Santa Clara County eyes plan to offer legal aid to undocumented residents

Supervisors Cortese, Chavez to present plan at Dec. 6 meeting

Undocumented immigrants facing threats of deportation by the forthcoming Trump administration may soon have more legal help in Santa Clara County, according to county officials.

At the Dec. 6 meeting of the Board of Supervisors, Board President Dave Cortese and Supervisor Cindy Chavez will promote a plan to expand legal services for undocumented residents needing representation for hearings or help preparing documents.

The plan would also ensure that immigrants in the county are informed about changes in federal immigration policies that may affect them, according to Chavez and Cortese.

"We will do everything we can to make sure our residents know

their rights and have access to legal services to protect them from unjust deportation," Cortese said in a statement.

"The county has long strived to be a place where immigrants can live without fear of being uprooted from their homes. That doesn't go away with a new administration in Washington," Cortese said.

More than 37 percent of Santa Clara County residents were born outside of the U.S., according to U.S. Census data.

The plan would involve a partnership between nonprofits, the county's Office of Immigrant Relations and San Jose's Office of Immigrant Affairs, according to Chavez and Cortese.

The meeting will convene at 9 a.m. in the Board Chambers of the County Government Center, at 70 West Hedding St. in San Jose. The meeting's agenda will be posted on the county website on Nov. 30.

"We must ensure that families are not broken apart without due process - and that means making sure that they have legal representation," Chavez said in a statement.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

68 people like this
Posted by Makes no sense
on Nov 20, 2016 at 9:27 am

I guess this is where our new tax increases are going. Too many legal citizens already need help. With the condition of our schools, housing, roads and schools, why are we diverting resources to this effort?

I know liberals are in a panic after the election but this kind of mis-guided response only drives more people into the Trump camp for the future.

72 people like this
Posted by wow
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 20, 2016 at 9:41 am

Wow! This kind of stuff is what got Trump elected! What do people not understand about illegal. Trump nor I is against immigration, it is illegal immigration we are against. What do people not understand about the word "illegal".

If you are on the other side please explain how you can argue this, illegal is illegal. Come here legally like my dad did from Italy years ago and no one is going to have a problem.

On top of it these liberal ideas want to use my tax money to pay for this enabling of the illegal aliens that are here. If that is cruel I apologize but you cannot argue honesty and truth in life, illegal is illegal!

67 people like this
Posted by Vet
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45 am

I am disabled veteran in need of legal assistance for ADA issues. How do I get free legal help?

9 people like this
Posted by Life
on Nov 20, 2016 at 11:44 am

@Vet makes a really good point. Legal assistance for ADA issues is really hard because those who need the help have no money and consequently there are few lawyers to help. I have a relative who volunteers to help vets fill out paperwork for their benefits. (Just wanted to put a plug in for something locals could do to volunteer that would help immensely).

To the people above: compassion is a response to the fact that life is not black and white. Even with free help, there is no free lunch here. Only people who are very desperate are even going to risk asking for help. I don't think this is a can of worms. Often the people involved are longtime taxpaying residents. Helping under those citcumstances begets loyalty and hard work. There is an upside to society.

49 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Nov 20, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Actually, there's nothing they can do. Our federal government is about to have surefire clarity and purpose.

Thank God for Trump. Why can't they go Make Mexico Great? The Mexican government is so corrupt and couldn't care less about its people. [Portion removed.] I hope Trump starts holding the government of Mexico accountable.

It is so easy to let our hearts bleed profusely and claim altruism from our lofty perch in the Palo Alto bubble.

Maybe we can employ them to build the wall on the Mexican side of the border.

Welcome to reality. folks.

13 people like this
Posted by Right-Wing Hypocrisy
on Nov 20, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Funny seeing all of these comments bashing "illegal immigrants" -- ESPECIALLY considering these same people no doubt benefited from the labor of same "illegals."

Of course, they would not want to admit that fact...

12 people like this
Posted by Sarah1000
a resident of Los Altos
on Nov 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Sarah1000 is a registered user.

We are a nation of immigrants and many of us can trace our lineage to several different countries. I recently discovered that one of my great, great grandfathers used his twin's mandatory armed service record to obtain the necessary paperwork in Germany to be allowed to travel here. I would believe many people, with a little research, would also discover an ancestor or two whose citizenship was obtained with some alteration of fact. My point is that the issues of immigration and deportation are not always clear. Families and children will be affected. I am thankful that our Board of Supervisors will ensure that others in my community are treated as individuals who deserve to, at least, understand their rights in what will be a complicated process.

8 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 20, 2016 at 4:30 pm

"Thank God for Trump."

Why? He can't even prove his own US citizenship.

41 people like this
Posted by really
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 20, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Illegal is illegal. yes we are a country of immigrants like my family who came here legally.

come here legally and all the best to you. If you are illegal then go back and then come back legally, what is so hard to understand.

3 people like this
Posted by Right-Wing Hypocrisy
on Nov 20, 2016 at 4:48 pm

@really: And who will do your dirty jobs for you? You can't possibly tell me you would do it yourself...

9 people like this
Posted by Granny Grifter
a resident of Professorville
on Nov 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm

[Post removed.]

2 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 20, 2016 at 5:03 pm

[Post removed.]

39 people like this
Posted by Enough is enough
on Nov 20, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I am a first generation immigrant who came here legally, worked really hard and paid all my taxes for 25+ years. Obviously I support immigration since I came here as an immigrant - but I do not support anyone getting here illegally. Why should my hard earned money go to someone who's first act in this country was to break the law? Maybe bleeding hearts who inherited their money dont know the meaning of climbing the ladder of success through hard work and through strictly legal means. For them, throwing away somebody else's tax money on law breakers is fine. But for the rest of us who came here legally, this is not fine. I did not vote for Trump this time around but with ill considered measures like this, even people like me will do so.

11 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 20, 2016 at 6:58 pm

"I did not vote for Trump this time around but with ill considered measures like this, even people like me [immigrants] will do so."

You miss the basic point. "Illegal" immigrants is a timeworn dogwhistle for Mexican immigrants; that is, immigrants with dark skins. I expect the newly-emboldened Trumpistas will soon drop this residual PC-speak, and begin talking plainly about evicting all non-white immigrants and their offspring.

36 people like this
Posted by Enough is Enough
on Nov 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

@Curmedgeon: Dont hide behind that racism fig leaf. I am also a colored immigrant. I just dont support people who get here through illegal means. People who are illegal have broken the law. Period. It does not matter whether they are Mexican or from anywhere else. Legal immigrants like me waited in line, played by the rules and went through every legal procedure. Dont try to change the topic by bringing in the topic of race which is irrelevant in this issue. Breaking the law is the real issue.

10 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 20, 2016 at 7:35 pm

"@Curmedgeon: Dont hide behind that racism fig leaf."

Don't shoot the messenger. Knowing is not willing.

[Portion removed.]

44 people like this
Posted by Wow
on Nov 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

The County officials that voted for this should be thrown out of office.

42 people like this
Posted by SoWhoVotedForThis
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Nov 20, 2016 at 8:58 pm

@PaloAltoWeekly

Please list the names of the officials that voted for this so we can vote them out of office during the next election.

We are a nation of immigrants that is what makes this country great, but don't be stupid be leaving the front door open.

3 people like this
Posted by Todd
on Nov 20, 2016 at 11:01 pm

@Curmudgeon

I think not hiding behind the "racist fig leaf" means you have to join him in completely suspending disbelief... Or never looking at the comments section below literally any news story about anyone with a remotely Spanish surname.

30 people like this
Posted by john_alderman
on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:45 am

john_alderman is a registered user.

@Right-Wing Hypocrisy - so you want illegal immigrants here so they can do the jobs that are too "dirty" for you? That's the elitist attitude that got us Trump. Gardening isn't a dirty job, housekeeping isn't a dirty job, working agriculture isn't a dirty job. The only problem with those jobs is the pay is low, and the reason the pay is low is because there is an abundance of cheap illegal labor.

So we've got homeless veterans who can;t get medical care and we are going to spend money on illegal immigrant legal aid? It is disgraceful.

30 people like this
Posted by Anonymous
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:20 am

Wait, WHAT? Since when do we as a society go out of our way to provide support for criminals? I don't care about their reasoning; these people broke the law. You can argue against any illegal action (for example, someone stealing food to feed their kids) but it doesn't make it right, and by no means should we as a society support it.

I am an immigrant. My family immigrated here, LEGALLY. Not only that but I have family members that waited for years and years to immigrate here. Some of them never made it, and passed away overseas. It was tough, very tough. But we 100% respected the law no matter how tough it got. And yet to hear that people are simply coming here with no regard for the law and GETTING SUPPORT FROM OUR COMMUNITY TO STAY HERE is disgusting not only in principle but also on a personal level knowing what my own family (and many others) who actually abide by laws went through. Ugh, how awful.

I don't necessarily think families should be split up at THIS POINT if they are already living here, even though what they did was so wrong but they should have to pay a fine or otherwise fend for themselves in my opinion. I get it - it is heart wrenching for families to be split up and I am not in any way suggesting that I want parents of kids born here to get deported or for families to be torn apart. But that being said - they don't deserve to receive any type of additional support when so many people are waiting in line and enduring tough times to come here legally. When so many other groups of people need help and support why would we go out of our way to help this group?? Please, someone provide a valid explanation; I have yet to hear one valid explanation of why it is OK to just ignore the law and do whatever you want.

10 people like this
Posted by Wow
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:17 am

This issue will be brought before The Santa Clara board of county Supervisors on Dec. 6.

All these folks On the board appear to be for undocumented Immigration. We will see how they will vote on this issue. Then the truth will come out.

11 people like this
Posted by consequences
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:31 am

"I have yet to hear one valid explanation of why it is OK to just ignore the law and do whatever you want."

I think it's more about the consequences of the enforcement. For example, what would happen if we strictly enforce all traffic laws and a large number of people lose their licenses? How about strictly enforcing underage drinking laws and now all of a sudden a large number of our kids have criminal records?

Of course, you may argue that the examples above aren't as "serious" as illegal immigration (although speeding and distracted driving certainly increases accidents and deaths), but I think it does show that the consequences of enforcement should be taken into account.

5 people like this
Posted by Wow
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:38 am

Here is a link for the County, send them ab E-mail,tell them what you think.
Web Link

2 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 21, 2016 at 8:14 am

Didn't prop 64 prove California can ignore federal law?

16 people like this
Posted by SB
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:05 am

They aren't talking about giving people food or housing or jobs or anything like that -- it sounds from the article that they are just talking about partnering with existing non-profits to try to provide people with some legal help in deportation proceedings. I have some experience with immigration courts -- they are complicated and require expertise, without legal assistance you might as well not give some of these people a hearing at all and ship them off to their country of origin whether or not they are legally required to go there.

People shouldn't do lots of things that they do anyway. People shouldn't come here illegally, but they need the money so they do. People also shouldn't hire undocumented immigrants to do their gardening or housecleaning or nannying (this is also illegal and what gives people the incentive to come here illegally), but a lot of Palo Alto does because they don't want to spend more money. Many people are at fault, not just the undocumented immigrants, but they sure bear the brunt of it all. When taxpayers are hiring undocumented workers in large numbers, using some taxpayer dollars to give them a fair hearing before they are uprooted and kicked out seems fair to me.

2 people like this
Posted by Right-Wing Hypocrisy
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:23 pm

@john_alderman: I get it. You didn't actually READ my comment. So let's try this again.

You and I both know that there are a LOT of people -- including people of your ideological stripe -- who are more than happy to use "illegals" to do the "dirty" jobs they won't do. Simple. As. That. For you to deny that reality speaks more about your mindset than it does about what I have actually said here.

And as for your statement that "So we've got homeless veterans who can;t get medical care and we are going to spend money on illegal immigrant legal aid?" -- obviously, you don't have your facts straight. Medical care for veterans is a FEDERAL issue -- and it has been the Republican majority in Congress that have made the situation worse. This program for "illegals" is a LOCAL matter. NOT a federal matter.

3 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:46 pm

"Didn't prop 64 prove California can ignore federal law?"

It happens. Almost 61 years ago an African-American woman named Rosa Parks ignored a local law requiring "her kind" to sit in the back of public buses.

22 people like this
Posted by More than One Kind of Illegal
on Nov 21, 2016 at 1:47 pm

There are illegal Eastern European immigrants-- Tesla is using many, and paying them $15/day!

There are illegal Chinese immigrants--often brought in by legal Chinese immigrants to work in restaurants and bordellos. The restaurant workers often sleep in the back of the restaurant.

There are illegal African, Caribbean and South/Central American immigrants-- usually stowaways who perform the same jobs as illegal Mexican immigrants.

Mexicans may be the most numerous illegal immigrants, but likely this is due to Mexico's proximity to the US.

Western Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, South Africa and England see plenty of Chinese, African, Arabic, Vietnamese, Caribbean and Eastern European illegals, but no Mexican illegal immigrants.

4 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 21, 2016 at 3:06 pm

"Mexican illegals are NOT the only kind of illegal immigrants to be found in the US."

Yet all but one of the immigrant classes you deplore are non-white. No surprise, certainly.

You do know that your hero Trump imported Eastern European illegals to build Trump Tower, where he sits on his throne as we speak, paying them little to nothing? Web Link . Trump knows the usefulness of illegals to his socio-economic class, so he is unlikely to do much more than noisily deport some dark-skinned Mexican illegals for the entertainment of The Base.

11 people like this
Posted by outraged
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Yeah, I heard about this outrageous plan by the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors. With all the subjects they could address, this is what they prioritize.
They prioritize illegal aliens over citizens and legal residents.
FACT.

11 people like this
Posted by More than One Kind of Illegal
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:59 pm

@ Curmudgeon: I did NOT vote for Trump, I detest the guy! [Portion removed.]

I do not "deplore" illegal immigrants, but I was merely stating fact! There are some illegals from China and Eastern Europe who are brought here under duress or trickery or drugging, sometimes against their will--and they are used as slaves or near-slave level labor!

When I lived in Europe for a couple of years (2004-2005), I had a tee shirt made that said, "Don't Blame Me, I Did NOT vote for Him", because I got so sick of being asked what I thought about Pres Bush!

I wanted Bernie...reluctantly settled for Hillary as the lesser of two evils.

11 people like this
Posted by More than One Kind of Illegal
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Most people are aware that Trump has used illegal immigrant workers, including in construction, but few seem to have read the stories in the Merc regarding Tesla's use of illegal Eastern European immigrants for extremely low daily wages, or that they are given the MOST dangerous tasks.

10 people like this
Posted by Makes no sense
on Nov 22, 2016 at 6:56 am

[Post removed.]

10 people like this
Posted by Makes no sense
on Nov 22, 2016 at 9:19 am

Curmudgeon logic:

1. Anybody has a right to come to the USA illegally and get free legal counseling, medical care and economic assistance.
2. It takes resources to provide free services
3. It takes work to produce resources
4. Therefore, US citizens must work in indefinite servitude for all non-citizens
5. My liberal conscience feels better

P.S. Anybody who disagrees with me is a racist

7 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:25 pm

"Most people are aware that Trump has used illegal immigrant workers, ... Tesla's use of illegal Eastern European immigrants..."

You have just shown us why nothing will be done to exclude or expel illegals favored by the Establishment. Illegals make for great slave labor.

Sure, Trump will throw some hapless non-white immigrants under the bus with great fanfare on reality TV to appease and entertain The Base, but he will do precious little beyond that. You been snookered by a slick showman, my friend.

3 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:30 pm

@Makes no sense

Great screen name. I admire honesty.

Post-election reflections -- and sponges
By Diana Diamond | 12 comments | 1,452 views

Couples: Philosophy of Love

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?
By Douglas Moran | 4 comments | 592 views