News


Former Stanford student gets prison for fatal DUI collision

Zachary Katz to also pay $418,378 restitution to surviving victim

A former Stanford University School of Business graduate student will serve four years and eight months in state prison and must pay one of the injured in a fatal DUI collision more than $400,000 in restitution, a San Mateo County Superior Court judge determined Friday morning.

Zachary Katz, 28, expressed remorse for his actions on Oct. 5, 2013, in which one man was killed and two others were injured after he drove the wrong way down U.S. Highway 101.

A jury convicted him on Nov. 17, 2017, of one count of felony vehicular manslaughter under the influence of alcohol; felony driving under the influence of alcohol causing bodily injury; felony driving with .08 percent or higher blood-alcohol level causing bodily injury; a great bodily injury enhancement; and a multiple-victims allegation, the latter two adding time to a sentence. He faced up to 12 years in state prison, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

California Highway Patrol officers arrested Katz after he drove his Infiniti sedan north onto southbound Highway 101 in South San Francisco for 1.75 miles before striking a Ford Escape SUV taxi head-on at about 3:50 a.m. The cab careened across the roadway and was struck by a Mazda traveling south.

The collision killed taxi passenger Pedro Juan Soldevilla, 62, of Puerto Rico. He was completely ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. A second passenger, Miguel Santiago, was taken to the hospital with major injuries and survived. Neither passenger was wearing a seat belt, according to the CHP. The taxi driver, identified as 31-year-old Azmach Ejersa of Emeryville, was also hospitalized with broken bones. The Mazda driver was uninjured, District Attorney's officials said.

Katz, who attended Stanford at the time, had to be extricated from his car. He was hospitalized with major injuries. Katz had a blood alcohol content of around 0.15 to 0.16, the CHP said at the time. A blood test found a 0.13 percent blood alcohol reading at the hospital two hours later, according to District Attorney's officials.

Judge Leland Davis will determine at a later date how much restitution Katz must pay to Soldevilla's family and the other victims. Davis ordered Katz to pay Santiago $418,378 in restitution, Wagstaffe said.

After the sentencing, Katz's attorney asked if his client could spend five minutes with his family before being remanded into custody. Katz has been out on $250,000 bail since the collision. Davis granted the request and Katz spent about 10 minutes with his parents, Wagstaffe said.

Wagstaffe said there were "no winners" in the case, which he said was tragic for all involved.

The case, which took four years to resolve, was fraught with twists and turns as Katz's defense tried to knock the blood evidence out of court. The defense had argued that his blood was drawn involuntarily.

On Oct. 27, 2015, San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Barbara Mallach ruled the blood-draw results were not admissible because the CHP officer did not read Katz the implied-consent law prior to taking the blood sample. Mallach concluded that the blood draw was involuntary and violated Katz's Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure. The judge acknowledged at the time that no appellate case existed holding that reading the defendant his rights was required to draw the blood. Prosecutors filed an appeal on Nov. 24, 2015.

The California First District Court of Appeal reinstated the blood evidence on March 29, 2016. The state Supreme Court agreed with the appeals court on June 15, 2016, refusing to hear the case.

That ruling came just days before a June 23, 2016, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in a separate case that blood draws require a warrant because they are more invasive than breathalyzer tests.

The case was again argued in the state appeals court in November 2016, but the court found in January 2017 that the U.S. Supreme Court ruling did not apply to the inevitable discovery doctrine on which Katz's appeal was based. The state Supreme Court again declined to hear the case in March. The appeals court's decision therefore became final in April 2017.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

45 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Professorville
on Jan 26, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Driving the wrong way on a freeway while drunk is no "accident". Shame on the newspaper for saying this 3 different times in this article.

5 years for felony manslaughter is way too light a sentence. Is this because newspapers are brainwashing the public into thinking violent crimes like this are accidents?


26 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Professorville
on Jan 26, 2018 at 9:51 pm

The Mercury-News version of this news report contains the same material, except that they never call the crime an accident. This sort of media bias is not the norm, at least not in modern journalism: Web Link


18 people like this
Posted by charles reilly
a resident of another community
on Jan 28, 2018 at 8:23 am

Longer jail time for DUI's will accomplish NOTHING, except create more prison costs. Being in jail for 10 years is not twice as good as 5. Alcoholism is a serious PUBLIC HEALTH issue; treatment is expensive and hard to even find. Let's treat the cause, not the disease.


24 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2018 at 8:52 am

Posted by resident, a resident of Professorville

>> Driving the wrong way on a freeway while drunk is no "accident". Shame on the newspaper for saying this 3 different times in this article.

I kind of agree with you, but, it is a common use of the word "accident". "Accident" has many common meanings, and the meanings don't necessarily coincide with legal responsibility. So, I agree with you that for this usage, the word should be avoided, but, instead of going ballistic, how about a helpful suggestion for the copywriter, such as, "Please use the word 'collision' rather than 'accident' in cases like this."

>> 5 years for felony manslaughter is way too light a sentence.

No sentence is ever long enough to compensate for the loss of a loved one. But, society also has an interest in rehabilitating criminals. In my opinion, we as a society need to try much harder to rehabilitate most criminals. (There do seem to be some who can't be rehabilitated, although it isn't that simple to figure out who they are sometimes.)

>> Is this because newspapers are brainwashing the public into thinking violent crimes like this are accidents?

This sentence does not enhance your argument.


25 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Professorville
on Jan 28, 2018 at 9:44 am

Years ago, the Associated Press published its style guide saying that journalists should not use the term "accident" when there is any claim or proof of negligence. In this case, negligence has been proven in court so there is no doubt. Professional journalist all know this. The ones that ignore the styleguide are just sloppy or have ulterior motives.

Here is a blog from the Associated Press: Web Link


4 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2018 at 11:05 am

Posted by resident, a resident of Professorville:

>> Years ago,

Well, less than two -years ago-. April 2, 2016, it appears.

Web Link

It took two decades to get this changed.

>> the Associated Press published its style guide saying that journalists should not use the term "accident" when there is any claim or proof of negligence. In this case, negligence has been proven in court so there is no doubt.

Yes, the AP finally caught up. AP formerly thought "crash" was too colloquial or undignified I guess, and, it is still ambivalent about it. It has been neutral for a long time; "accident" is just a $10 word anyway. So is "collision", but, it avoids the other connotations of "accident". For my money, the world "accident" should be reserved for certain outcomes of what used to be called "an act of god". "Crash" used to be considered colloquial, but is now considered standard English.

Web Link

Web Link

>> Professional journalist all know this.

But, please don't dis Palo Alto Online copywriters for following the old convention. BTW, it looks like AP likes the word "Stylebook" now for some reason.

Web Link

>> The ones that ignore the styleguide are just sloppy

Another dis?

>> or have ulterior motives.

Please don't accuse people without evidence. They were just following the old convention.

>> Here is a blog from the Associated Press: Web Link

I applaud the successful campaign of NHTSA to change this usage:

Web Link


21 people like this
Posted by Jess
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Blood draw for DUI should not need approval from anyone! A DUI is a crime. What a waste of time and money to have to appeal it!


11 people like this
Posted by Jess
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm

"Zachary Katz, 28, expressed remorse for his actions on Oct. 5, 2013, in which one man was killed and two others were injured after he drove the wrong way down U.S. Highway 101."

Yes, four years later for an unintended killing, most people would express remorse. He'll probably just go to a low security "prison", much like a dorm. At least his record is stained.


9 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 29, 2018 at 1:13 am

Two drinks do not make someone an alcoholic! Combination of medical issues, poisonous levels of methanol and possibly drugged (roofied) for a slight build man can do harm yes, but put the facts together...this could be you, or someone you care about! No not a 220lb chugging down a few beers with the intention of drinking and driving. Enuf with the hatred of opinions... people are so quick to
throw stones

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven…” – Luke 6:37


27 people like this
Posted by Todd
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:32 am

Four years to sentencing. Appeals galore. One spoiled brat and menace to society.


37 people like this
Posted by Sue Dremann
Palo Alto Weekly staff writer
on Jan 29, 2018 at 9:37 am

Sue Dremann is a registered user.

To those persons who have brought up the use of "accident" in my story:

Thank you for pointing out the change in AP style, which I was not aware had changed. There was no bias intended, and I have no ulterior motive.


9 people like this
Posted by Sue Dremann
Palo Alto Weekly staff writer
on Jan 29, 2018 at 9:38 am

Sue Dremann is a registered user.

I forgot to mention that the story has been changed to reflect AP style.


11 people like this
Posted by Punishment
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2018 at 10:42 am

Good thing the sentence wasn't by Judge Persky.


24 people like this
Posted by MyOpinion
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2018 at 11:04 am

Now he expresses remorse, but clearly tried to weasel his way out of taking responsibility. "The case, which took four years to resolve, was fraught with twists and turns as Katz's defense tried to knock the blood evidence out of court. The defense had argued that his blood was drawn involuntarily."

He killed a person after driving nearly 2 miles in the wrong direction on 101, yet tries to get off on a technicality? Don't they teach ethics at Stanford B School, or did he think his Stanford credential elevated him about your typical DUI criminal?



14 people like this
Posted by Charade
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jan 29, 2018 at 1:58 pm

I am wondering what the sentence would be if this was a black guy who is not from Stanford and can't afford a lawyer...... And how long the case would have last......


12 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 29, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Why do you all seem so angry and bitter? Is it based on jeolousy for his brilliance and success as you all glory in his spiral down the rabbit hole? Still clueless to the facts. #fakenews. A spoiled young man does not pay his way through college and send money home to their family, a family in the midst of a breakdown and unable to make ends meet. No not a spoiled kid from Long Island, New York! Have you seen his home? Don’t categorize people. It’s unfortunately mis-information brought about by media. A spoiled young man who is a “drunk” or a “criminal” does not work so hard to achieve Valedictorian, offers from Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard with many scholarships! Zach worked his way through school, not like others trying to take advantage of the system. This is not a drunk! Something went very wrong that night that we may never have answers to. Nobody wins, but two drinks does not make someone blank out, otherwise we’d all be blanking out on every street corner! Ask yourself rather what happened here, something went very wrong and horrifically a life was lost. “Todd” you appear very opinionated , do you know him? Anger is ugly, all it does is show the essence of a soul. “Jess” State prison is not a playground! Once again it saddens me that people want to kick a dog when their down. Negativity does not serve anyone well. Criminal you say, nah we all are vulnerable to the unknown of life. #prayers for Zach


17 people like this
Posted by Moderation
a resident of Barron Park
on Jan 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm

@Anon
"Combination of medical issues, poisonous levels of methanol and possibly drugged (roofied)"

If that was his defense: "his drink was spiked" - then why did he try to have the Blood Alcohol test and the fact that he was drinking in a public place (where his drink could be manipulated by others without his knowledge) omitted from the trial ?

It seems to me you whole defense of him is that he drank a small amount, but unbeknownst to him, someone put dangerous levels of methanol and "roofie" into his drink. This would be detected (proven) by his blood alcohol results.

As for the mysterious blackout due to a poorly understood medical condition ... well, it seems your argument relies on the alcohol, methanol or "roofie" to set that rare and low probability reaction off. So once again, why try to omit from trial the very evidence that you say explains his behavior (makes him an accidental consequent cause of the collision) that night. ?


15 people like this
Posted by Moderation
a resident of Barron Park
on Jan 29, 2018 at 3:35 pm

The proper purpose of prison for this type of crime is not primarily to punish the offender. It is primarily to separate the offender from society because the offender presents an unacceptable risk to the rest of society.

I do not want myself or my family, to be exposed to his demonstrated poor judgement or if Anon is correct, his "medical condition" induced blackouts. His decisions, behavior, or condition have killed once, and I do not want to be exposed to the risk that he will do that same thing again. He is dangerous and should be locked away to protect society.


18 people like this
Posted by A
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I really hope that Zachary Katz learns something from his time in prison. Everyone that is telling him how unique he is and how special he is really doing him a disservice. There are many people with a Harvard degree, myself included, that doesn't mean we should be able to commit wrongdoings and escape unpunished. Before anon asks yes I actually do know this kid, and I'm not jealous. If he really did have mental health issues it was on him and his family to get help for those. Treatment options do exist. I can attest that Harvard has some very fine therapists on staff. At the end of the day he got behind the wheel while intoxicated and only now is taking some responsibility so he can avoid a harsher prison sentence. The travesty here is not the loss of his brilliant mind and what he could contribute to society, but that someone out there is without their dad/husband, and someone else is injured as a result of Katz's actions.


1 person likes this
Posted by Anony
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:13 pm

“Moderator” key word is combination of medical issues etc. I think you and your family should lock yourself up in your home since someone like him can be lurking around the streets! Roofied drinks “if” that occurred do NOT show up in your blood. Please do some homework before your cast stones! Best of luck in your ventures out on the streets! PS I wonder who is actually more of a danger to society. God Bless


5 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:26 pm

(A couple of folks post as "Anon" here.)

@ Anon from Ventura: You seem to conjecture that the defendant was somehow drugged without his knowledge. It certainly seems to happen. How does that show up in a blood test? How does that conjecture mesh with his defense strategy? What evidence is there that this was anything more than ordinary drinking of ethanol, gone awry?


2 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:26 pm

“A” nice that you know this “ kid” glad you went to Harvard. I imagine that Epilepsy would be a familiar condition to you then! If not you can inform yourself on how it can present itself, especially on how it can go mis-diagnosed and be effected by outside variables. Yes many professionals got it wrong! There but through the grace of god go I. Best of luck!


I will no longer reply to any comments.


1 person likes this
Posted by Moderation
a resident of Barron Park
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm

@Anony

I refer to the specific felon convicted on multiple counts described in this article. Your generalization to broad populace is hyperbole - I don't see your logic. Your final reference to your particular superstition is non sequitur. Albeit, live in the peace you seek, and save those you can.


Like this comment
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Funny how an informed discussion was removed ! So much for freedom of speech! Whatever...ignorance is bliss


2 people like this
Posted by A
a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Anon from Ventura: Yes I'm aware of how epilepsy works. As someone that has multiple chronic health conditions I understand how hard it can be to have something be taken seriously and diagnosed correctly. However I abstain from alcohol, and seek out the care I need, even if it takes multiple specialist visits, and pushing doctors for help.

Honestly just out of curiosity what sort of resolution would have been fair to you here? You seem to have a lot of feelings on this, so I'd like to know what you think, if you'd like to share.


15 people like this
Posted by bystander
a resident of Woodside
on Jan 30, 2018 at 12:44 am

Just wanted to offer a few facts that were missed. Zach stated in court that he parked in the castro, went out for 2 drinks, then went to a pop up event in SOMA where he started to have a 3rd drink around 12:30am (the one he thinks was spiked). Then he remembers waking up in his car sideways. He stated that for the first 15 months after the crash he thought he was "roofied." There was a drug screen done at the hospital that did not find any drugs (the usual date rape drugs would show up.) The most concerning thing was that Zach admitted he never contacted his friends that he was with that night to see what happened. Wouldn't you want to know what your friends saw if you thought you were date raped?

As for the methanol, he had a TRACE amount in his system that is seen sometimes with cheap alcohol. The level of methanol was well below the threshold for causing symptoms. Zach had to get himself from SOMA back to his car in the castro, drive down to at least poplar ave and then turn around and head the wrong way on 101 driving almost 10 miles the wrong way before hitting the cab. Several calls to 911 were made from drivers that swerved out of the way and a CHP patrol car nearly missed him as they were responding to another crash. I have no doubt that Zach has epilepsy and shame on all his psych docs for never getting a neurology consult for a kid with black out episodes. I just think its too far fetched that he was having a seizure for that long of a period and able to drive that far. Zach can't remember what happened from about 12:30 until the crash at 3:49. But He still had 4 drinks in his system after 6 am ( blood alcohol 0.13= 4 drinks for a man of his size). So in those missing hours he was drinking several more drinks.

I feel horrible for the victims. $400k will not even cover their hospital bill, I know this b/c I have a family member that went to SFGH after a accident and was not even as severely hurt. Also, the cab driver was had a broken pelvis which no one mentioned, to this day he can only stand a few minutes at a time. Zach had a broken arm.

Zach did make one horrible decision and I pray I will never wake up to realize that I made the same one no matter what the circumstance.


4 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 30, 2018 at 7:06 am

Bystander your wrong with your facts! Sorry to disappoint. 20x the legal limit is not “trace” amounts. Read up on epilepsy, and since it appears you are not familiar with his individual medical condition it behooves me to say that is irresponsible journalism. Additionally, drugs to roofie someone are not detectable but only within the first few hours into your blood, again be informed. If you know how many drinks he had I question we’re you in the courtroom or were you with him? I would imagine if you saw his actions and did nothing to speak up or stop it then that too makes you someone that should have been spoken too! Making one just as guilty!! FYI


5 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 30, 2018 at 11:19 am

Posted by Anon, a resident of Ventura

(several Anons in this thread it seems)

@Anon from Ventura:

>> Bystander your wrong with your facts! Sorry to disappoint. 20x the legal limit is not “trace” amounts. Read up on epilepsy, and since it appears you are not familiar with his individual medical condition

You and several posters apparently have alluded to information, e.g., regarding the defendant's "medical condition", or other factors known to the public that were not, however, in the original article. Most of us don't know what it is you are hinting about. Care to enlighten us? Did any of this other information make it into the court case? If not, why not?

Is there any information known to the public that contradicts what appears to be an obvious case of a guy driving to SF, drinking way too much, crashing his car into a taxi, and killing a taxi passenger? Sounds straightforward.


1 person likes this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Jan 30, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Since the media was not in the courtroom to my knowledge, it’s all conjecture. I am not eluding to anything, I just have the information that others may not and I will keep that confidential. All I will say is that what appears straight forward is not. The jury got it wrong because there was a death and they could not get passed it, rather thus unable to comprehend the scientific information shared by many experts. Science is science, and science is fact! Again horrific that a life was lost, but yes accidents can happen. He did not go out that night with the intent to kill anyone, and furthermore did not intend to drive! Carrying an overnight bag in your car with vital items can reasonably prove that. Additionally, you should do some research on Methanol in alcohol, not ethanol. Methanol will cause major problems in the brain and can set off other dormant conditions. It is in fact a poison! Ignorantly referred to the length of a seizure based again on the condition and science that a seizure can last for hours upon hours causing all kinds of symptoms and behaviors. Please also keep in mind that epilepsy can present in many classifications with each individual, and with a variety of reactions. No this is not a made up defense he has epilepsy and reasons for going silent we’re discussed in the trial, unfortunately it was not reported. While doing your research you will find Methanol is becoming quite rampant in Mexico causing death to young people on vacation from the USA. This is a way to turn quick profits and this liquor is crossing the border frequently. Fact based on the science of his blood is that there was 20x the normal level! I realize I will not be able to share wisdom with most, but knowledge is power, rather then pass judgement I would suggest one be informed! People have hate in their soul that’s actually sadder to me... I appreciate your sincere interest in understanding fact vs fiction compared to those just quick to destroy him. People who are mean spirited who probably are missing love in their life and god, they take the time to just to spue hate. Freedom of speech is our right but make informed comments. This could be you!


8 people like this
Posted by Bystander
a resident of Woodside
on Feb 2, 2018 at 2:34 am

Actually press were allowed in the courtroom but not with cameras. Lots of people can just come and go during the trial. I really am just trying to get the facts out there Anon and am wondering if you are Zach's lawyer?

Does Zach have epilepsy, of course. Seizures can also last for several hours. But there is no record of anyone getting into their car and start driving, navigating multiple roads and highways for at least 30 minutes while having a seizure. I am sure Zach never intended to drink and drive, but for whatever reason, he did. But I think the Judge took into account that he is not a career criminal and gave him a light sentence.

ALso, there is no normal level of methanol, its a poison like you said. But I heard from someone in the room that the level where you would exhibit symptoms, was much higher than what Zach had in his system.


2 people like this
Posted by Foz
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Feb 3, 2018 at 4:52 pm

As a former friend and neighbor, I can tell you that nobody here believes a word of your story. I know the story and I have known Zachary since we were young. The media and the DA's office is asking you to believe that Zachary made a dreadful mistake the night of his accident. Yes, it was an accident but it was not a bad decision or mistake that Zachary made. Zachary was the most trustworthy, responsible and level headed kid I've every known. He put himself through school by working hard and getting grants and many scholarships. His parents both worked hard and everything Zach had was earned. His bedroom at home was basically wall papered with awards and he was really proud of them. Many of his awards were because of his community service and one of them was from the Bar Association in our county for his activism in Students Against Drunk Driving. He was the President of that club. Nobody knows any of that because Zachary was very humble.
[Portion removed.] He was also dosed with methanol in whatever he drank. That's an illegal type of alcohol not meant for drinking. He was also diagnosed with a type of epilepsy. Zach would never drive drunk...... never. To say that he was not remorseful is ridiculous. How could anyone know what he was feeling inside while he was here in NY? [Pirtion removed.] Yes, this was an accident and Zachary Katz was badly injured physically and mentally. [Portion removed.]


Like this comment
Posted by Mi
a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Feb 3, 2018 at 5:16 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]


9 people like this
Posted by BS
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 3, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Drinking methanol leads to blindness; drinking ethanol (what Zachary did) leads to intoxication and poor judgement.


Like this comment
Posted by Maurice
a resident of Midtown
on Feb 4, 2018 at 1:10 am

"Alcoholism is a serious PUBLIC HEALTH issue; treatment is expensive and hard to even find. Let's treat the cause, not the disease."

How do you infer that the defendant was an alcoholic, i.e. an habitual driker? Did it come out as evidence in court? Anyone, even a non-alcoholic, can have "one too many" resulting in a DUI. I'd hate to have you on my jury.

I don't drive at night if I can help it. Drivers as well as pedestrians who are intoxicated make it too risky.


24 people like this
Posted by The Twinkly Defense
a resident of Green Acres
on Feb 4, 2018 at 9:26 am

The moral of the story is, don’t drink alcohol and then get behind the wheel of a car. The defense of the convicted felon offered above is just an attempt at window dressing.


7 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Feb 4, 2018 at 9:57 am

>> Posted by Foz, a resident of Fairmeadow:

>> As a former friend and neighbor, I can tell you that nobody here believes a word of your story. I know the story and I have known Zachary since we were young. The media and the DA's office is asking you to believe that Zachary made a dreadful mistake the night of his accident. Yes, it was an accident

There was a collision in which someone was killed. Someone is at fault. You are suggesting that the person at fault was not Zachary Katz, but, the collision was not caused by a meteor from the sky.

>>Zachary had anxiety because he pushed himself so hard and it wasn't until he had the accident that his doctor realized that he might be suffering from something other than anxiety.

Evidence? If there is evidence, was it presented at trial by his lawyer?

>> He was also dosed with methanol

Evidence?

>> He was also diagnosed with a type of epilepsy.

Evidence?

>> Zach would never drive drunk...... never.

But, he did-- why are you saying he didn't? You have claimed that the cause was not intentional on his part, but, you can't say that he wasn't drunk driving. The facts are otherwise.

>> I don't know how any jury could convict someone like Zach unless they were homophobic, anti New Yorker, anti-semites.

I don't know about the jury, but, prior to your description, I would not have known the above information (If it is indeed true-- regardless, it doesn't matter to me, and, it isn't something the prosecution would normally bring up. Did the prosecution bring any of this information up during the trial?).

>> Yes, this was an accident

Why do you keep saying this, when, in fact, there is no doubt that the fatal collision happened while the defendant was under the influence. Collisions actually are the expected outcome of drunk driving.

You suggest that there must be other reasons for this than his intentionally drinking heavily. Is there any evidence of this? Was it presented during the trial? Whether or not Zachary Katz was a great kid growing up is not relevant to the cause of the fatal collision.



--

An aside, really, but, being no longer young myself, I had to read up on a few things to understand some of what was being said. I discovered the following frequently referenced article. Which is, as far as I know, not relevant to this incident, but, which helped me understand some of the side conversation:

Web Link





9 people like this
Posted by DW
a resident of another community
on Feb 4, 2018 at 9:59 am

Foz: Well it's good to see that you've got all your bases covered with the he was convicted because he's gay or Jewish or from New York. I feel sad for you that you're throwing those up so casually. It's kind of a mockery to hide behind those when true story they impact a lot of people, but that's not what happened here. Honestly full stop he drove drunk, everything else is very secondary and an excuse. If I'm planning to drink I don't drink anything alcoholic, it's not that hard.


11 people like this
Posted by DW
a resident of another community
on Feb 4, 2018 at 10:02 am

^Planning to drive. But the point still stands, if he was planning to drive anywhere he shouldn't have started drinking. None of his medals or achievements mean he's not responsible for the actions he choose to take.


6 people like this
Posted by Mediation
a resident of Barron Park
on Feb 4, 2018 at 4:13 pm

@Anon
Apspertame will increase methanol levels in the blood.
Web Link
Maybe your pal had too much iced tea and artificial sweetner before his drive ? Time to blame Lipton ?



1 person likes this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Ventura
on Feb 4, 2018 at 6:53 pm

[Post removed.]


Like this comment
Posted by AlexDeLarge
a resident of Midtown
on Feb 4, 2018 at 8:54 pm

[Post removed.]


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Couple brings Chinese zongzi to Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 5,782 views

Don't Miss Your Exit (and other lessons from an EV drive)
By Sherry Listgarten | 6 comments | 1,377 views

Goodbye Food Waste!
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 1,252 views

Can cities handle our traffic mess? I doubt it!
By Diana Diamond | 16 comments | 1,122 views

"Better" Dads and "Re-invigorated" Moms: Happier Couples
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,079 views

 

Register today!

​On Friday, October 11, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More