Webcast: Increasing affordable housing

Fran Wagstaff, retired president of MidPen Housing, joins Weekly journalists to discuss the various challenges of building affordable housing in Palo Alto. Watch the webcast here.

Webcasts are posted every Friday afternoon on PaloAltoOnline.com, as well as on Palo Alto Online's YouTube channel, youtube.com/paweekly.

Check out previous weeks' episodes in the "Behind the Headlines" archive.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

— Palo Alto Weekly staff

Comments

12 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Mar 24, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Do you plan to devote a full video to presenting the other side? This video only had one person who is an advocate for subsidized housing. This person kept having a sarcastic chuckle for any argument which was against subsidize housing.

17 people like this
Posted by Old Timer
a resident of Professorville
on Mar 24, 2018 at 5:03 pm

The Bay Area has a population in excess of 7 million people, most of whom would love to live in Palo Alto. The only way to make homes in Palo Alto "affordable" for everyone who wants to come is to reduce the number of people who want to come by making Palo Alto as congested and overpopulated as Los Angeles.

That seem to be the goal of the Palo Alto Weekly and our own duplicitous "public servants," and they're rapidly getting their way. I suppose at least no one will envy us then, since we'll all be equally miserable.

Posted by Atherton, CA
a resident of Atherton

on Mar 25, 2018 at 11:12 am

Remember me?
Forgot Password?
Due to violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are only visible to registered users who are logged in. Use the links at the top of the page to Register or Login.

Posted by Robert
a resident of Atherton

on Mar 25, 2018 at 11:20 am

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

3 people like this
Posted by jemaho
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Mar 26, 2018 at 4:08 pm

My thanks and appreciation to Fran Wagstaff for everything she achieved in her career. I agree with everything she said. Affordable housing really is a social justice issue.

4 people like this
Posted by Jemaho
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Dear 'Resident',
I just re-watched the video vis-a-vis your contention that Fran Wagstaff responded with a 'sarcastic chuckle' to any argument against 'subsidize' (sic) housing. I found nothing. As she said, "It's not just the property owners that deserve to gain from the vibrant economy".

5 people like this
Posted by Anon
on Mar 27, 2018 at 4:59 am

I don't blame people who work in Palo Alto for wanting to live here or near here. The real question is why did Palo Alto overbuild office space so much that so many people have to commute into Palo Alto? And, we, the residents, are somehow being blamed for trying to maintain our livability.

Posted by jemaho
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Mar 27, 2018 at 8:28 am

Dear "Anon",

Why do you assume that I am not a resident? I do not only work in Palo Alto (indeed, for the city itself), but I have lived here (or SF), since birth (Stanford) and I have been an adult renter since 1978. Believe me, I have paid the property taxes via high rents for all of those years.

Posted by Anon
on Mar 27, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Posted by jemaho, a resident of Charleston Meadows

Dear "Anon",

>> Why do you assume that I am not a resident?

I don't assume that. ?

>> I do not only work in Palo Alto (indeed, for the city itself), but I have lived here (or SF), since birth (Stanford) and I have been an adult renter since 1978. Believe me, I have paid the property taxes via high rents for all of those years.

I was responding to the general thread of the conversation; I don't think I referenced your residence/status in any way?

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 71 comments | 3,741 views

Global Warming Diet

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 716 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 286 views

Race is tomorrow!

​On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More