Tour bus with Palo Alto singing group caught on fire on Highway 17

No injuries reported, CHP officials say

A tour bus carrying dozens of students who were part of a Palo Alto singing group caught fire Friday evening on state Highway 17 in Santa Cruz County, according to the California Highway Patrol.

No injuries were reported.

The 54 students ranged between elementary school and high school students who were heading to Santa Cruz, CHP officials said.

Palo Alto Unified School District Music Coordinator Nancy Coffey said that the students were not part of a district-sponsored group.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m. Friday, the 1999 Dina bus was heading south on Highway 17 south of Granite Creek Road, where the driver saw smoke coming from the bus's rear and pulled over to the right shoulder, CHP officials said.

Everyone on the bus safely evacuated from the vehicle before the rear of the bus became engulfed in flames, according to the CHP.

Two lanes were initially closed but one was reopened soon after the blaze was extinguished, CHP officials said.

The other lane remained closed until around 8 p.m. for the group to be picked up from the scene and the bus to betowed, according to the CHP.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Comments

1 person likes this
Posted by parent
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Whoa. So glad no one was hurt.

What group has students of such diverse age range?

Posted by Commenter

on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Remember me?
Forgot Password?
Due to violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are only visible to registered users who are logged in. Use the links at the top of the page to Register or Login.

4 people like this
Posted by Another
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Another useless report. If the Weekly is not going to report and provide information, why reproduce information-less stories here? I hate "news" that creates questions rather than providing information. I could learn more hanging out at Philz.

2 people like this
Posted by maditalian_1492
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:48 pm

maditalian_1492 is a registered user.

I logged in just to be able to see Commenter's statement. Just what was so objectionable about what this person wrote? Why it was blocked to non-registered viewers. Frankly, I thought the comment was interesting.

2 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:01 pm

@Another, the story looked pretty informative to me. Bay City News Service. Exactly the kind of brief article I'd be looking for if I were caught in that traffic or saw all the emergency vehicles racing that direction. Might want deeper details if I personally knew someone involved, but then I could just ask them.

@maditalian, yes the blocked post was of interest. I suspect @Commenter is on temporary detention due to previous recent transgressions. If the post itself was in violation, it could have been summarily deleted.

4 people like this
Posted by Another
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:44 pm

@musical,

I guess your standards for news are pretty low. I guess from your perspective, you just wanted a traffic report, while I wanted news.

How would one know if they knew someone on the bus? "A Palo Alto singing group" is pretty generic. Was it really so much trouble to find out WHICH Palo Alto singing group and where they were going?

Obviously, if I was close enough to someone on the bus to have heard it from them, I would really have no need of this "news" at all, would I?

So I guess we agree - this was not news, it was just a traffic report.

Posted by Resident
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:03 am

I recently posted from a public wifi and it went straight to a similar mode. I posted the same comment later from home, no problem. I think places like the library get deleted almost straight away. Nothing to do with the comment or the person, but the computer and wifi URL.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:27 am

@Resident, thanks. That makes sense. My home DSL is showing up as Richardson Texas right now and various website behavior changes depending on where they think I am. Mystery to me.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,359 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 262 views