News

Easter Sunday blaze sparked by oily rags

Downtown fire broke out in city Development Center building

A fire at an office under remodeling in downtown Palo Alto across from City Hall early Sunday morning caused about $50,000 in damage, fire officials said Monday.

An on-duty officer saw the blaze at 285 Hamilton Ave. and reported it to dispatch shortly before 4 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief Catherine Capriles said.

Firefighters arrived to find the blaze on the fourth floor at an office for Houzz, a Palo Alto-based company that runs an online home-design website, according to Capriles.

The fire was briefly upgraded to a second-alarm response but was quickly downgraded, she said.

Firefighters broke windows to release smoke at the office space and extinguished the blaze by about 4:15 a.m., according to Capriles.

Investigators found a pile of oily rags that sparked the fire, she said.

The fire caused around $50,000 in damage to the office's contents, according to Capriles.

No injuries were reported and the building was unoccupied when the fire started, Capriles said.

The building also houses the city's Planning and Community Environment Department's Development Center, which takes up the first and second floors and was not impacted by the fire, she said.

— Bay City News Service

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Couple brings Chinese zongzi to Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 5,985 views

Don't Miss Your Exit (and other lessons from an EV drive)
By Sherry Listgarten | 9 comments | 1,805 views

Goodbye Food Waste!
By Laura Stec | 4 comments | 1,560 views

"Better" Dads and "Re-invigorated" Moms: Happier Couples
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,211 views

The kindness of strangers
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 509 views

 

Register today!

‚ÄčOn Friday, October 11, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More