable? Why? Let's face it, if number 45 was your neighbor, you would give him a very wide berth. He is an unpleasant self-centered person, nobody has admitted to acctually being his 'friend'. I will take smart and polished over crude and self centered any day. Number 45's list of bombastic comments is long and very disturbing. The people who support him remind me of the guys who cheered on the 'crazy' frat brother, doing outrageous things for attention but at the end of the day, they were laughing behind his back. How did a C-List reality TV star end up destroying the GOP?


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 19, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 19, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Posted by Christian for truth and democracy, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood

>>> "One thing's for sure: the "impeachment" charade is a huge distraction from us giving fair consideration to candidates like Buttigieg.

Agreed. This thread is/was about Buttigieg.

>> It is one of the most cynical things I have seen from the Dems in Congress. It makes them look incredibly childish.
>> Unfortunately, anyone who's not a Trump-loather can't evaluate the President's performance objectively, and is forced to defend the President against such a brazen, savage, yet futile assault on his office. Grow up, Democrats!!!"

Once again, you seem to think that people evaluating Trump's performance have no direct information about him. The reality is just the opposite: he sounds so much more reasonable when other people describe him. But, if you actually listen to Trump himself directly, this is what you get: Web Link You don't need to listen to some pundit to understand exactly what Donald Trump is about.




I didn't know that
Menlo Park
on Dec 20, 2019 at 2:20 pm
I didn't know that, Menlo Park
on Dec 20, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Anon:

Which states are 'over-represented in the electoral college'?


musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 20, 2019 at 4:09 pm
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 20, 2019 at 4:09 pm

^ ... the same states that are over-represented in the United States Senate.

Can't abolish the electoral college without the Senate close behind.


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Posted by I didn't know that, a resident of Menlo Park

>> Which states are 'over-represented in the electoral college'?

I have to assume that you know exactly what I'm talking about, but, sure-- start at the bottom, population-wise: Wyoming.

"For example, in 2008, on average a state is awarded one electoral vote for every 565,166 people. However, Wyoming has three electoral votes and only 532,668 citizens (as of 2008 estimates). As a result each of Wyoming's three electoral votes corresponds to 177,556 people. Understood in one way, these people have 3.18 times as much clout in the Electoral College as an average American," Web Link

Of course you know this-- the 2016 Trump election strategy was based on finding a winning combination of states that could give an electoral college victory while losing the popular vote -- by leveraging states with a majority of "racial resentment" voters. The strategy worked. It could work again. This article is locked, but, the Abstract sums up the content: Web Link


Ref
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Ref, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

@Anon,

We live in a republic, which unlike a democracy, protects minorities from the tyranny of the majority. The electoral college is one small way our republic protects political minorities from the tyranny of the majority.

Do you believe the government should protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority?


Ref
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Ref, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:22 pm

@Anon,

Still waiting for you to explain how Hillary Clinton could win a race that nobody ran.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:53 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 20, 2019 at 9:53 pm

"protects minorities from the tyranny of the majority"

Who protects the majority from the tyranny of the minority?

One person - one vote.


Hank Lawrence
Menlo Park
on Dec 20, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Hank Lawrence, Menlo Park
on Dec 20, 2019 at 11:58 pm

The Electoral College is not going anywhere.

The U.S. Constitution Article I, Section 10, Clause 3 states:

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Compacts require the approval of Congress and Article `1 defines Congress as both the House and Senate. And while it is conceivable it could pass the House it would be DOA in the Senate where 33 states would suffer and only 17 states would benefit. States like Biden's Delaware and Bernie's Vermont would have their presidential voting power cut by 2/3.

Also Buttigieg refers to our country as a Democracy. IT isn't. It is a Republic. We have Senators and Congresspeople representing our interests.


Resident
Midtown
on Dec 21, 2019 at 5:01 am
Resident, Midtown
on Dec 21, 2019 at 5:01 am

@facts vs. opinions

The majority, by nature, is stupid. They parrot one another with lines like "one person one vote" and "orange man bad". There is a lack of independent thought. I am always more convinced when I hear an original argument.
Majority is dangerous. Do you want mob rule? The country is too big to have that.
2016 was a miracle. Thank God for the electoral college.


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:17 am
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:17 am

Posted by Ref, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood

>> @Anon, Still waiting for you to explain how Hillary Clinton could win a race that nobody ran.

I was busy. "Living." But, I did answer your question. I get it. You are happy that people from Wyoming are over-represented. Yes, that is built into the Constitution as it exists today. I hope the Constitution can survive the onslaught by Donald Trump, who loathes the Constitution, and especially the Bill of Rights, and tells us all so every day.

"“A lady asked Dr. Franklin Well Doctor what have we got a republic or a monarchy. A republic replied the Doctor if you can keep it.” McHenry added a footnote to the text: “The lady here alluded to was Mrs. Powel of Philad[elphi]a.”"

Web Link


I didn't know that
Menlo Park
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:38 am
I didn't know that, Menlo Park
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:38 am

Thank you for your explanation ANON.

Here is another perspective:

Web Link


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:50 am
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 21, 2019 at 9:50 am

Posted by I didn't know that, a resident of Menlo Park

>> Here is another perspective: (Web Link)

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 21, 2019 at 10:01 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 21, 2019 at 10:01 am

>The majority, by nature, is stupid. They parrot one another with lines like "one person one vote" and "orange man bad". There is a lack of independent thought.


Your "independent thought" is that the majority is stupid? And you don't believe in "one person one vote".

Okay.

Makes sense that you believe Russia's inference in "2016 was a miracle." That's why you defend Trump's extortion to sway the 2020 election.

One notes the only politicians to win the electoral college in modern times while losing the majority vote are republicans. Maybe a party that can't win the popular vote of real Americans is the party of @resident's "stupid".


musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 21, 2019 at 2:28 pm
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 21, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Should 2020 be a popularity contest?


CrescentParkAnon.
Crescent Park
on Dec 22, 2019 at 1:29 am
CrescentParkAnon., Crescent Park
on Dec 22, 2019 at 1:29 am

> Majority is dangerous. Do you want mob rule? The country is too big to have that.

That was the thought back when few knew how to read or write, and when there were no national newspapers. It continued until we hit the early 1900's and realized the rich were abusing the system, killing people and taking everything - and then it was stopped and fixed by Roosevelt. Then over time the same people broke the bounds that held their power in check and have taken over most of the government, and industry and media.

Democracy is certainly flawed, and the so-called mob is only the mob because they have had everything around them stolen and used for profit that they have been kept away from. Elites always favor themselves and that means over time they set everything up so they get everything and regular citizens lose everything, like a game of Monopoly. It is an unavoidable law of the universe.

Capitalism cannot work without democracy.
Socialism = Capitalism + Democracy
Fascism = Capitalism - Democracy

Treat people bad, steal from them, abuse them, rig the system to disenfranchise them ... even removing their right to vote ... Republicans would not have to do that if they were governing competently, but they are governing with corruption, and it has reached via money into the government and corrupted Washington.

We either make democracy work, and we can still protect the rich. It is so foolish to hear how we are punishing the rich by asking them to pay taxes, but nothing is said when most millionaires and rich people pay taxes at a lesser rate than working people ... we never say how we are punishing most Americans for not being super-rich or having the wrong parents.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 22, 2019 at 10:32 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 22, 2019 at 10:32 am

@cpa - great post.

I would have responded differently, and much less cogent.

----


> Should 2020 be a popularity contest?

Every *DAY* is a popularity contest in IMPOTUS's mind, our narcissist in chief. Behold his incessant need to babble in front of large crowds to assuage his ego, even months after his inauguration (and don't get him started on crowd size!)

Worse, his declining mental state becomes more obvious than ever as he forces himself to perform in his beauty pageant of one. Actual transcript from his last ego-stroking:


---

Trump:
"Sinks, uh, showers, all of this stuff, I did a lot of it. No water comes out. You have areas where there’s so much water you don’t know what to do with it. You turn on the shower, you’re not allowed to have any water anymore. I mean, we do a lot of it. Uh, dishwashers. You did the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it? Boom, there’d be like an explosion, five minutes later, you open it, the steam pours out, the dishes. Now you press it 12 times. Women tell me. Again. You know, they give you four drops of water. And they’re in places where there’s so much water they don’t know what to do with it. So we just came out with a reg on dishwashers. We’re going back to you.

...
Now we’re doing it with a lot of other things. Uh, dishwashers, and uh, you know. I won’t tell you one of the things because every time I tell you they do a big number on it. You know the one I’m talking about, right? Sinks, right? Showers? And what goes with a sink and a shower?

Ten times, right? Ten times. Not me of course, not me, but you. You. But I never mention that. Because one time I mentioned all three. I said, sinks, showers, and toilets. The headline was, ‘Trump with the toilets, toilets.’ That’s all they want. They don’t even mention the, so I didn’t mention that, okay? I go off the record.

But you know what, it’s terrible. You wanna wash your hands, you turn on the sink, no water comes out. So you leave the water, go ten times as long, it’s same thing. You have a shower. Drip. It’s no good for me, for me.

You know, the one thing that came out really good about being in this business, they used to say I wore a (wig) ... "

---


That's the guy with the nuclear football: "the one thing that came out really good about being in this business"


Guadalope
Old Palo Alto
on Dec 22, 2019 at 11:59 am
Guadalope, Old Palo Alto
on Dec 22, 2019 at 11:59 am

I guess Beetlejuice has come to grips with the fact the blacks are not going to vote for him. Jim Clyburn(d) SC has said as much. So I guess he has to tap dance to lure some of the other victim sub-cultures to his side. Didn't work for Beto but hey go for it. He comes across as smug and entitled. I've noticed he has the ability to string words together in a fashion that appears to be pseudo intellectual but if you actually parse his words it's just techno gobbledygook.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 22, 2019 at 12:47 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 22, 2019 at 12:47 pm

> I've noticed he has the ability to string words together in a fashion that appears to be pseudo intellectual but if you actually parse his words it's just techno gobbledygook

whaaaaa????

Your claim came right after a post with *paragraphs* of IMPOTUS's stranger than fiction 'speech'?!? A completely incoherent word salad exceeding even the grand salads of Sarah Palin?

really???

Apparently, da' nile, errrrr, "Guadalope" is more than a river in... Spain.



(yeah, look it up)






musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 22, 2019 at 1:38 pm
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 22, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Are we all entitled to our own narrative? Or just some of us?


Anon
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Anon, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Posted by Guadalope, a resident of Old Palo Alto

>> He comes across as smug and entitled. I've noticed he has the ability to string words together

So, you definitely prefer the candidate who constantly talks down to his audience. "Sad."


Resident 1-Adobe Meadows
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 24, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Resident 1-Adobe Meadows, Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 24, 2019 at 7:36 pm

The underground working the issues on the D side are involved in the US aid and support of Foreign countries. Those are the groups who are first generation American citizens. You can put Jackie Spier in that group -parents from Germany and Armenia. In the current case that is a large number of citizens whose relatives came from former soviet union countries a high number of which who live in Mr. Schiff's congressional district - Burbank, Glendale and Hollywood.

Note that Ukraine and Russia have signed a five year contract for the supply of energy products to Europe. So the US Congress has awarded Ukraine a lot of money which is subsidizing this energy producing venture. And Germany is one of the leading countries who is in support of a bigger pipeline. That is how Russia makes money and is controlling the European countries.

That is a big issue and your current crop of D candidates are unable or do not address this situation. And any attempt to question how Hunter got into this mix is off limits? It is the government's version of the emoluments clause.


Mark Gras
Community Center
on Dec 24, 2019 at 8:16 pm
Mark Gras, Community Center
on Dec 24, 2019 at 8:16 pm

"that is a large number of citizens whose relatives came from former soviet union countries a high number of which who live in Mr. Schiff's congressional district"

Same with Devin Nunes district - Armenians, etc...

That is a batspit crazy theory.


"your current crop of D candidates "

The R nominee's in bed with Putin. What's your point?


Merry Christmas, y'all.


Liv
Professorville
on Dec 25, 2019 at 10:19 am
Liv, Professorville
on Dec 25, 2019 at 10:19 am

"that is a large number of citizens whose relatives came from former soviet union countries a high number of which who live in..."

The White House?

Born in a commie country, under commie rule. Brings her whole family in to the country.

Merry Christmas, Melania. What *is* your point, @resident?

And merry Christmas to you and yours.


Resident 1-Adobe Meadows
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 25, 2019 at 11:48 am
Resident 1-Adobe Meadows, Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 25, 2019 at 11:48 am

Yes - there is a point. All legal pursuits at this point in time are relative to Russia and Ukraine. A high number of State personnel are invested in the continuing support of foreign aid which the congressional leaders approve. You can check out US Foreign Aid in Wikipedia. Get educated on the complexities of these issues. Highly complex when many have relatives who are still located in the Eastern European countries. So go visit Burbank or read up on the congressional district in Wikipedia which provides a breakdown of area. A lot of money is going to this area from the US taxpayer. You are the taxpayer. The current narrative being passed around does not address the realities of the situation. As to the WH and Russia - I remember when HRC talked to Putin to "reset" the relationship. Sorry - you cannot walk away from the past history of the previous government officials. The previous administration was working hard to form a relationship.


Liv
Professorville
on Dec 25, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Liv, Professorville
on Dec 25, 2019 at 12:22 pm

"Get educated on the complexities of these issues."

First reading assignment is the Mueller report, where Russia's interference in the 2016 election is detailed.

I guess knowledge about Burbank would be helpful, but I fail to see how it is of any importance to the main issue - foreign interference in American elections.


Ella Kim
Triple El
on Dec 25, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Ella Kim, Triple El
on Dec 25, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Fantasizing about Schiff instead of defending American elections?

Party before patriotism. How sad.


fair elections
Ventura
on Dec 26, 2019 at 4:04 pm
fair elections, Ventura
on Dec 26, 2019 at 4:04 pm

So shocking that there are so many that nitpick rather than defend our free, fair, Democratic elections.

Why?


Ref
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 26, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Ref, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 26, 2019 at 5:07 pm

How about an election interference treaty with Russia?

Any Russian Federation interference in the 2016 US presidential elections was probably in retaliation for a massive campaign by the CIA and Hillary Clinton's State Department to influence the 2012 Russian presidential elections.

Why are two countries that are nominally democratic interfering in each other's democratic processes?


Liv
Professorville
on Dec 26, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Liv, Professorville
on Dec 26, 2019 at 5:58 pm

”was *probably* in retaliation for a massive campaign by the CIA"

Rationalization in order to defend Russian interference in American elections requires an absurd amount of jumping through hoops!


fro sans
Community Center
on Dec 26, 2019 at 9:03 pm
fro sans, Community Center
on Dec 26, 2019 at 9:03 pm

There will be a reconciliation for those who do not support the Constitution and Democratic free and fair elections.

It has to happen to save America from Putin and mon/oligarchy.


Ref
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 26, 2019 at 11:34 pm
Ref, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 26, 2019 at 11:34 pm

@fro,

What would this "reconciliation" look like? Would it be anything like the cultural revolution in China?


Resident 1-Adobe Meadows
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 27, 2019 at 10:22 am
Resident 1-Adobe Meadows, Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 27, 2019 at 10:22 am

Any time you look at the news now it is about DT withholding aid to Ukraine - which congress approved.
1. Ukraine got their aid - it is next year's money - not this year's money. The argument is irrelevant.
2. Ukraine got aid because as the news says they were being killed by the Russians. That was during the Obama years - now they have a five year contract with Russia to provide energy to all of Europe. Hunter's company is in the energy business - do you think this was all in the background?
3. Yes - there is a point here - US Aid to countries should be reviewed and re-prioritized - we are not suppose to be providing aid to countries to enrich their relationship with Russia. What is Congress thinking?
4. This whole charade is based on a narrative that does not stand up to emerging facts. Russia is taking over Europe with Congresses help. The State Department personnel are all on board with this scheme?
5. Taxpayer money down the drain with their assistance. That is going to stop.
6, Phony narratives tend to explode when the facts start playing out.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:04 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:04 am

Golly, the Putin apologists will lie about ANYTHING to deflect from IMPOTUS's extortion of a foreign country to interfere in our democratic elections!

Cultural revolution in China?

Oiy!



1. Ukraine got their aid

- once Trump's extortion became public he backed off and released the congressional mandated aid. Too late, as facts came out to expose his extortion using our money for personal gain. Trump is IMPEACHED. Call the four witnesses to prove him innocent in the GO-led senate (Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo, Rudy.)

2. Ukraine got aid because as the news says they were being killed by the Russians. That was during the Obama years - now they (blah blah Obama-bad-black-man blah blah)

- bull. Implications that the casualties ceased in 2016 is a LIE Web Link

3. Yes - there is a point here - US Aid to countries should be reviewed and re-prioritized (blah blah I-love-Russia blah don't-defend-NATO-democracies blah blah)

- no, your 'point' is erroneous - it was a bi-partisan decision. Why are you a Russian sympathizer?

4. This whole charade is based on a narrative that does not stand up to emerging facts.

- Scream your lies as loud as you want. The rest of us listen to facts, testimony and reports. You have koolaid from Fox.

5. Taxpayer money down the drain with their assistance. That is going to stop.

- are you now talking about the $340 million in tax money spent for IMPOTUS to golf every weekend? Forbes: Web Link

6, Phony narratives tend to explode when the facts start playing out.

- which is why you never post links to attempt to substantiate your lies.


May God bless the United States of America and protect us from our foreign adversaries and allow America to prosecute those traitors that helped foreign adversaries interfere in our elections.


Resident 1-Adobe Meadows
Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:10 am
Resident 1-Adobe Meadows, Adobe-Meadow
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:10 am

Just to add another point here - many members of state and federal congress are first generation American citizens whose parents came from very war-torn and problem countries. They are trying to solve their heritage country problems on US dollars and influence. They have a very shaky perception of the US Constitution and democratic process. The State Department has a large contingent of personnel in that category because they speak the language and can travel and converse in the mother tongue. We saw some of those during the investigations. And many can travel on duel citizenship.
Our job is not to throw money at countries that continue to pursue their own goals with US dollars. And our job is not to let all of these individuals tell us what our values are because they want to resolve their mother country problems.
Many locations in the US where such types live - try California for one. The better solutions is for those countries to step up to providing the citizens with what is considered the basic human needs.
How is our governor doing in that category?


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:13 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:13 am

> There will be a reconciliation

No. America must have trials. Open, transparent, fair. No pardoning of those that went against America whether for money or power, or being blackmailed (looking at you, Lindsey.)

It's the Trump way. He didn't want any reconciliation, he wanted to "lock her up".

Goose, met gander.

We starteed with these criminals: (Forbes)

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer, was sentenced in December 2018 to three years of prison for lying to Congress, campaign finance violations and tax evasion, and separately received an additional two months of prison time for lying to Congress about a Moscow Trump Tower deal.

George Papadopoulos, a former Trump foreign policy advisor, was sentenced in September 2018 to 14 days in prison (with a year of supervised release) after pleading guilty to lying to FBI agents about his contacts with Russian intermediaries during the 2016 campaign

Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manager, was found guilty by a Virginia court of tax and bank fraud in August 2018, and in November 2018 voided his plea deal (by lying to investigators) in separate federal charges brought by Mueller; he’s currently serving a combined seven and a half years in prison from both cases.

Rick Gates, a former deputy to Manafort during the Trump campaign, pleaded guilty in February 2018 to charges of conspiracy against the United States and making false statements;... he faces between four to six years in prison,

Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security advisor, pleaded guilty in December 2017 to lying to the FBI


Video of Traitor Flynn leading the GOP sheep in "lock her up" chants is required viewing, now that we know of his criminality.


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:15 am
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 27, 2019 at 11:15 am

> are first generation American citizens whose parents came from very war-torn and problem countries.

You were asked about Melania's influence and her chain migration family above. Did you miss it?


CrescentParkAnon.
Crescent Park
on Dec 28, 2019 at 8:56 am
CrescentParkAnon., Crescent Park
on Dec 28, 2019 at 8:56 am

Good comments facts vs opinions.

One of the main problems is that the bad guys seem to be able to control the narrative by programming the media about what to report on and how. It seems to always be more about protecting the bad guys, than improving the system we have to work for all.

We see it right here on Palo Alto Online in certain blogs that refuse to allow free speech under various editorial claims.

Most of the Progressive candidates on the Democratic side are openly talking about corruption in America, the system being rigged. All I hear from Buttigieg is elegant words talking around the issue, while what I see is Buttigieg getting lots of money simply because he does not address the concerns of citizens. I wonder how and why some of these candidates are even in the race. What citizen groups are demanding more Indiana-like lifestyles in the US? No thank you Mayor Pete.

When we allow a business to operate that is "bad" and then generate capital and expand and spread into other areas and influence politics we see the results of that in massive corruption and inequality that eventually cannot be stopped because of the corrupt political clout behind it, and when they can own or run media sources no one can even report, hear or talk about it.


musical
Palo Verde
on Dec 28, 2019 at 10:45 am
musical, Palo Verde
on Dec 28, 2019 at 10:45 am

"But if I really say it, the radio won't play it, unless I lay it between the lines..."


facts vs opinions
Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 28, 2019 at 12:49 pm
facts vs opinions, Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Dec 28, 2019 at 12:49 pm

> in certain blogs that refuse to allow free speech under various editorial claims.

Some are edited, some are 'portion removed', but comments that fact-check some of the specious claims are just completely disappeared.

Seriously, can you find a corrective comment that gets left up, let alone elicits a 'mea culpa' admission?

No biggie. Just not worth the click, let alone the effort. Any blogger that sources the fringe sites, from felon James O'Keefe to deniers at Principia Scientific isn't worth the read. Odd that it belongs in this publication though.

I just as soon get my dose of daily rwnj views from the source.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.