News

Man receives 20-year sentence for mistaken-identity attack

Pair convicted in beating claim restitution to baby sitter is excessive

Two men who savagely attacked a baby sitter in a case of mistaken identity, leaving him paralyzed, petitioned a San Mateo County judge on Friday to reduce restitution to the victim, which they claim is too severe, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Christian Eduardo Juarez-Medrano, 21, of Redwood City, and Oscar Juarez-Medrano, 26, of East Palo Alto, had pleaded no contest on Sept. 1 to the beating, in which the baby sitter was stabbed in the torso and brain in front of his teenage daughter. Christian Juarez-Medrano received a 20-year prison sentence for felony attempted murder; Oscar Juarez-Medrano was sentenced for felony assault and placed on three years of supervised probation on the condition of 225 days of jail time.

A probation department report presented to San Mateo County Superior Court on Friday recommended the two men pay $36,700 in restitution to the victim for medical care, lost wages and rehabilitation. But the defendants balked at the recommendation and asked the court for a hearing to consider a lower amount, Wagstaffe said.

The victim and his daughters were babysitting at an apartment building on Cooley Avenue in East Palo Alto on Dec. 10 while his sister and her husband went to a Christmas party. When the sister and husband returned, a man came out of Oscar Juarez-Medrano's nearby apartment and challenged them to a fight. The couple ignored the man and went to their home, according to prosecutors.

Fifteen minutes later, the baby sitter and his 13-year-old daughter left the couple's apartment to go home. The Juarez-Medrano men and Oscar Juarez-Medrano's wife rushed out of the neighboring apartment and confronted him. The wife was screaming that the baby sitter had been told to leave, though prosecutors don't know why. The baby sitter was not familiar with the defendants, police said.

Both men beat the baby sitter in front of his daughter; Christian Juarez-Medrano stabbed the victim in the torso and in the head and into his brain. The defendants then fled. The baby sitter was rushed to Stanford Hospital by ambulance and received emergency brain surgery. He suffers from permanent paralysis on the right side of his body.

Oscar Juarez-Medrano's wife was originally charged for the attack, but the case against her was dismissed in April due to insufficient evidence, prosecutors said.

Wagstaffe said he did not know why the defense claims the restitution is excessive, given the severity of the crime and lasting injuries. The restitution hearing is scheduled for Oct. 20.

Attorneys for the defendants could not immediately be reached on Tuesday.

In addition to the felony attempted murder no-contest plea, Christian Juarez-Medrano admitted a prior strike, a deadly weapon-use enhancement and serious and violent felony allegations at the time of his pretrial hearing. He received 302 days credit for time served, was banned from contacting the victims and ordered to pay restitution in an amount to be determined at a later time, court fees and fines. He remains in custody in lieu of $10 million bail.

For the felony assault, Oscar Juarez-Medrano was placed on three years of supervised probation on the condition of 225 days of jail time, for which he had already served and received credit. He was ordered to undergo counseling, have no contact with the victims and pay restitution and fines. He appeared in court out of custody on $25,000 bail.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

37 people like this
Posted by Judy
a resident of Woodland Ave. area (East Palo Alto)
on Oct 4, 2017 at 10:22 am

The restitution actually seems a little low. If I were either of these two men I'd be thankful for what seems like very little punishment for the brutality of the crime. The victim will forever be reminded of what happened by his forever disability. It just seems like such a small amount for so much damage to a human life...and over what?


21 people like this
Posted by C
a resident of College Terrace
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:06 am

In a perfectly fair world, both assailants would get the death penalty carried out within six months. What ever savings this would ensure the State Corrections Dept saved should be given to the victim as restitution.

(I'm not sure what the article is referring to regarding why the wife insisted the baby sitter had to leave. Is this victim blaming? Are they saying he got what he deserved based on something he did to the kid? If that's the case use the money to incarcerate him for life instead. If not, why is this even mentioned?)


3 people like this
Posted by BlueMeanie
a resident of Crescent Park
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:58 am

[Post removed.]


7 people like this
Posted by nat
a resident of Midtown
on Oct 4, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Surely in the trial, the motivation for the attack was revealed.
What was it?


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Do These for 80% Chance of Divorce
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,124 views

Tips for the Best Latkes
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 922 views

 

The holidays are here!

From live music to a visit with Santa, here's a look at some local holiday activities to help you get into the spirit of the season.

VIEW