Arts

'The Cubberley Project' celebrates community voices

New public-art installation on display at Cubberley Community Center

"The Cubberley Project," a temporary audio-visual installation by the Cubberley Artist Studio Program's Martha Sakellariou and writer Jennifer Lee, is currently on display at Cubberley Community Center (4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto). The project, which was the winner of March's "Cubberley Stock" micro-grant event organized by the Palo Alto Public Art Program, features portraits, quotes and stories collected mid-May to early June from 59 members of the Cubberley community representing around 15 campus organizations, according to data from the Palo Alto Public Art Program.

"Cubberley is like home for me. I raised my children here. As a dancer I am grateful every day for this space and I love that it is not posh it's real. It's accessible," states one quote, from Dance Vision's Lisa Navarro.

Sakellariou and Lee created their own homemade recipe of wheat paste, which they used to attach paper photography prints to the exterior walls around the campus (approximately 416 feet of black-and-white images and text were printed). Audio (compiled from 10 hours of interviews, soundscapes and conversations) is installed at three locations and plays through small portable speakers, available through June 21, Monday to Friday 5-7 p.m., and weekends from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The full project is expected to remain on display for several weeks into the summer.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

'The Cubberley Project' celebrates community voices

New public-art installation on display at Cubberley Community Center

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Thu, Jun 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Comments

Gethin
Registered user

Registered user
Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jun 14, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Cool Project., Duveneck/St. Francis
Registered user
on Jun 14, 2019 at 5:25 pm

I was there for an event yesterday and saw parts of this en route to my classroom. It was interesting, but I didn't understand what it was. I'm going back to see more!

Mark Weiss
Registered user
Downtown North
on Jun 15, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Mark Weiss, Downtown North
Registered user
on Jun 15, 2019 at 1:14 pm

This is an aside but I once spoke to Joey Piziali, who owns a gallery, and is part of the triptych of public art on Cali Avenue and was once the fastest player on the Paly football team, to design a Mural on site honoring Bill Green who went to Cubberly was once the fastest man in the world, and then died too young – – there is a bench for him which I hope will be accounted for when we bulldoze the mother. (Slang term for “the whole farrago” but also a reference to Bill’s mother, the writer Loretta Green; besides the current and recent cultural fabric at The Cub, there is a layer of 30 years of community Center /arts activity there and 30 years of the school’s collective culture — all of which should influence the current planning. )

Jon Keeling
Community Center
on Jun 18, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Jon Keeling, Community Center
on Jun 18, 2019 at 4:30 pm
4 people like this

I teach Karate classes at Cubberley and was cleaning up our space near the gyms yesterday when I heard the fire alarm go off. I rushed out to see if it was an actual fire and see how I might be able to help, if it was an actual emergency (it turned out to be a false alarm - but I am trained in emergency services so always ready to help out).

I saw a man hanging out by the artwork along the wall of the Cubberley Project. I stopped to say Hi. And we ended up having a nice, long conversation. He told me that this artwork had saved a life. When I asked him if he wanted to explain further, he told me that he was on his way to the train tracks when he stopped and saw this expression of community. He talked with people there and decided to go on living.

I have done extensive volunteer work in the mental health field (in addition to teaching physical safety and self-defense skills for 30+ years). So we got to talking about what he was going through. I gave him some information about resources and how to reach me if needed. We both agreed that having a community is important and he wants to give back to the community that has helped support him. Adam is a handyman. If anyone wants to give this former homeless man a job, please let me know and I'll see if I can connect you. I could go into more detail regarding our emotional conversation but I don't want to get my keyboard wet...

Cubberley is a Community Center in the true sense of the words. If you haven't been there for a while, please stop by and take a stroll around the place. The Children's Museum & Zoo is there. Lots of options for dance, education, art and more.