Real Estate

Home Front: Creek monitoring; recycling help


A round-up of local home and garden news and events.

MONITOR THE CREEK ... If the rain starts coming down and you're curious how high the local creeks are getting and you don't want to venture out to see for yourself, you can go to the city's website and see the levels of four different creeks in real time, or even view some from the webcam.

RECYLCLING? TRASH? COMPOST? ... Over the holidays you may have guests, lots of food, and wrapping paper, boxes and other things you don't normally need to dispose of. If you are asking yourself, "what goes where?" Look no further than the City of Palo Alto's Zero Waste curbside recycling webpage for detailed lists of what goes in which colored bin. If you are arguing amongst your family members, these three extremely detailed lists should answer any question or solve any dispute. Go to

STRAY OR DEAD ANIMAL? ...B If you live in San Mateo County and you encounter a stray or dead animal, you can call 650-340-8200. The Peninsula Humane Society and SPCA, a private nonprofit organization, is contracted with all 20 San Mateo County cities to enforce all animal control laws, shelter homeless animals and provide various other services from investigating animal bites to removal of dead or living wildlife in certain situations. The organization also has animal adoption services and, if you find a lost animal or lose one yourself, there is also a free lost/found animal flyer template on its website at

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Peek inside the fine-dining Selby's, opening in Redwood City this summer
By Elena Kadvany | 6 comments | 4,509 views

If you do nothing else, do These Three Things
By Sherry Listgarten | 16 comments | 1,491 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 7 comments | 1,288 views

Premarital and Couples: "You're Not Listening to Me!" may mean "I don't feel heard."
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,183 views

Finding Balance
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 107 views


Vote now!

It's time once again to cast your vote for the best places to eat, drink, shop and spend time in Palo Alto. Voting is open now through May 27. Watch for the results of our 2019 Best Of contest on Friday, July 19.