News

Downtown restaurant blaze shuts streets

Three Seasons restaurant fire went up to the roof

A restaurant fire in Palo Alto led to street closures in downtown Monday afternoon.

Crews responded to multiple reports from passersby of a structure fire at Three Seasons restaurant at 518 Bryant St. shortly before 2:30 p.m., when smoke and flames were visible from the two-story building, according to emergency-radio dispatches. When firefighters arrived, a restaurant manager told them the restaurant was empty and they made their way inside, according to dispatch radio.

Plumes of smoke were coming from the roof. Palo Alto Fire Battalion Chief Bobby Davis said the fire started in the kitchen and spread over the stove and other equipment. Flames in the kitchen went up the flue to the roof. Two of three vents burned up, he said.

The blaze was extinguished about 20 minutes later. No one was injured and no other buildings were damaged. There was some smoke and water damage where the sprinkler system turned on, Davis said.

The cause of the fire was not immediately apparent, and fire officials are still doing a formal investigation, he said.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Police had blocked off University and Hamilton avenues between Bryant and Ramona streets until about 4 p.m., the agency said on Twitter.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Downtown restaurant blaze shuts streets

Three Seasons restaurant fire went up to the roof

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Mon, Jan 15, 2018, 5:25 pm

A restaurant fire in Palo Alto led to street closures in downtown Monday afternoon.

Crews responded to multiple reports from passersby of a structure fire at Three Seasons restaurant at 518 Bryant St. shortly before 2:30 p.m., when smoke and flames were visible from the two-story building, according to emergency-radio dispatches. When firefighters arrived, a restaurant manager told them the restaurant was empty and they made their way inside, according to dispatch radio.

Plumes of smoke were coming from the roof. Palo Alto Fire Battalion Chief Bobby Davis said the fire started in the kitchen and spread over the stove and other equipment. Flames in the kitchen went up the flue to the roof. Two of three vents burned up, he said.

The blaze was extinguished about 20 minutes later. No one was injured and no other buildings were damaged. There was some smoke and water damage where the sprinkler system turned on, Davis said.

The cause of the fire was not immediately apparent, and fire officials are still doing a formal investigation, he said.

Police had blocked off University and Hamilton avenues between Bryant and Ramona streets until about 4 p.m., the agency said on Twitter.

Comments

Karen Kotoske
Crescent Park
on Jan 16, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Karen Kotoske, Crescent Park
on Jan 16, 2018 at 2:00 pm
3 people like this

Good luck to Three Seasons in getting everything repaired. We're sorry for the fire. You are one of my favorite
restaurants in Palo Alto, you always provide delicious food and a beautiful atmosphere. We will miss you while you are closed.


Long Time Resident
Old Palo Alto
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Long Time Resident, Old Palo Alto
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:02 pm
8 people like this

This is one reason why "mixed-use" buildings like housing over restaurants & grocery stores is a bit scary. The other reason are rodents and roaches like residents living in condos on CA Ave have experienced.


zap
another community
on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:22 pm
zap, another community
on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Like this comment

Karma. 3 Seasons owner is the one always calling noise complaints on the restaurants nearby. Source: the officers who had to keep going out on these nonsense calls.


Dave Hoffman
Crescent Park
on Jan 17, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Dave Hoffman, Crescent Park
on Jan 17, 2018 at 12:25 pm
9 people like this

I think your understanding of karma differs from mine, 'Zap'.

I find it hard to believe your accusation knowing the chef/owner of Three Seasons as I do. Besides, what nearby restaurants might be making too much noise? The few seats in back of the Old Pro? Please.

Instead of taking pleasure in this incident, perhaps we all could simply be grateful that nobody was hurt in the blaze?

I wish the Three Seasons team luck with repairing their kitchen and reopening soon--I can't wait to visit them again, to support a long-standing local business, and to enjoy John Le's wonderful take on Vietnamese food!


Sea Reddy
College Terrace
on Jan 17, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Sea Reddy, College Terrace
on Jan 17, 2018 at 2:32 pm
4 people like this

I was going leftt on Hamilton ave and Bryant
Fire departmentc was in action.
They did a superb job.
It was surreal.. Like watching on TV.
I thank them for what they do.

Respectfully


Sophie
another community
on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Sophie, another community
on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Like this comment

Best luck to Three Season restaurant. I enjoyed their food as well as the ambience, and hope their amazing interior remain intacted.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.