News


Palo Alto teen booked for allegedly cooking hash oil, starting fire

Residents in neighboring apartments displaced because of water damage, police said

A teenager who police said was cooking hash oil in his Palo Alto apartment was arrested Thursday night after he started a fire that displaced several residents in the apartment complex.

The 17-year-old male, whose identity is not being released because he is a juvenile, was reportedly trying to make hash oil in the kitchen at around 8:40 p.m. Police said he was using the kitchen stove and liquid butane to make the liquid substance, a concentrated form of cannabis that can be smoked or ingested. The teenager briefly left the stove unattended and a fire started, triggering the building's sprinkler system, police said.

The Palo Alto Fire Department received calls from several residents about the fire, but when police officers and firefighters arrived on scene they found that the fire had already been extinguished by the sprinkler system, according to police.

The fire damaged the kitchen but was otherwise contained, police said. Yet both the teenager's apartment and two neighboring apartments sustained major water damage and were deemed uninhabitable for the night. American Red Cross workers helped the residents in the neighboring apartments obtain shelter for the night, police said.

In investigating the fire, police said they determined that once the fire was extinguished, the teen tossed the butane canisters down a nearby trash chute and tried to flush down the toilet a "substantial amount of marijuana."

After paramedics treated him for a burn on his arm, the teenager was cited for one felony count of manufacturing hash oil and one misdemeanor count of destruction of evidence. He was released into the custody of a parent, police said.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the department's 24-hour dispatch center at 650-329-2413. Anonymous tips can be emailed to paloalto@tipnow.org or sent via text message or voice mail to 650-383-8984.

Comments

3 people like this
Posted by Slow Down
a resident of Community Center
on Jun 26, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Slow Down is a registered user.

At least he wasn't cooking meth...


7 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 26, 2015 at 6:34 pm

From what I understand according to the rules, that is grounds for immediate eviction, allowing the next family in line to get one of those apartments.


1 person likes this
Posted by Sara
a resident of University South
on Jun 26, 2015 at 9:28 pm

This occurred in which apts?


Like this comment
Posted by Eh?
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 26, 2015 at 9:52 pm

The next family in line? You must know more than what is published in this article.


Like this comment
Posted by not in log
a resident of Midtown
on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:13 pm

This is NOT listed in the PAPD log:
Web Link
The use of this form of concentrated cannabis is a huge problem for local teens.


1 person likes this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Sometimes you need to read between the lines, but here's the PAPD press release -- Web Link


2 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:22 pm

It's in your linked log as incident #150003795 -- 06/25/2015, 20:47,
Ramona St, N&D misc, CT (Misdemeanor Citation)


1 person likes this
Posted by Eh?
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 26, 2015 at 11:36 pm

OK, so based on the Ramona address it is known to be BMR housing?

I'm really surprised PAPD is publicizing so much information so soon:

"When the teen left the stove unattended momentarily, a fire started, activating the apartment’s sprinkler system. Once the fire was extinguished, the suspect threw the butane canisters into a nearby trash chute and attempted to flush a substantial amount of marijuana down a toilet."

Seems much of that information would still be "under investigation."


3 people like this
Posted by Reader
a resident of another community
on Jun 27, 2015 at 8:47 am

[Post removed.]


11 people like this
Posted by dealer?
a resident of Midtown
on Jun 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

[Post removed.]


3 people like this
Posted by Kazu
a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

Wouldn't it have been easier to bake some magic brownies instead? If there is a need for weed in downtown, why not allow a dispensary or two in the area? It is certainly better than having artisan hash oil entrepreneurs filling the void.

"The incident is likely enough for the apartment manager to start the process in forcing these tenants out."

So one person tries to start the Towering Inferno and everyone gets punished Criminals need to get das boot, but also punishing innocent people is just wrong.


Like this comment
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 27, 2015 at 1:53 pm

The suggestion was limited to just the tenants in the single apartment,
not the entire complex.


Like this comment
Posted by Kazu
a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 27, 2015 at 2:16 pm

"The suggestion was limited to just the tenants in the single apartment,
not the entire complex."

One would expect that the tenants would get booted out. The 17 year old who started the fire, certainly. His parents are responsible for his behavior, so it would be no surprise if they got evicted. Their continued might well pose a clear danger to the other residents of the complex. Landlords generally don't tolerate illegal drugs and fire hazards well, nor should they.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 39 comments | 1,421 views

Global Warming Diet
By Laura Stec | 5 comments | 1,217 views

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,071 views

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 587 views

 

Pre-registration ends tomorrow!

​On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More