Two injured in Embarcadero Road collision

Two transported to hospital for treatment

Two men were injured in a collision on a major thoroughfare shut down for more than an hour in Palo Alto at the height of the evening commute on Tuesday, police said.

Officers responded to the collision at Embarcadero Road and Bryant Street around 5 p.m. An adult driving a sedan was heading west on Embarcadero and struck the pedestrian with a scooter and bicyclist at the intersection, police said.

The injured were conscious and breathing as medics treated them at the scene for injuries not considered life-threatening, police Sgt. Eric Bulatao said. The driver didn't report any injuries.

Embarcadero was shut down in both directions at Bryant due to the collision until about 6:15 p.m., Bulatao said. The intersection is outside Castilleja School, an all-girls school for students in grades 6-12, and near the Old Palo Alto neighborhood.

Palo Alto firefighters were dispatched at 4:59 p.m. to the intersection, where they saw a manual scooter smashed underneath a vehicle and a bicycle missing its front wheel, Battalion Chief Bobby Davis said.

Bystanders attended to the two people injured before the two were transported to Stanford Hospital, according to Davis.

When Bulatao arrived to the scene, he saw the scooter in front of the sedan, which was left with a cracked windshield and minor damage to the hood; the bicycle was nearby.

The sun setting in the west likely played a factor in the collision by creating a glare for the driver, according to Bulatao.

There was no suspicion of DUI or impairment surrounding the collision, Bulatao said. No arrests or citations were issued as of Wednesday morning.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the collision.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

18 people like this
Posted by Joe
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 13, 2018 at 5:50 pm

I was at the incident just after it occurred. It seemed that a west bound vehicle had hit possibly 2 cyclists in the intersection of Bryant and Embarcadero. There were at least 3 people on the ground with bikes strewn around. Terrifying to see. I hope everyone is ok!

One thought about traveling westbound at 5pm this time of year. When we have these sunny, sunny winter days. The sun is extremely low at 5pm and directly facing you as you head west on Embarcadero. It is incredibly difficult to see driving west is what I'm over amplifying!! I mean very difficult. I'm out everyday at this time, collecting kids and going to soccer etc. It is very challenging to say the least. Please try to heighten your awareness of all around you if you find yourself driving in these circumstances. Try not to have any distractions occurring as well, that would compound this even further. There are always cyclists crossing with their light at Bryant (the bike route). It might be that the driver of the car didn't, or couldn't see that the light had changed. Oh, just hope that everyone is ok!!

39 people like this
Posted by parent
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Running a red light because of the sun is BS. If you slow down, you have more time to study the road in front of you and everything becomes much more visible. 25mph is the maximum speed limit. If you cannot drive safely at that speed, then you are required by law to slow down.

Please check the driver's cell phone records. Just saying.

14 people like this
Posted by ConcernedParent
a resident of Community Center
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:41 pm

I just had 15 most horrifying minutes of my life. I could not get a hold of my 11 year old daughter who was biking home from Casti right at the same time. Crazy Embarcadero speeding has to stop. People go easily double of 25 mph right near Bryan and Embarcadero, or any other part on Embarcadero. Where is the speed limit enforcement? My thoughts are with the injured.

9 people like this
Posted by Joe
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:52 pm

I completely agree - if some one, anyone runs a red light, you are endangering the lives of others. That has potentially horrific consequences and is completely unacceptable. My experience on that road, at that time, this week, makes the basic speed law apply, yes. Drive no faster than it is safe. Again, over the past week, I have seen that the sun is an outright hinderance, for any driver (fast or slow). Again, as they head west at that time of day on Embarcadero. ••Drivers, please take that into account as you encounter those circumstances. As well, cyclists, as you start to cross that street, or streets like Embarcadero - take a moments to ensure that drivers are stopping as they should. There is no room for error is all I'm trying to get across here.

13 people like this
Posted by Nancy
on Feb 13, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I think Joe nails it that the sun was the problem here, You could be driving BELOW the speed limit and if you can't see you can't see.

Was the sun "extra strong" today??? It bothered me today driving north at 3pm for 30 minutes heating the side of my face. While exiting SFO at 5:05 pm heading west it was blinding without any relief.

I know about the sun being low in the winter but today it seemed magnified in heat and brightness.

38 people like this
Posted by parent
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:06 pm

The sun is low at 5pm today because of sunset! Sunset happens at different times and in different directions on different days of the year.

The low sun affects different drivers differently because of the shape and tinting of their windshield and sunvisors, the height of the driver, your vision, etc. If you really cannot see, then it is your responsibility to get off of the road and safely stop. Do not keep driving! That is just stupid. Especially in a school zone.

38 people like this
Posted by O'l Nat
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:41 pm

I'm a cyclist and driver. I have begun to factor in a pause after I get the green to give space to the motorists who blow through the beginning of their red, as a survival mechanism. And of course those motorists are travelling at 150%–200% of the posted speed. This is a regional problem—I commute from RWC to South PA, and it's a problem the whole way. The sun is a nice excuse, but the issue is scofflaws rather than the weather.

I would call upon our local police to start paying attention to our intersections and this behavior—all along ECR, but especially at at Page Mill, all along Woodside, clearly Embarcadero. Please keep pedestrians and cyclists safe!

Posted by Merv Griffin
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Lot of bad drivers in Palo Alto. Parking is so terrible at Waverly and University, someone ran a red light just to get a parking spot on Waverly south of University. Blatant run of light. Then a car parked over the line in that parking lot at Hamilton and Waverly, taking up two spots. Police need to patrol that area more.

4 people like this
Posted by Samuel L.
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Samuel L. is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

32 people like this
Posted by Paly Grad
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:55 pm

It may be time for cameras at intersections so that cars that run a red light are recorded and ticketed. This might also help with the speeding problem on Embarcadero Road.

11 people like this
Posted by Palo Alto Native
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Feb 13, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Yes, Paly Grad, I agree it's time for red-light cameras, in fact, a decade past time. Drivers run red lights on Embarcadero Road and Oregon Expressway consistently. All the commuter traffic is making our city dangerous. The worst is Embarcadero/Louis Rd. and Embarcadero/Greer Rd. for running red lights. At least, from what I have witnessed, and I live near those intersections.

16 people like this
Posted by Palo Parent
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Feb 13, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Well, what do you expect with only three "main" ways in or out of Palo Alto with too many cross traffic lights? San Antonio gets backed onto the freeway or past El Camino many times during the day yet new multi-story townhomes go up on either side.
1) San Antonio
2) Embarcadero
3) University

59 people like this
Posted by Relieved
a resident of Menlo Park
on Feb 13, 2018 at 9:23 pm

My husband was the 2nd biker down in the accident. He was waiting behind the scooter and bike that were hit. When he saw the car come barreling down Embarcadero, he slammed on his brakes and fell over, scraping his knee but did not get hit.

Every other car at the intersection had been stopped at the red so whether the sun was an issue, the driver should have been aware that nobody else was moving for a reason. So scary how disassociated people are from their surroundings these days.

I hope the two victims did not suffer serious injuries. The man on the scooter was thrown and the biker was pinned under until he pounded on the car for the driver to back up. Thank goodness emergency response was swift.

33 people like this
Posted by And yet?
on Feb 13, 2018 at 9:24 pm

And yet, even with all the congestion, our wise city council wants to increase housing significantly. All that it will lead to is more congestion, more aggravated drivers, more accidents.

6 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Feb 13, 2018 at 9:45 pm

This is horrific. There are probably many factors that caused this to occur, but in many ways the real problem is crazy commute traffic situations that makes what should be a 15 minute drive in decent traffic, an unsatisfactory twice if not longer time due to congestion. A driver trying to beat a traffic light so as night have to wait for another 3 minutes at another red light is not surprising. In fact the surprising thing is that there are no more accidents because people are just fed up with all the congestion.

Last night at this time we were reading about a car v train collision. Tonight we are reading about car v bikes collision. Thankfully no lives were lost. It begs to ask what traffic collision will we be reading about tomorrow due to frustrated traffic warriors.

27 people like this
Posted by HMMM
on Feb 14, 2018 at 7:34 am

According to the comments, the driver was going too fast, failed to notice other cars were stopped, and may have run a red light. He hit two people, sending them to the hospital. Still "no citations were issued". I hope the police department investigates and issues appropriate citations, at least.

It is time some of these dangerous drivers, the ones making U turns in bad places (Alma), speeding, failing to stop for stop signs, are cited. Drivers have no incentive to receive adequate training and to drive carefully and courteously, because, unless you've had a drink, you are going to get off.

14 people like this
Posted by CL
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:38 am

I agree with all the comments that say: running a red light is not okay and a lot of drivers are just reckless. But please do not only speak to vehicles only. Bicyclists and pedestrians cross on red lights all the time (yes at that intersection too). This morning the bike in front of me on Bryant st heading north (a dad, base on the fact that he had a blue toddler seat attached to his bike) ran Embarcadero on a fully red light. He decided that it was taking too long to turn green for him and decided to cross on red. I feel that everyone: drivers, pedestrians and bikers are constantly braking the rules and of course the ones in more danger during a collision between them are pedestrians and bikers but this doesn’t mean that we should forget how everyone is constantly breaking the rules.

I hope everyone is okay from yesterday’s collision.

13 people like this
Posted by Clearly Driver at fault
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:42 am

Problem Identified and Confirmed! The first hand account from the 2nd biker should go directly to the DA and charges swiftly filed. The civil cases can proceed independently. This person should not be allowed back on our roads.

22 people like this
Posted by Resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:47 am

Yes to red light cameras! I walk and bike most of the week and someone runs a red light every time. These are not questionable violations.. the light is red for some time and then the driver continues into the intersection. Most common at University and Emerson (the pizza my heart intersection).

Like Ol Nat.. I've adjusted and almost always assume someone is going to run through the intersection. Even then, I've had close calls.

A few months ago, a driver ran a red light, had to stop in the intersection because other cars were stopped on the other side of the light, a PA police officer was at front of the intersection perpendicular to the driver,I was walking at the cross walk.. waved and pointed to the officer about what was happening .. no police lights, no action by the officer ...

Where's the basic traffic enforcement in Palo Alto? Do we really have no budget or resources for traffic enforcement; at least add red light cameras to have some consequence.

26 people like this
Posted by parent
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:24 am

Speeding and running red lights go hand in hand. With all the schools and libraries and parks along Embarcadero Road, the city should declare the whole road (from El Camino to Hwy 101) a school zone with double fines and double enforcement. We are just glad that no one was killed this time.

3 people like this
Posted by TorreyaMan
a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:51 am

TorreyaMan is a registered user.

I see no evidence that the driver ran a red light. Respondent #2 above seems to think so. But just a supposition. Regardless, I witnessed a similar accident couple of years ago, driver turning left from Ross to westbound Loma Verde. The sun, indeed, was a (near) killer and cause of the accident.

26 people like this
Posted by OMG, The Sun caused it?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:09 am

The Sun cannot cause an accident. The driver who might have been blinded by the sun DECIDED TO CONTINUE forward regardless of the fact that he could not see what is in front of him. Sane people do not do this as is evidenced by people driving at sunset since there have been cars. I would get the meanest lawyer I could find if I were one of the victims. These are life and death issues.

14 people like this
Posted by Slow down. Driving is privilege, not a right.
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:22 am

Slow down. Driving is privilege, not a right. is a registered user.

Here's the California Vehicle Code on Vehicle Speed--Sun/visibility is NO excuse under the law.

No person shall drive a vehicle...at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

Driving is privilege, not a right. Maiming someone with a car because you were careless is reckless endangerment and killing someone may result in manslaughter charges. Aside from carrying that guilt the rest of your life, do you want to go to jail? Please slow down, be attentive, and obey the law. Your friends and neighbors are out there.

My prayers are with the victims. May they recover quickly and fully.

14 people like this
Posted by People on that street.
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:29 am

People on that street. is a registered user.

My first reaction yesterday was to text a friend whose bike commute route is along Bryant. She goes through that intersection at that time of day, every day. My heart stopped.

Please, drivers, be more careful. There are people out there with you. Just like you, they have families and friends who love and need them. Be mindful that your car has the potential to maim or kill if you are careless. Drive like you care about people. The seconds you shave off your car trip are not worth the lost sleep you will suffer for the rest of your life if you harm someone.

Drive with care.

4 people like this
Posted by Charade
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Have you guys noticed that there are many constructions going on around the local streets in Palo Alto? I have no problem with the speed bumpers. But, why do they build all kinds of islands and "sticking-out" curbs on the narrow streets? What a waste of money! At the intersection of Ross Rd and E Meadow Dr, they are building something like a roundabout. It's ridiculous! The roundabout works on the big intersection. KISS!

12 people like this
Posted by Dorthy
a resident of Menlo Park
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Telling drivers to "be more careful" isn't going to help. I walk everywhere, from Menlo Park to Palo Alto and Stanford. I've had near misses many times, mostly from drivers making right turns and only paying attention to traffic on their left - not paying any attention to the pedestrians/bikes on their right. Many of them yell out their window: "sorry, I didn't see you!" I yell back: "you didn't bother to look!" I agree with O'l NAT above who said that it is imperative for the most vulnerable (pedestrians and bikers) to wait for cars to stop before entering a crosswalk. I'm not victim blaming, but so many drivers are distracted and/or entitled - thinking it's okay for them to run stop signs and red lights. I've seen it SO MANY times in downtown Palo Alto. If pedestrians and bikers want to live, they need to put away their mobile devices and be sure traffic has come to a halt before stepping into a crosswalk. "Stop, look and listen" if you value your life.

Drivers who hit/kill pedestrians often get off without so much as a fine. Happened years ago at almost the same spot on Embarcadero. A woman in an SUV (Toyota Highlander) zoomed across Embarcadero and killed a handicapped person in a wheelchair crossing Cowper in a crosswalk. The driver was not charge for a crime and her identity was never revealed. All she had to say was: "I didn't see her (victim)." All was forgiven. I believe the family of the victim tried to sue the City of Palo Alto and not the driver.

27 people like this
Posted by @Dorothy
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:47 pm

"Telling drivers to "be more careful" isn't going to help. "

I disagree. Telling this driver to be more careful (and do not proceed if you cannot see) would have been a good idea and could have prevented the bodily injuries.

I definitely agree that stiffer punishments for drivers who hit peds or bikers is needed. Punishment beyond simple moving violations. I think that's coming though. I hope it is at least.

20 people like this
Posted by parent
a resident of Monroe Park
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:54 pm

@Dorthy - telling pedestrians to wait for cars in all lanes of a 4 lane street to come to a complete stop before they start to cross the street is dangerous. The pedestrian walk lights at most of the intersections along Embarcadero (and Oregon) are so short that if you do not start walking immediately after the walk signal comes on, there is a good chance the light will turn red before you get to the other side. Yes, pedestrians still have the legal right of way if the started walking on a green light, but many car drivers do not respect that and getting whacked by a car is going to hurt you a lot more than it hurts them. I try to study oncoming traffic before the light turns green and if the car in the first lane is obviously going to run the red light, then I will wait for the next green. Once I'm past the first lane, however, I have to walk as quickly as possible to get to the other side before the light turns red.

5 people like this
Posted by Anon
on Feb 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Posted by OMG, The Sun caused it?, a resident of Adobe-Meadow

>> The Sun cannot cause an accident. The driver who might have been blinded by the sun DECIDED TO CONTINUE forward regardless of the fact that he could not see what is in front of him.

Similarly, on a cold, damp morning, a fogged windshield cannot cause an "accident" either. A driver who proceeds when they can't see where they are going can cause a collision.

7 people like this
Posted by JustMe
on Feb 14, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I have had heated discussions with people about the speed limit on Embarcadero, and those discussions were right here on this site. The gist of their argument was that a speed limit of 25 is stupid, they would never follow it, and anyone that actually drove 25mph was a traffic impediment to be condemned.

My attitude is that people get killed and injured on that road, residential driveways come off it, and anyone who speeds on Embarcadero is stupidly dangerous and should not be driving. I turn on my cruise control at just under the 30mph mark, and that places me at 26 or 27 mph.

I also feel that those people can be stupid if they want to be, but they have no right to demand that I match their stupidity. I won't. I know for sure that a large number of pedestrians in PA can easily be represented by killer lawyers, and I hope some of those join this case.

7 people like this
Posted by Reality Check
on Feb 14, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Reality Check is a registered user.

More traffic, more congestion is actually safer if it results in lower average speeds. Pedestrian and bicyclist's deaths and injuries correlate to hitting vehicle's speed — not motorist frustration. Simple physics, confirmed by decades' worth of empirical data.

Few, if any, collisions are truly "accidents." Accident suggests an air of inevitability, unavoidability. Journalists, public safety officials and citizens should sharpen up their vocabulary, and call them what they are: collisions or crashes.

Poor visibility, whether due to the sun's glare or foggy windows or air, doesn't cause crashes. But drivers who negligently drive faster than they visibility safely allows cause crashes, and should be held fully accountable.

It's insane to think that the sympathetic language and attitudes used by many motorists, here and elsewhere seemingly excuses a motorist recklessly and negligently crashing into other humans or occupied vehicles as long as they were having trouble seeing OK — for whatever reason! "Oh, gee officer, gee family, gee judge, sorry I killed that family in the crosswalk .... but I was having trouble seeing! ,,, Oh, OK, in that case, you're free to go ... but try to be more careful next time!"

36 people like this
Posted by The Embarcadero 25
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 14, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I hereby pledge to drive 25mph and not over on Embarcadero road.
I do not care how close you get on my bumper, I do not care if you think you need to go faster. I cannot hear your horn or see your sneer.

I am now part of The Embarcadero 25. You cannot intimidate me and I am not here to facilitate YOUR speeding ways.
#Grassrootsspeedcontrol

20 people like this
Posted by The Real Threat to Bikes
a resident of Addison School
on Feb 14, 2018 at 3:58 pm

While there are safe car drivers out there, there are also many unsafe, unaware drivers, and yes, they are a threat to bikes and public safety. I use my bike as regular transportation and cycle through Bryant and Embarcadero 3-4 times a week, often with my two young kids in tow. I desperately want safer roads to bike on. Making bike routes safe means ticketing drivers who do not stop at red lights or stop signs (like the red Model X who didn't stop at Bryant and Seale this morning as I cycled on Bryant dragging my Burley trailer). PAPD, please get your act together and ticket drivers who hit bikes and cyclists. Running a red light is at least $350, hitting a cyclist should be at least $1000, not a warning.

3 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:06 pm

[Post removed.]

2 people like this
Posted by JustMe
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Just a thought: Citations were not issued at the accident scene, but that does not mean they won't be issued after investigation.

Another thought: There is no such thing as a fully safe driver. Everyone is a threat, anyone can cause an accident. Fully safe would imply perfection, and that does not happen in humans. However, some drivers are safer than other drivers. Where are you on the spectrum?

6 people like this
Posted by More words
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:16 pm

[Post removed.]

2 people like this
Posted by Evan
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:10 pm

@"And Yet". Please stop. This city needs more housing in downtowns so that people can STOP commuting from all over the goshdarn place. Please stop conflating issues, put down your cell phone while driving, and try walking/biking for a change. It's because of attitudes like this that so many people are forced to drive into Palo Alto.

More housing please.

10 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:39 pm

"This city needs more housing in downtowns so that people can STOP commuting from all over the goshdarn place."

Don't forget that people do not always live in the same town they work in, even if they start out that way. You cannot force them to move when they change jobs. Result: Commuting.

Also, dense housing sited in Crescent Park is within an easy and healthy bike/walk to downtown or Stanford. And there is much, much more underutilized land in Crescent Park than in downtown. So please step up and do your part.

16 people like this
Posted by Kubilay Demir
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 15, 2018 at 1:45 pm

~60 seconds: Savings by driving at the 35-40Mph range on Embarcadero.
~60 seconds: Savings by bagging your groceries.

∞ Priceless: Respecting others' safety and nerves, lower CO2 emissions by just driving at 25Mph.

6 people like this
Posted by @The Embarcadero 25
on Feb 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Hear, hear. I hope the person with license plate "CATS", who was speeding and honking on Embarcadero this morning, hears you as well.

Posted by Hawaiian Bob
on Feb 15, 2018 at 2:24 pm

"~60 seconds: Savings by bagging your groceries."

I dunno, more often it seems like a waste of time. Clerk standing their patiently while customer unfolds bags, puts items in, moves bag to cart. Clerk reminds customer to pay for said items. Customer swipes card. Clerk reminds customer that if they have a chip card, to insert it. Clerk waits patiently doing nothing when he could have been bagging groceries while customer pays...

"~60 seconds: Savings by driving at the 35-40Mph range on Embarcadero."

If 35 gets you through the Middlefield intersection before the light turns red you'll get to T&C more than 60 seconds ahead of the guy going 25. Not that it justifies speeding, but inaccurate claims don't help the cause. Speeding isn't about getting someplace 60 or 300 seconds quicker, it is a about frustrated and angry people driving - which is why it was so absurd for the earlier commenter to claim more traffic helps slow people down.

22 people like this
Posted by I help people slow down
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 15, 2018 at 2:53 pm

I've joined the Embarcadero 25. Please don't tailgate, it makes me go slower

Posted by Resident
on Feb 15, 2018 at 5:00 pm

There is a difference between red light running and speeding. Does it occur to anyone here that the driver could run the red light but still be at the speed limit?

I would like to add that from the injuries and the witness reports above, it seems to me that speed was not excessive even though the red light was ignored. A higher speed would possibly have produced more serious injuries, although I don't have enough information.

2 people like this
Posted by Be Careful What You Wish For
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Feb 15, 2018 at 10:12 pm

For those who want the Red Light Cameras, please do your homework! There are numerous articles, websites and reports about the pros and cons of these devices. Start with the San Mateo County Grand Jury report Web Link, Web Link, Web Link and Web Link. Among the allegations are that the over-priced tickets are large revenue producers for the communities that install them and (mostly) the companies that make the cameras. A large amount of these tickets are for less dangerous offenses like rolling right turns. Some contend that these cameras make intersections more dangerous as some drivers will be more likely to slam on the brakes when confronted with a yellow light thus increasing the likelihood of being rear-ended. Many say that these tickets can be devastating for low-income drivers who can't afford the $400+ fines. Finally, these red-light tickets are clogging up our already over-burdened judicial system. While I strongly believe that some people are driving too fast on Embarcadero, bringing in nanny-state red-light cameras is not the answer! More law enforcement by live traffic officers makes so much more sense. My heart goes out to those injured in these traffic accidents and I hope the powers that be will bring about sensible changes that will prevent such tragedies in the future.

Posted by Anon
on Feb 15, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Posted by Be Careful What You Wish For, a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive

>> For those who want the Red Light Cameras, please do your homework!

I agree that red light cameras are far from ideal, and frequently devolve into unreliable, arbitrary, revenue-based policing. However, we can't seem to afford enough police officers for real enforcement, and, traffic is getting out of control -- I see serious violations every day. Speeding, yes, but, actually driving way too fast for narrow residential streets, driving way too fast for the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists, and seriously running red lights -- I see this most often on El Camino.

Red Light Cameras are basically a proxy -- most of the tickets they generate will be to bad drivers -- but, don't really attack the problem of aggressive driving directly.

Why can't the city afford real traffic enforcement?

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:05 am

Two cars pacing each other at 25 mph side by side in both Embarcadero lanes will find themselves cited for obstructing traffic. It is illegal to take the law into your own hands. Motorists tried this on freeways to block speeding when we had that national 55 mph law.

36 people like this
Posted by The Embarcadero 25
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 16, 2018 at 5:50 am

Um, no, they will NOT write you a ticket if you're driving the speed limit. No such tickets have ever been written on a 25 mhp surface street. That's just wishful thinking from the speeder mentality.

I'm sorry if it upsets you, but I will NOT help you to speed, and as long as I am driving within the speed limit max of 25 mph I will not move out of your way. I am the Embarcadero 25 and I am many.

26 people like this
Posted by Janet
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 16, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I'm disappointed but not surprised by all the excuses people are making for the driver, from the police who were quick to offer a "sun in his eyes" excuse to the "it's so congested with here, it's no wonder drivers run red lights to save a minute."

Sorry, if the driver ran the light so red that he hit not one, but two people in the intersection, there's no excuse. He either was not paying attention, going too fast, or explicitly didn't care that it wasn't his turn in the intersection. And now two people are injured, perhaps permanently.

To all the drivers out there: pay attention, slow down, be patient, drive like your life depends on it. It does. Your car is deadly, to others and yourself. It's not worth it.

To the city: do whatever it takes to slow traffic to 30mph or less, consider red light cameras, "re-educate" or remove police officers who refuse to place blame on drivers that break laws and injure other people in the process.

11 people like this
Posted by Solon
on Feb 20, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Could editor give us update on injuries, helping and names as appropriate for the two victims?

It was heart wrenching

2 people like this
Posted by Concerned and Sad
on Mar 4, 2018 at 3:59 pm

The write up of this accident was written by a person siding with the man who ran a red light and his two people who were nearly out of his lane by the time he hit them. Which means not only did he not see the red light and the fact that two were nearly across the street... but he did not slow nor yield to people in his path as he drove how many miles an hour on a speed limited street? Then, witnesses had to tell him to back up and off one of the victims. That is simply unacceptable behavior and then the article is completely forgiving of him and stated injured were "conscious" ! As if simply being conscious asserts not too badly injured. Never mind it was completely life changing for those hurt. And they will be working quite diligently at recovering for a long long time!

2 people like this
Posted by Sylvia Rodriguez
a resident of College Terrace
on Mar 4, 2018 at 6:57 pm

I live with David, one of the injured biker. He was just about to come home from a bike ride. He waited for the light to turn green, so he could cross the intersection. Once he got a green light he and the other person injured crossed the street. The driver crossed the red light and hit a biker and a pedestrian. The biker than got injured will be disable for at least 3 months. He got broken bones. This is unacceptable, if the driver could not see then he should look at his sorrounding. Why he did not look at his left and right on an intersection. It is a drivers responsibility to make sure no one wasn't crossing the street if he could not see. He damaged the health of two humans that were just crossing a green light. They both have severe injuries. I have the police report and I know how severe their physical condition is.

Opening alert: Dumpling Garden in Mountain View

The Last Straw

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 789 views

Trying to enjoy the routines again
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 338 views

Best Of Palo Alto ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "Best Of Palo Alto" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 28th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 20th issue of the Palo Alto Weekly.

VOTE HERE