Palo Alto man reported missing

Police: No foul play involved

UPDATE: Andrew Pearl was located and is safe, an employee for his father, Dr. Samuel Pearl, confirmed Friday, July 29. Pearl, 30, was located by police at La Selva Group, a facility on Forest Avenue that is run by Momentum for Mental Health, according to Palo Alto police dispatches.

---

A 30-year-old Palo Alto man has been missing for almost a week, Palo Alto police said Sunday.

Andrew Pearl was last seen leaving his Palo Alto residence at Middlefield Road and Forest Avenue on the evening of July 11, according to the police and a missing persons flier. No foul play is involved.

Pearl is 5 feet, 9 inches tall with a heavy build. While he can have curly brown hair, as pictured in a photograph police provided, he recently cut it short, police said. He may be wearing blue jeans, a T-shirt and white sneakers with red stripes.

He may have also been in a hooded sweatshirt, according to the flier, which asks the public to "Please help locate our much loved son, brother and friend."

He is quiet and generally keeps to himself or small groups of people. He is considered an "endangered" person, according to the flier.

Police ask anyone who has seen Pearl to call the department's 24-hour dispatch center at 650-329-2413.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

9 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 18, 2016 at 8:23 am

I have seen this on social media, posted by PAPD.

If they don't know where he is and his family don't know where he is, how can they say they don't suspect foul play? If they don't know, how can they rule that out?

I hope someone sees all this and if he just went off without telling anyone and he is having a good time on vacation somewhere he will realize he should have told someone his plans. Hope he is found safe soon.

14 people like this
Posted by Suspicious
on Jul 18, 2016 at 8:30 am

Suspicious is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

9 people like this
Posted by What is Going On?
on Jul 18, 2016 at 10:03 am

[Post removed.]

8 people like this
Posted by Tom from Midtown
on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:04 am

Tom from Midtown is a registered user.

Resident:

Actually, I think it's totally appropriate for the police not to suspect foul play or anything else. Once there is some sort of evidence one way or another, that's when you start to form a suspicion. However, the article actually says, "No foul play is involved", which I find almost silly. There isn't any indication (in the story) that evidence exists to support this. Seems like a staff story that was thrown together rather sloppily and edited even more so.

9 people like this
Posted by parent
a resident of Mayfield
on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:14 am

This article, including the "foul play" statement, is almost a word-for-word copy of the police press release. If the police explained why no foul play is involved and also where he had been living, that might help residents look for him in the appropriate places.

Police press release: Web Link

91 people like this
Posted by Sam Pearl
on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:30 am

Thank you for your comments. I am Andrew's father. Andrew is well known in the Palo Alto community. He has a schizophrenia which is a real disease like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis and like all diseases it requires continual treatment. Andrew stopped taking his medications about 3 weeks ago for unknown reasons. He is very quiet, respectful and friendly. We would just like to find him and make sure that he is safe. He is definitely not on vacation having a good time. any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you.
Sam and Leslie Pearl
[phone number removed]

48 people like this
Posted by anon
on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:39 am

*Sam Pearl

I am sorry you have not only lost your son but that you have to read these stupid questions and comments from people who need to argue every point in the article. I would like to ask all these people to stop and think of the families involved before they start commenting.

My deepest worries and sympathy are with you and the Pearl family and I hope he is found safe and sound soon.

17 people like this
Posted by Tom from Midtown
on Jul 18, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Tom from Midtown is a registered user.

Sam and Leslie -

My heart goes out to you. It does seem less likely that "foul play" is involved, and for that we're all grateful. Do you think it's more likely than not that Andrew is somewhere in your neighborhood, or any other particular neighborhood? That might help make folks just that much more aware as they go about walks, errands, etc.

I think you have a lot of people whose fingers are crossed for Andrew's safe return.

Best regards,
Tom Goodrich

18 people like this
Posted by Ellen
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 18, 2016 at 1:53 pm

The "related past stories" box at the bottom left hand side of the page, is entirely offensive.
How the hell are these related?

Police: Man gropes 15-year-old girl walking in Palo Alto
May. 9, 2016

Suspects sought in high-end purse heist in Palo Alto
Jun. 6, 2016

Palo Alto man arrested for alleged rape
Jul. 5, 2016

19 people like this
Posted by Theresa
on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Pearl,

I'm so sorry this has happened...it must be very frightening. I shared your son's photo on social networking and will do so again if needed. I'm hoping/praying he comes home to you safely, and soon.

18 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Dear Sam, i've seen your boy around but not lately. Kept to himself but always smiled back. I lost my son to schizophrenia. People have no idea. Hope for the best.

13 people like this
Posted by So Sorry
on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm

My best friend lost her eldest son to this disease, after decades of cycles in which he would stop taking his meds, because he felt he no longer needed them. Then, in the next cycle, he would find himself in bad situations, not remembering what he did. Sometimes he got into legal trouble. These would end with a new cycle of realizing he needed the meds after all.

[Portion removed.]

17 people like this
Posted by L Smith
on Jul 18, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I have had the pleasure of knowing the Pearl family since I was young. As Sam said Andrew is a kind, gentile, and quiet person. He often walks around downtown Palo Alto though I have not seen him in the last week or so. Please keep an eye out for him.

11 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for the added information with mention of his health issues. It makes a lot more sense now.

How sad, and I hope he is found safe soon.

10 people like this
Posted by Jo
on Jul 18, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Pearl,

It's sad that you had to jump in and disclose Andrew's medical condition to people who just din't know when to write their opinion and when to be sarcastic. Now that people know about Andrew's health condition he is in a lot of people's mind and prayers. Let's all hope for his safe returns.

Please stay strong and have hope. You have lots of supporters please feel free to ask for help.

Hoping for the best,
Jo

13 people like this
Posted by Jet pilot
a resident of Stanford
on Jul 18, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Mr. Pearl-- we'll keep your son in our thoughts and prayers. As a dad, my heart goes out to you.

9 people like this
Posted by I will look
on Jul 18, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Please know neighbors, friends, and Palo Alto community will look for him.
Palo Alto mom and wife

10 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of Meadow Park
on Jul 18, 2016 at 10:03 pm

I went to high school with Andrew. I have this image of him in my memory. He always wore a baggy sweater and rode around on a skateboard. He was such a laid back kid and easy to hang out with. Hope he turns up soon.

3 people like this
Posted by Mother of a Friend
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Mr and Mrs. Pearl, I'm so sorry for your anguish and pray and hope this is resolved happily soon. Will share on FB.

6 people like this
Posted by anonymous
on Jul 19, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Please support those with mental illness and THEIR friends/family.

If you have not been associated with mental illness, then please confine your arrogant, thoughtless, uninformed thoughts to yourselves.

There is more mental illness around than you think.

7 people like this
Posted by John Jacobs
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jul 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm

My heart goes out to the Pearls, hoping your son will return soon. Even in our well-educated community, there is still much misunderstanding and stigma surrounding mental illness. Unfortunately, sensationalist articles/stories which attract the most media attention often involve mental illness of some kind.

Those who suffer from these illnesses deserve as much compassion as those with physical illnesses. As a society, we must do a much better job of allocating resources and providing adequate services, in both hospital and clinical settings, so the mentally ill don't end up homeless, in jail or worse.

For those looking for help for an ill family member, or for yourself as a caregiver, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has lots of support groups and programs in the local area. Simply go to www.namisantaclara.org to get connected.

12 people like this
Posted by Donna Hansen
a resident of Los Altos
on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:57 am

My son Byron and Andrew were childhood friends. I'm so very sorry to hear about Andrew disappearance and disease. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time in hopes this will be resolve soon.

2 people like this
Posted by Barbara
on Jul 23, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I pray you find Andrew safe, my heart goes out to you and Leslie.

Posted by Community Member
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 27, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Dear Pearl Family,

Was hoping to find some good news here. I'm still praying for and thinking about you all.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 69 comments | 6,518 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,003 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 852 views