Palo Alto police investigate pedestrian fatality

Man struck, killed by vehicle on Embarcadero Road Saturday morning

UPDATE: The Santa Clara County Coroner's Office has identified the victim as Richard Warrick, 89, of Palo Alto.

---

A pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle on Saturday morning, July 23, leading to an investigation by Palo Alto police, according to a department press release.

The victim, a man in his 80s, was found unconscious with major injuries when police and Palo Alto Fire Department personnel responded to the scene on the 800 block of Embarcadero Road at about 7:30 a.m. He was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

The driver of the vehicle, an East Palo Alto man in his 20s, remained at the scene. He has been cooperative with investigators and was not injured, according to police.

The pedestrian was attempting to cross the street when he was struck by the car, which was traveling east, police said. The exact cause of the collision is under investigation by the police department's Specialized Traffic Accident Reconstruction (STAR) Team.

Drugs and alcohol do not appear to have been involved in the incident at this point. The driver has not been arrested or cited at this time, police said.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Palo Alto Police Department's 24-hour dispatch center at 650-329-2413. Anonymous tips can be emailed to paloalto@tipnow.org or sent by text message or voice mail to 650-383-8984.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

14 people like this
Posted by Sea Reddy
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 24, 2016 at 1:32 pm

So sorry for the loss.

My prayers.

unfortunately, a walker or biker can get hit by a car. Car is a weapon and we all need to be looking because some walkers and bikers can appear suddenly. Many times they are victims but, they some time are unaware that a 3-4000 pound car can come and kill or injure them.

respectfully

44 people like this
Posted by Gertrude
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 24, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I'm a walker; I walk from Menlo Park to Downtown Palo Alto and Stanford. I've learned not to count on drivers/bicyclists to stop at red lights or stop signs. I never cross the street until AFTER cars have stopped. Bikes are just as bad as they also blow through stop sighs and red lights. When I was a child I learned to "stop, look, and listen" before crossing the street. It's kept me alive.

I'm very sorry that the 80 year old man, who was in good enough health to be out walking, was killed. My condolences to those who will miss him.

54 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm

This posting is not a comment on this tragedy. I feel for this man's family. But I am compelled to share this observation.

I'm encountering ever more pedestrians who amble directly into the path of my moving car without checking if their path is clear. They are seemingly oblivious that anyone else might be using the street, let alone people navigating two-ton steel enclosures possessing considerable momentum. Several have been spared only because I do not text while driving.

It is mostly sub-40s types, with or without devices. Distraction seems less of an issue than an deep presumed sense of entitlement.

Think, people. Suppose that next driver you ignore shares your illusion of privilege, and is in fact texting at that critical moment. He/she has hard steel in front of them. What have you got?

22 people like this
Posted by Robert
on Jul 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm

@Curmudgeon

Which is why I'm sure you're fully supportive of efforts to reduce traffic speeds through neighborhoods? [Portion removed.]

11 people like this
Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 24, 2016 at 4:17 pm

"Which is why I'm sure you're fully supportive of efforts to reduce traffic speeds through neighborhoods?"

Totally. Got workable ideas?

[Portion removed.]

37 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 24, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Don't blame the victim. He was 80+ years old. Realistically, how fast is he moving when he is crossing the street. Very unlikely that someone in that age category is going to dart into the middle of the road. At the 25mph speed limit, car drivers that are not distracted should have plenty of time to see and stop for someone walking at his speed. This is why we have 25mph speed limits on residential roads.

33 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 24, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I note that this accident happened at 7.30 am and the driver was going Eastbound. I have no idea about the light and shade at this intersection, but it is possible that the driver was blinded by the sun or that the pedestrian was in shadows.

We all have to be very careful on the streets and be aware that the only person who is in charge of our own safety is ourselves. A red light, a marked crossing place, is still a dangerous place to be and crossing the street still takes care and attention. It is better to be safe and alive than in the right and dead.

Please everyone, be careful on our streets whether you are behind the wheel, behind handlebars or on feet. Your body is precious and so are those of others using the streets. Let's not lay blame but try to do our best to make ourselves safer regardless of how we use the street.

RIP.

8 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jul 24, 2016 at 7:58 pm

For Palo Alto at 7:20 on Saturday a table I found shows the sun at 13 deg altitude, 75 deg azimuth. Embarcadero's heading is about 71 degrees. The 4 degree difference is about the width of two fingers at arm's length.

Keep your windshield clean.

3 people like this
Posted by Gerturde
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 24, 2016 at 9:41 pm

@ resident: I don't think anyone contributing to this thread is blaming the victim, just reminding everyone to be careful.

4 people like this
Posted by Death is Permanent
on Jul 24, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Death is Permanent is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

21 people like this
Posted by Be Positive
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 9:50 am

Be Positive is a registered user.

I drive and walk through that intersection several times a day. At least 30% of the time, the light turns red on Embarcadero, the pedestrian "walk" sign goes on to cross and then someone goes through the light. I'm not saying this happened, but both that light and the light at Embarcadero and Louis have a significant number of red light runners.

13 people like this
Posted by Be careful crossing streets
on Jul 25, 2016 at 10:31 am

I was driving through Palo Alto the other day. The car next to me and I both gradually slowed to a stop at a stoplight. I noticed pedestrians start walking right into the crosswalk and crossing before we stopped, without once looking up to check to make sure we had stopped. It was assumed, in their heads, that a walk sign meant everything was clear.

People, please be careful out there. Drivers do make mistakes sometimes. Everyone has ran a redlight at some point. Everyone gets distracted sometimes. Please take care of yourself, and check both ways when you are crossing the street. Make sure the car stops before walking in front of it. Better yet, make eye contact with the driver right before you cross.

14 people like this
Posted by KH
on Jul 25, 2016 at 10:37 am

Condolences the man's family, they must be devastated.

Curmudgeon makes an excellent point. You need to both walk and drive defensively. Drivers see a green light at the exact same time the walkers get the 'walk' sign. More often than not, they step into the crosswalk staring at their phone, without even turning their head to be sure the driver sees them (clueless). I don't know which over-paid traffic analyst devised this insane system but the pedestrian should always make eye contact with an approaching driver. Right on red adds an additional element of risk. They need to revive that thing we learned in Kindergarten...STOP, LOOK AND LISTEN. Web Link

And as far as 4-year-olds go, don't get me started with people riding bikes in heavy traffic with little ones following on their tiny two wheelers, or towing an infant in a flimsy bike trailer...frightening. I am sure that comment will spawn a slew of righteous comments...so be it.

1 person likes this
Posted by Response to Be Positive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 10:49 am

How do you know the collision happened at Louis Road? The press release says 800 block of Embarcadero Road, which is at Newell Road. Does the public know that it happened at a traffic light, as the police report does not say.

7 people like this
Posted by Judith Wasserman
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 11:10 am

Judith Wasserman is a registered user.

The only way I can think of to actually cause speeds to decrease is to redesign the street - narrower, windier and with more trees and other landscaping. The speed limit is the same on Ramona (for example) as it is on Embarcadero, but people simply can't maintain the same speeds on Ramona because of the actual way the street is constructed.

6 people like this
Posted by Be Positive
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 11:12 am

Be Positive is a registered user.

@Response - According to the report, the accident happened at Embarcadero and Newell and I don't know what happened. My comment was that both the lights on Embarcadero - at Newell and at Louis - have people run the red light on a very regular basis. I see it at least once a day. I don't see that happen at the other lights on Embarcadero.

9 people like this
Posted by moi
on Jul 25, 2016 at 11:53 am

@ Sea Reddy:

"Car is a weapon" --

I sincerely doubt that this particular car was being used as a weapon, so I am shocked that you even mention that.
This was a horrible, horrible accident. Someone died who should not have died; someone else was involved in that death, and he will be forever scarred by the event. Tragic all around.

Posted by Cur Mudgeon
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:01 pm

[Post removed.]

14 people like this
Posted by Elephant in the room
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:01 pm

My condolences. Terrible tragedy.

Now ... who in Palo Alto is driving at the speed limit of 25m/h almost an all streets? Particularly wide streets like Embarcadero?

That is not a suggestion, people! We must obey the limits posted.

I am ONE .. HUNDRED .. percent sure that the motorist was going over 25. The skid marks will most probably show that.

I saw once in my life-time people driving en masse at 25m/h on Embarcadero. I thought something got to be wrong. There was a cop driving in front and everyone had to keep behind him.

How to get there? Multiple ways:
1. Cameras in random locations with radars.
2. Speed bumps.
3. Oldy but goody: police officers with radar guns here and there.

Who saw a cop with a radar in Palo Alto? I have not in fourteen years.

Be safe.

19 people like this
Posted by Downtown dilettante.
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:06 pm

A car is a weapon, a fact that drivers sometimes seem to forget.

We don't know the particulars here, but I have observed cars driving through red lights more and more frequently, including downtown where there are always lots of pedestrians. Last week I saw such a car almost hit a young woman. She was not using a device, she had the right of way; she was a few feet ahead of me in the intersection so I'm especially glad I didn't have to witness someone getting plowed under by a car.

Again, not saying this was the situation here, but too many self-entitled drivers seemingly oblivious to everyone else because their own schedules come first.

21 people like this
Posted by Slow down on Embarcadero
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Embarcadero is a street in a residential area, but people drive on it like it is a highway. Nobody drives at 25 mph. The time between a red light on Embarcadero and a green light on the side streets is set for 25 mph, which the cars never do. As a results, there are a lot of cars going through the red light. Please, Palo Alto, do something to slow down Embarcadero traffic.
Disclaimer: I lost my car to somebody who ran a red light on Embarcadero last weekend but I was lucky enough that none were injured, including my two kids in the back.

15 people like this
Posted by It was only a matter of time
on Jul 25, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I totally agree with Slow down on Embarcadero and Be Positive. I have witnessed many drivers deliberately speed up to run the red lights at St Francis, Greer, Louis and Newell. I have seen several near misses, and not just at rush hour. I do not step, ride or drive into any of those intersections until I am certain that it is safe. I brought my concerns to the police officer who is assigned to monitor those intersections months ago, but there has been no apparent increase in enforcement.

3 people like this
Posted by Response to Be Positive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 1:50 pm

The report did not say it was at Newell Road or at a light. There are intersections between Newell and Louis Roads without traffic lights.

That being said, traffic does move fast on Embarcadero Road and I've seen red light runners, both of which are bad.

But what is the solution? Police can use radar only in school zones because the speed limit posted is far below the actual speed of cars. I don't see how to make Embarcadero Road narrower and windier, but it could undergo a "road diet" like Charleston-Arastradero Roads. Would the community accept such a change, or would the increased congestion cause spillover traffic on Addison or California Avenue? We could have radar enforcement if the speed were raised, but I don't see community support for that either.

4 people like this
Posted by Jeff
on Jul 25, 2016 at 1:58 pm

The best way to reduce red light running is to put cameras at every intersection. If someone KNOWS they will get a ticket, they won't run the red light.

Its been reported that radar can't be used on Embarcadero because the average speed is too high. Using radar would be considered a speed trap. It would take a heavy investment of police power to bring the speed down to a level where radar could be used.

Creating hazardous driving conditions or traffic jams to reduce speed is a very bad idea.

8 people like this
Posted by cautious driver
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jul 25, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I am sure the young man is also quite shaken up and this will affect him for the rest of his life. We don't know if he was speeding and we are not even sure if the elderly man was in a cross walk.
I am encountering more and more pedestrians who dart across Emabrcadero because they don't want to walk to the intersection. And just because he was almost 90 does not imply that he could not have been trying to scuttle across the street and mistimed the traffic. (I'm not implying that happened in this case)
In one instance an elderly couple was crossing Embarcadero and although I was driving the speed limit, they froze and just stood in the middle of the road when they realized my car was approaching them. They then tried to wave me on as I stopped. Another car coming in the next lane could have killed them even if they were going the speed limit.
Yes, pedestrians have the right of way but that does not give them the right to just step out and cross the street where ever they please.
(I'm not saying that was the case in this accident).
The young man stayed at the scene and is cooperating. My heart goes out to both parties in this tragic event.

2 people like this
Posted by Palo Alto Man
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm

This did not happen at Newell or Louis, ie not at a pedestrian crossing.
It was in between the two intersections.

16 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 25, 2016 at 6:56 pm

At least a couple of other pedestrians have been killed in this section of Embarcadero Road in recent years. One at almost this exact same location. I believe she was found near the intersection of Embarcadero & Bret Harte St, but I'm not sure if the police ever announced where they thought she was hit. With the speeds cars are traveling here, the victim may land a full block or more from where they were hit. With all of these fatalities, the victims were older Palo Alto residents, who presumably were crossing the street at slow speeds. One was even in a wheelchair. What is the city doing wrong in not protecting its most vulnerable residents? I would not be surprised if Embarcadero Road was the deadliest street in the city (by a large margin).

9 people like this
Posted by Crescent Park Dad
on Jul 25, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe that the last two senior-citizen pedestrian fatalities on Embarcadero were in the early morning and involved crossing the street in the middle of the block.

This issue goes well beyond speeding cars (which there are many) and/or distracted drivers (again, many). How do we keep our seniors from going into the street anywhere else but at a signal light and crosswalk?

19 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 25, 2016 at 8:10 pm

@Crescent Park Dad - either you are wrong or there are more fatalities on Embarcadero Road than I remember. One recent fatality involved a woman in a crosswalk parallel to Embarcadero. I don't recall which street that was, but the car driver had a stop sign.

1 person likes this
Posted by Jenny
on Jul 25, 2016 at 9:28 pm

The deceased's body was about 30 feet east from Newell and about in the center of the street covered by a white sheet. After removing the deceased, the markers remained while the PAPD did its investigation.

10 people like this
Posted by resident
on Jul 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm

If the car was heading eastbound and the pedestrian was in the crosswalk, it is very possible for the impact to throw him 30 feet to the location mentioned by @Jenny. Even throwing the victim 200 feet is possible with the speeds some drivers go on Embarcadero Road.

9 people like this
Posted by Imploding
on Jul 25, 2016 at 10:22 pm

More traffic volume,higher speeds, corridors turned
into commute zones equals unsafe conditions. The City's response is to cover the streets with more paint and more signs. The City of Palo Alto is
actually imploding as an attractive, safe, and
even functional urban environment.

1 person likes this
Posted by Resident
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 26, 2016 at 3:15 am

There seems to be a fatality near or around or in Palo Alto involving a pedestrian and car at intersections lately. I know at El Camino and California ave, one is no longer allowed to make a right turn from California Ave onto El Camino on a red, since a fatality occurred. (There is a sign that says "no right turn on red light"). Clearly someone turned right on a red, and hit a pedestrian crossing California Ave and who had the right of way.

NOW... cars are at risk of turning on a green and hitting a pedestrian walking across El Camino (and who having the right of way).,

Perhaps... at the intersections where these fatalities occur, there should be traffic cameras and speed bumps and signage.

Have lived in Palo Alto long enough, and especially in College Terrace long enough to have seen cyclists, drivers and pedestrians all make mistakes, or disobey traffic laws.

There is a crossing at Williams x College ave in College Terrace. It's a 2-way stop. I've seen so many cyclists, pedestrians and cars blow past the stop sign, I now treat it as a 4-way stop sign (even though I have the right of way).

PERHAPS... Palo Alto needs to invest in someone who will study these high traffic accident prone areas where cyclists and cars blow past stop signs and lights, and figure out a better solution to these problem spots that will work. That particular 2-way stop at Williams and College is a traffic accident or fatality waiting to happen. There have been so many near misses with cars running that stop sign.... it's a matter of inevitability...

Posted by Cover up
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jul 26, 2016 at 6:25 am

[Post removed.]

16 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:35 am

Any time and every time there is a fatal accident of any type in Palo Alto we have threads like this. All of us try to work out in our own minds what the root cause was based on police reports, eye witness reports and journalist articles.

Without trying to attach blame, there are calls for more this or more that. Whether it be more signs (please no there are too many signs that they become invisible), more police tickets, or better light timing.

I read on Nextdoor that new, smarter traffic lights are about to be invoked.

The big problem that I see is that there is a frustration of people needing to get places without a satisfactory method of doing so efficiently. The traffic rules we have for the most part were written a long time ago. For the most part a lot of the latest rules are just band aids to cover up scratches and worse, rather than a complete overhaul of traffic management.

My suggestion would be to look overseas and see what types of things work in other countries that are not done here and see if things can't be done differently.

Here are some of my observations.

Physical barriers at many intersections that stop people walking directly across a street without having to do a dog leg in the middle of the street.

Physical barriers outside schools on both sides of the street that stop people darting across the street apart from at the appropriate place.

More lights for pedestrians which stop all traffic including turning traffic.

More pedestrian controlled crosswalks with embedded lights similar to those on Fabian.

More islands for pedestrians to wait safely for their cross now signal.

More areas where bikes have to dismount to cross and act as pedestrians pushing bikes instead of riding them.

More efficient areas where cars can move without having to contend with pedestrians and bikes.

Better traffic lights for bikes and give them a sequence of their own.

Some of the rules we have such as bike helmets are designed to protect after a collision. Better rules would prevent the collisions from happening in the first place. No more band aid rules, but better traffic flow functions to improve things for all.

Lastly, a report of what the final report on what caused an accident to be publicized as much as the initial report of the accident. We should be using each and every action as a learning tool to improve safe behavior.

6 people like this
Posted by sunshine
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:25 am

Speed bumps and narrower lanes do not lead to all cars travelling more slowly. Some drivers just love to go over speed bumps at high speed. I see them every day. Others will drive at 25 or very close to that regardless of bumps, etc.
The real way to get results and convince people, especially those entitled drivers who just must go through an intersection regardless of signs or light colors or the presence of others is to get police officers back on the streets to ticket non-complying drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. This happened regularly some years ago, but I have seen none recently. Many need to be stopped and ticketed before they learn.
We do not need more speed bumps. The bumps simply raise resentment among those who need to use that street regularly but find that the bumps are too high and sharp for the posted speed limit.
While we are at it--teach your children how to walk along a street without a sidewalk, cross a street, and ride a bicycle safely under all local conditions. Teach them also that on certain streets at certain times of day it is nearly impossible for a person to see the road clearly due to the position of the sun. This often happens in the morning as people are going to work.

8 people like this
Posted by Concerned
on Jul 26, 2016 at 9:15 am

This man was a friend of ours and we are all very shocked to hear about it.
I don't think he saw anything coming. We loved him very much.

9 people like this
Posted by Confused
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 9:44 am

There is a very simple and FREE solution to this issue. Pedestrians should be taught not to cross until they are absolutely certain the cars coming towards them are stopped. Period.

I don't understand this incessant need to push pedestrian rights. As a previous poster stated, I was taught to wait till cars passed then cross. I teach my kids that now. I don't care if the crosswalk has red, white and blue fireworks over it announcing a pedestrian, I tell my kids don't go until the cars are clear.

And if that means they have to walk a couple extra blocks to find a crosswalk with an actual stoplight so be it. Their life is way more important than a ridiculous insistence that pedestrians are more important. A car will always "win"

But hey, keep insisting and keep going down that road, your choice. My combo ice it to keep my kids alive.

Posted by Confused
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 9:46 am

Sorry, should read "my choice is"

7 people like this
Posted by be a good citizen
a resident of Professorville
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:05 am

Sorry for the loss, condolences to the man's family. This is a horrible tragedy. Loosing a life is never a good thing. As a community we must do something. Whenever I see cars speeding on Middlefield and Embarcadero, I just pray for the kids who attend nearby schools (Addison, Jordan, Walter Hays, Paly) and walk, use bikes to get there.

-more cops on the road
-speeding tickets
-driver, walker, biker education

20 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:11 am

@Confused - I'm sorry, but the green lights to cross Embarcadero are so short and the street is so wide, that if a pedestrian waits until oncoming traffic is completely stopped before they enter the street on a green light, the light will be red (and cross traffic will have the green light) before they get to the other side. This is especially true for slower walkers. As previous commenters have stated, most or all of the recent fatalities on Embarcadero Road are older pedestrians. Yes, the crosswalks will be safer if the pedestrian buttons were more responsive and the pedestrian green lights were much longer, but the city does not want to do that for some reason.

7 people like this
Posted by Mike
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Red light runners and speeders and traffic in general seem to be ignored by the police. Frankly, I have no idea what the police do. Where are they? In their enormous building? I won't suggest they are having donuts, but seriously. Who ever sees traffic enforcement in Palo Alto or Mt. View. Shoreline Rd is like a race course, and I have never seen a single cop there in 8 years. Three blocks from the police station. People do it because they get away with it day after day after day, year after year. Bike lanes are a joke...who would ride there when the traffic is going by at 45mph?

6 people like this
Posted by Gertrude
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 26, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Mike, I agree. I moved to Palo Alto in 1973 and remember when you could not ride your bike on the sidewalk of downtown University Ave. without a police officer telling you from a loud speaker from his car to "walk your bike!" Today I see bicyclists weaving in/out of pedestrians on the downtown sidewalk without an officer in sight reminding them that it's illegal. I also rarely see police officers handing out tickets on our streets. Further, although I am very appreciative of the police officers, I am very disappointed that when driving behind them, they rarely use their turn signals when making a turn. It seems that they should be examples to the rest of us.

3 people like this
Posted by Matt
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jul 26, 2016 at 3:57 pm

It's a tragedy indeed. I always use cross walk with pedestrian green light to cross, and at times cars that were making left turn, almost ran me over. I even called the police when this occurred but I doubted that the situation will improve. Sadly, this is at the corner of Mayview and Middlefield where our kids cross everyday to use the Mitchell Park library. Thus intersection will get busier and more dangerous when school begins. Besides myself, I even seen close call between cars and kids on bicycles. This is an accident waiting to happen.

4 people like this
Posted by Confused
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:13 pm

so to repeat Matt, one can rant for pedestrian rights and continue to be at mercy of bad drivers of which we seem to have in excess. Or one can suck up that we live in a highly trafficked area fraught with horrible drivers, teach those children (although I think the teen/adults with heads stuck to devices need it more) never cross until no cars are coming or they are fully stopped.

This is never going to be solved with MORE MORE MORE traffic controls, traffic inhibitors.

Posted by Robert
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:23 pm

@Confused

Well it can be solved as it has been all over the world, the question is what people see as an "acceptable" number of injuries and deaths.

7 people like this
Posted by confused
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:36 pm

The rest of the world doesn't tell people they're better than cars. I lived in Asia 5 years, travelled in Europe extensively, and yes, they are pedestrian-friendly but people most definitely have more respect for cars. The sense of entitlement here, particularly in our fair Bay Area, is astounding.

Frankly it's not even just to do with traffic, it's a sense of entitlement and lack of respect for others in general. But I digress.

Posted by Robert
on Jul 26, 2016 at 9:39 pm

I'm unaware of who is telling anyone they're "better than cars", rather acknowledging that as humans (you, I and all of us) we make mistakes, and either design accordingly or accept these tragedies as a sort of collateral damage.

3 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Jul 26, 2016 at 9:41 pm

And in the other article just today, the city proudly announced that Embarcadero will become a greenway for bicyclists.

This is even odder than their plan to make Middlefied a bike route which was fortunately defeated due to community outrage when it was proposed this year after having been defeated 10 or 15 years ago as too dangerous.

Remember when the nice woman with the fluffy white dog and the tall flag on the back of her wheelchair was run down and killed about 5 years ago on Embarcero by some distracted mommy rushing to pick her kids up?

Both are absurdly busy and dangerous streets and have only gotten worse over the years.

If you're going to preach biking, at least pick streets that aren't dangerous. So sad and frustrating that the city planners and transportation folks keep ignoring reality.

Posted by David
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:15 pm

[Post removed.]

8 people like this
Posted by People are better than cars
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:21 pm

It is just getting better.
Yes, people ARE better than cars. Both - people who walk the streets and people who are in those cars.

Can we please stop the nonsense? Discussing where the 80-year old man was - on the crossing or not, and how many yards he might have flown before he died. [Portion removed.]

Is is disturbing to me that posts protecting the rights of motorists attract 40-50 likes, whereas posts calling for more control - 10, or so.

Be honest. Who thinks that the driver in this tragedy was going under 25 mph? I am absolutely convinced that driving under 25 and not texting makes it completely impossible to not notice a crossing 80-year old and to not have enough time to brake.

The police has got to be out there on the streets giving tickets for speeding, for texting, for being on the phone, and for jay-walking, by the way. [Portion removed.]

4 people like this
Posted by Confused
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 26, 2016 at 11:04 pm

[Portion removed.]

Just yesterday I was taking my kids to camp, early morning, driving down Middlefield to Shoreline....bicyclist cut out in front of me, I didn't see him/her until right in front of me due to shadows and angle of sun that early in the morning. Damn near hit him. I'm a very attentive, very good driver, and I damn near hit an idiot who hasn't a clue. Stop this madness, make each and every person accountable for their actions.

Done.

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 9 comments | 1,381 views