Sports

Stanford football planning for the future with game near Boston

Stanford announced Monday the addition of a future football series with Boston College.

The Cardinal face the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, on Sept. 2, 2028. Boston College will travel to Stanford Stadium on Sept. 15, 2029.

Stanford and Boston College have met four times, most recently in 2002. The series is tied at 2-2. The Cardinal is 9-10 all-time against current Atlantic Coast Conference teams.

Stanford's 2016 season opener will be Sept. 2 at Stanford Stadium against Kansas State, the first meeting between the programs.

In 2002, Buddy Teevens made his Stanford coaching debut in a 34-27 loss at Boston College. The Cardinal took a 27-17 lead into the fourth quarter but couldn't maintain the momentum.

Quarterback Kyle Matter made his collegiate debut against the Eagles and fared well. He completed 17 of 27 passes for 244 yards and a seven-yard touchdown pass to Teyo Johnson. He also ran 10 yards for another score.

— Stanford Athletics

Comments

Posted by Father of 3
on Jun 15, 2016 at 9:18 am

Considering the well-publicized brain injury danger from playing football, making a big deal about setting up a game 12 years from now seems a bit trite. How come we never hear any discussion (none I've seen) in our local papers about the wisdom of continuing the brain-injuring machine known as Cardinal Football? Or if it is ever discussed, the discussion quickly fades away. I was recently speaking with the head of a New England prep school whose school finally, after 49 years, won the N.E. Small Prep School bowl championship game, of which they were very proud. I asked them what they are doing to minimize the potential head injuries for their student-athletes. He confidentially said they expect there to be no football program at the school within 3 years. Less and less parents were letting their boys play football. That was pretty astonishing to me since the headmaster had himself gone to the school, played football there and was a huge booster himself. But it can be done!

Posted by Matt
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:13 am

Father of 3, so you are saying that adults shouldn't have control/say over what goes on involving their own bodies? I'm pro-choice for football!!!

4 people like this
Posted by Father of 3
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:34 am

Matt: Absolutely, adults should have control/say over their own bodies. What part of my comment opposed that rule?

Posted by Matt
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:44 am

Father of 3: "How come we never hear any discussion (none I've seen) in our local papers about the wisdom of continuing the brain-injuring machine known as Cardinal Football?"

It seems that you are advocating banning football at Stanford, because it is a "brain-injuring machine". If adults should have control/say over their own bodies (brain included), then it should be up to the participant whether or not to participate, not up to the community/legislators/administrators/enlightened few.

Long live football! Down with the helicopter parents (of 3)!

Posted by @Matt
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:47 am

So I guess you have no idea what CTE stands for, do you, sport?

2 people like this
Posted by Father of 3
on Jun 15, 2016 at 11:04 am

Matt: I am not "advocating banning football at Stanford." What I would like to see in these and other pages, is a discussion on whether or not it is an activity that is in the best interests of the students and Stanford community going forward. Everything that goes on on campus needs to pass that test. I am not expecting the "community/legislators/administrators/enlightened few" to ban it, at least in the next couple of years. Don't worry, there will probably always be enough young men willing to risk their health for your personal enjoyment.

Posted by Matt
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 11:25 am

Ah yes, the ol' deciding "whether or not it is an activity that is in the best interests..."

I love when governing bodies decide what is in the best interests of my body, and make laws banning certain activities accordingly. (sarc)

The hypocrisy and inconsistency on social issues in this town is nauseating.

Posted by @Matt
on Jun 15, 2016 at 11:27 am

"I love when governing bodies decide what is in the best interests of my body, and make laws banning certain activities accordingly."

If they didn't have to pay for your shenanigans, it wouldn't be necessary, would it now?

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,359 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 262 views