Sports

Stanford's Cartwright out with fractured forearm

 

Sophomore guard Robert Cartwright sustained a compound fracture in his forearm during a routine drill on Monday and will be lost indefinitely, Stanford men's basketball coach Johnny Dawkins said Tuesday.

Cartwright, expected to be the Cardinal's starting point guard, is the latest causality for Stanford, which will likely start the season without Marcus Allen, Malcolm Allen and Grant Verhoeven as well.

"He lost his balance going through traffic and landed funny," said Dawkins, who spent time with Cartwright at the hospital Monday night and Tuesday morning. "It was a routine play. It shows you how fragile our sport is."

Cartwright averaged 1.9 points and 0.9 rebounds a year ago. He was replacing Chasson Randle, who set a school record for all-time 3-pointers last year in helping Stanford win the NIT title.

Christian Sanders is the likely replacement and could share the job with freshman Cameron Walker.

Malcolm Allen appears to be the closest to returning to the lineup. He has been participating in practice in a limited role.

Marcus Allen and Verhoeven could return in December. Dawkins would not speculate on Cartwright's timeline.

Stanford, picked to finish ninth in the Pac-12, opens the season at home on Friday, Nov. 13 against Wisconsin-Green Bay as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

In related news, Pasadena Maranatha senior Trevor Stanback, 6-10, committed to Stanford on Monday according to a report by The Bootleg.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Rose International Market reopening soon in Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 8 comments | 3,915 views

The trauma of having to renew my California driver’s license
By Diana Diamond | 13 comments | 1,744 views

Eyes and the End of Life: Why Spend Time With the Dying?
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,619 views

Downtown Commercial Cap: Once more into the breach
By Douglas Moran | 4 comments | 1,470 views

Couples: Myth: You Can't Ask Your Partner to Change
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,336 views

 

Short story writers wanted!

The 33rd Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult (15-17) and Teen (12-14) categories. Send us your short story (2,500 words or less) and entry form by March 29. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category.

Contest Details