Postal worker taken to hospital after allegedly making threats

Incident took place at East Bayshore post office Wednesday morning

A postal worker was placed in a psychiatric hold at the East Bayshore Road post office in East Palo Alto early Wednesday morning after making threats against his supervisor, police said.

The confrontation started at about 9:09 a.m. in the employee parking lot behind the post office, located at 2085 East Bayshore Road, according to police. Workers notified police of the incident.

The man, who is in his 30s, allegedly used the expression, "I'm locked and loaded," police Sgt. Wayne Benitez said, adding that the man may have some "underlying medical issue."

Because of the man's mental state and the presence of patrons at the post office, as well as a school nearby, police officers acted "quick and efficient in de-escalating the situation," Benitez said.

The man was located in the parking lot and taken into custody without incident, Benitez said. No weapon was found, and there were no reports of injuries.

The man will not be charged with any crime, Benitez said. He was transported to a nearby medical facility for psychiatric evaluation, he added.

---

Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Comments

6 people like this
Posted by Jeff
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:42 am

What does mental state mean ? Was he a raving lunatic or just upset. Using the phrase locked and loaded should not be a reason to "hold" someone. He did not offer resistance to the law enforcement officers, and had no weapons on him. So it comes down to if he made any threats to anyone? Which this article does not mentioned.

6 people like this
Posted by Concerned Coach
on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Concerned Coach is a registered user.

The term "going postal" happens because the USPS treats their employees with no dignity especially when they hire female letter carriers. Women in the USPS get belittled by their line supervisors who by the way get promoted because they could not cut it - while working as Clerks - Carriers or Mail handlers.

The USPS has issues and it lies in the managerial area.

14 people like this
Posted by I can see why....
on Jun 16, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I can see why.... is a registered user.

That particular USPS branch is one of the worst I have ever been in. The employees are badly underpaid, treated like they are worthless, and then go on to treat their patrons as they have been treated. I avoid it like the plague, whenever possible!!!

9 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:26 pm

It is apparent from the daily misdeliveries that our mail delivery person can read neither numbers nor the English alphabet.

Why isn't it a requirement for the mail delivery roles that candidates must be able to read?

3 people like this
Posted by NoMoPa
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:47 pm

@I can see why.... - The employees at the Bayshore office might be badly underpaid, but they don't appear to be working very hard in that office, so I might argue they are overpaid. I love our carrier though, great person that goes above and beyond.

5 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Jun 16, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Many people on NextDoor and elsewhere have complained about missing mail, getting someone else's mail, late mail, showing up for appointments with the branch manager and getting stood up, etc. etc. and have all been advised to write to Anna Eshoo so it's clear that branch has problems.

Two personal anecdotes: 1) When I complained about some a few mail problems, our semi-regular carrier said that the manager at the Bayshore branch is the absolute worst he's had and 2) I mentioned our mail problems to a friend was a mailman downtown manager who described how bad the manager is; only then did I learn that he'd finally quit in disgust thereby taking a large hit in his pension benefits.

Posted by Mail Carrier
a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:40 am

What in the mail is so important that threats have to be made? No one sends money anymore. If they did why don't you have a locked box? There are several package delivery services. Really what is so important?

5 people like this
Posted by JB
a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 17, 2016 at 11:13 am

The duties that have to be performed to get mail and parcels out to clients is very tough and the demands are for robots not humans. There is so much room for error, although still most carriers are 90% accurate. If only our clients truly knew the process and what goes on behind the scenes. We also drive around or walk dealing with all the elements. And yes management treats you like shit at times by undermining and focusing ONLY on the distribution of mail no matter how it gets done. Trust me, the job has its perks but there is a reason why so many people quit...and lose their sensibility all together. It's a very hard job physically and mentally. All postal workers but especially carriers, are sooo underpaid, considering what the job demands - expects!

Posted by batia
on Jun 18, 2016 at 9:01 am

I too have have had problems with the East Bayshore PO. My regular carrier is awesome but when he is on vacation mail delivery is random. When we travel i have my mail forwarded. I fill out the forms on line about four weeks before we leave. I purposely begin the forwarding a few days before we actually plan on leaving. The mail is delivered despite the forwarding date. Even once the forwarding starts,mail that should be forwarded is dropped at my house. Trying to reach the office is nearly impossible. Either no one answers or I am put on indefinite hold.

I have filed complaints with the federal USPS office about this PO and also filed a complaint with Anita Eshoo's office.

Posted by guy potter
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jun 27, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Its a double standard I had to file a eeo with intercom use done by management as well as general coworker rude behavior comments that ended myself for psyche eval. Its a 2 way street provoke the person as much as possible and when the person provokes back send to a psyche ward and gaslight pretending the other party doesn't know anything. I am glad I am in private industry now where the crap doesn't go on and no one trying to get their relatives a job in place of mine.

Posted by Plane Speaker
on Jun 28, 2016 at 6:33 pm

>> Using the phrase locked and loaded should not be a reason to "hold" someone.

Words have meanings and comments like that even under stress or duress need to
be evaluated. It is a problem for the Police to make a psychiatric determination
about someone so it boils down to stuff like this. They probably do not hold
someone unless they have a reason or the someone is uncooperative.

If nothing else it should point out to the someone who said that to be more thoughtful
about what they say in the future.

Truckee cafe to expand to Menlo Park

Attraction to a Person Outside Your Relationship
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 824 views

One more year
By Cheryl Bac | 2 comments | 817 views

Registration now open

Sign up for the 33rd annual Palo Alto Weekly Moonlight Run and Walk. This family-friendly event which benefits local nonprofits serving kids and families will take place on Friday, Oct. 6 at the Palo Alto Baylands.

Register Here